Pterodactyls on the fly

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Congrats kids.
    Took my first ride on Saturday.
    Brilliant motorcycle.
    Gonna shoot for Seward on Saturday.
    Fite IMG_4145.JPG
    AKmud and cyclopathic like this.
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a Helite airvest.
  3. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good little rip kids.
    Made a recon run this evening.
    Trying to get a first hand look at JohnyLaw activities. Great evening!

Spotted a pair of white whales!
    Fite

D22A1EEE-7C6E-430E-9029-C385C97E5262.jpeg
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like very good weather up there in the Northland. Down here in Tropical Montana we got four inches of snow today. The Grizwalds are looking at eight inches and blizzard conditions tonight and tomorrow. Supposed to be in the 50s this weekend so more riding soon.
  5. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0024.JPG So I'm somewhere in Georgia and a guy says "You ever do any long distance?""No, I just go wherever my little buddy takes me."
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spousal Unit and I took off Friday for a two week ride around the west. Plan is to ride to Washington and the Cascade Hwy then south thru Oregon and spend a few days riding in northren Kalifornia. After that maybe Colorado.

We made it to Republic, WA on day one and camped. Then the rain started. Rain in the Pacific Northwest..... who knew?

On Saturday the ride on Hwy 20 was great. We were in and out of rain, but the scenery is fantastic and traffic very light. The Cascade Hwy is one of our favorites. We made it to Washington Pass where it was 39* and raining. This was taken a few miles east of the pass.

[​IMG]

As we descended the west side the sky turned blue, the temperature rose and things turned into a smoldering pile of crap.

SU’s Throttle Position Sensor, on her 2017 R1200GS with 4000 miles, stopped sensing and her bike would only idle. Happened as she was doing 60 MPH and she had to coast to the side of the road. After a restart the TPS functioned normally. We made it to Seattle BMW at 4 PM on Saturday and they were helpful in diagnosing the problem. It is a warranty issue but the part will take 4-5 days to get, after they order it on Tuesday. We decided to head for home and hope the TPS lasted. The mechanic in Seattle showed us a reset procedure and said it could work for a year or fail in 5 miles. Riding thru Seattle is a joy and doing it in heavy rain just more icing on the cake. We decided not to try to go over Snoqualmie Pass in frog straggling rain so found a room in the Bates Motel. Today the rain lifted and we made it to east WA before the TPS failed 4 times on I-90 within 80 miles. It was dangerous, of course, because it happened without warning. So now we are in Spokane and tomorrow I will ride home (300 miles) and get our trailer. There is a dealer here but we do not want to wait here to have it fixed We will tow the bike to Missoula and leave it there until fixed. SU will get her F800GS and we will head to CO. Good times...:dirtdog
    Beezer likes this.
  7. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear TPS went south. This does not bode well for someone I know who has a nearly identical bike. Good thing for backup transport.
  8. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 or 5 days is normal parts delivery time in Fairbanks. Doesn’t help now, but YVOR or traveler down gets the part in 2 days.
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Seattle guys said there is one TPS in the USA at a dealership in TX. The said ours will come from Germany and that I should ask that it be VOR.
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Stay close to your phone. 4 new ShowerHeads are heading to/towards Dawson next Friday.
    What are the odds!!
    Might need your expertise on the reset drill.
    Fite
  11. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    We are headed to Missoula tomorrow. Let me know if we can help. Fite has my number.
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    We got the bike to Big Sky Motorsports yesterday. The Service Manager, Buster, and Master Tech, Andy, have always treated us well. I tend to only use the dealership for warranty work but both these guys have been great to deal with and competent in their jobs. Andy got on the bike right away and within an hour I see him riding away on a test ride. When he returns he says she is good to go. The TPS did not need replacement. There is a bulletin out that says if certain TPS related codes are present, then the tech is to change the tolerances that the main computer will accept from the TPS. The bulletin has been out since February. SU rode the bike home (120 miles) without issue. I followed in my truck, pulling a trailer. I got the impression she is going to expect the Ewan and Charlie "Long Way Round" treatment in the future. So Dave, you should have that certain someone's bike checked or you too may become the support vehicle driver.

[​IMG]

We are home today and head to the Grand Targhee Resort south of Yellowstone tomorrow.
    AKmud likes this.
  13. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear that! Bike was just in for break-in check, will follow up on bulletin.
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the Tetons of western Wyoming.

[​IMG]

34 degrees and light drizzle at 10,000 feet. We did not exactly ride to 10,000 feet.

[​IMG]
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ended up heading up to eastern Montana. Spent the last two days visiting MT State Parks as part of our quest to visit all 53 parks this year. Today was the first day in the past week that we did not ride in the rain.

Medicine Rock State Park

[​IMG]

Makoshika State Park (Land of the Dinosaur)

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  16. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Heading out to FLA on the 5th. Going to have about 3 months of epic riding.
    Watch this space.
    Fite
    Bigbob1 and AKmud like this.
  17. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

Maybe you should take off to Fla with a 5th
    Gezerbike likes this.
  18. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should be passing through Silver City on the morning of the 4th. Well as close as I15 is to it.
  19. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it.
    Fite