Puppy Dog Route 2018 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by SRTie4k, May 14, 2018.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    The files for the Puppy Dog Route 2018 were just recently updated over on the BMW MOV site here. Almost the entirety of the PDR 2018 is new compared to PDR 2012, with only a few overlapping sections.

Here's a screenshot of the differences from Basecamp (PDR 2012 long is red, PDR 2012 short is dark red, PDR 2018 is black):

[​IMG]

A big thank you goes out to the BMW MOV guys for putting this whole thing together!

I have attached a GPX file with both Puppy Dog Route 2012 Long/Short and Puppy Dog Route 2018, as well as all POIs from the original files.

Note: the GPX files posted on the BMW MOV site are now routes only! This means you can only use them on a GPS, or any app that supports routes (I personally use Locus, which does not). The file I posted contains Puppy Dog Route 2012 long/short and Puppy Dog Route 2018 tracks, which work in Locus and numerous other Android and IOS apps. It also contains the following additions:
    • POIs from all BMW MOV GPX files, and tracks to each POI
    • One section removed from "official" files turned into "Expert" section in PDR 2018
    • Rerouted the section through Hartley Hill Rd in Westminster (this is actually private)
    • Retained the "original" track from Silver Lake to Greenfield from PDR 2012 (this was removed in the latest files)

Attached Files:

2. Forjas

Forjas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing on posting this! Thanks OP!

I’m planning to ride the TMT and (part of) PDR starting on the 27th if anyone wants to tag along shoot me a PM! (should probably start a thread on this)

I’m heading to Lincoln, VT from NJ and thought this dirt path will be the best ride up.

I will have to jump off midway of PDR to head to Lincoln, but not sure where yet as that will depend on mileage per day and fun factor. I need to be in Lincoln on the 30th night/31st early morning.
  3. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    Thanks for cleaning up the track and reposting!
  4. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting....looks like we can make a nice loop now, using both 2012 and 2018 tracks. A there & back....yea!!!!
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    That Montpelier to Newport route is damn near perfect. Right past Hill Farmstead and at Eden Cider's doorstep :p Two of my favorite places to buy kegs from.
    Tnkrplt and flei like this.
  6. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I just need to learn how to use a gps?............
    ndavis and vt wingman like this.
  7. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Or just download Locus Maps or Osmand to your smartphone and learn how to use that. You don't need a dedicated GPS unit these days.
    levain likes this.
  8. Forjas

Forjas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maps.me also works well if you're ok with a 'follow the line' concept. And its free.
  9. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @SRTie4k - Transferred your route over the the Garmin.
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    looking forward to someone doing this and commenting on how it differs from the original. Besides @AdamChandler very important observation of it heading past Hill Farmstead, what are the chances that its a little more, uhh, challenging? Frankly, the Puppy Dog might as well be paved, which is great for some, just thinking of options is all.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for cleaning and posting!

P.S. I know its big bike friendly, is it two up friendly? or advisable to stick to solo?
  12. flexfoot

flexfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A number of years ago; a fellow from Florida that never even been on a dirt road completed this ride on a Gold Wing land yacht.

In addition a guy on an MP-3 scooter completed it a few years ago.

This is not single track riding...........of course you can do two up !

If you want to motivate; this ride can be completed in one day..... I know someone who did that.

Hope this answers your question.
    AdamChandler and wilfred like this.
  13. MattR

MattR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting.

Anyone know about how much is off pavement?
  14. flexfoot

flexfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know about how much is off pavement?

What difference does it make ???
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    if you are talking about the 2018 route, i have no idea what the answer is, since i have not taken it. not even sure anyone other than the VT MOV guy, Dave, who posted the route has done it! if you are talking about older versions of the PDR, i have done them MANY times and i'd say they are maybe 40% pavement and 60% dirt. In VT, the dirt roads are often better than the paved ones (sans mud season), so paved or dirt there is not much difference in how "technical" the riding is.
    levain likes this.
  16. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I'd say the older one was more 70% dirt 30% pavement. There are very few stretches of blacktop, it's probably the most dirt oriented track in all the New England rides. But that's just how Vermont is, throw a dart at a map of Vermont and you're most likely going to hit a dirt road. Hell there's an all dirt state highway from Grafton to Windham (121).
  17. MattR

MattR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a decent amount of dirt, looking forward to doing it.
  18. kazamatzuri

kazamatzuri n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post and work you put in!
  19. billll

billll \m/

Oddometer:
    Rode a little of this today, thanks @SRTie4k for the tracks. Heads up, on Broad Brook Rd, right before you hit 89 / Sharon, there’s a massive washout. We backed up and crossed over in South Royalton.

35F6C03E-55C6-4B1F-88E3-3D35667B9398.jpeg
    danruss, MattF44 and Ishippineapples like this.
  20. 802mike

802mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Vermont Gateway to The Green Mtns
    I along with another member made the first northern route.
    Muriel and I were the only ones camping the first night. It
    was the first time I met her.
    I've done a few since and would like to do this year's.
    Is there a tutorial of how to upload this route to my Nav V?