1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Puppy Dog Route 2018 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by SRTie4k, May 14, 2018.

1. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    interested in doing a 2 day ride using some of this route. We have friends outside of Killington, so and ideal place for us to start.

Would like advice on a route where we can ride a day then camp somewhere remote, then ride back towards Killington (or south) the next day back to NYC. Prefer loop vs one way and back, but hey, this is New England; can't ask for everything!

Ideal would be some places with a view or pretty lake/village for rest stops. Bringing the mrs with me as a passenger. Easy dirt is fine, riding a big bike, but can climb a few hills and such if needed :-) 70/30 knobbie-ish tires.

She has a heated vest; I'll probably get some heated grips too and a good 0 degree sleeping bag.
  2. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Could do PDR 2018 up to the top, find somewhere to camp then do PDR 2012 back down. Roughly ~180 miles to the border for both from Killington (PDR 2012 also has a "long" version which is 230 miles from Killington).

Alternatively for pavement, Rt 100 is a great ride. You can mix in 73 (Brandon Gap), 125 (Middlebury Gap) and 17 (Appalachian Gap) for some beautiful and fun roads. Then go through 108 (Smuggler's Notch), head up towards Jay Peak via 242 or 58 (Hazen's Notch) for some excellent scenery. Now that Columbus Day weekend is done, it'll cut down on the tourists.

The colors are incredible up that way right now.
  3. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9/16/18 Ride report. I left central mass at 7:00. Made it to start in Greenfield by 8:15 after gassing up. Scenic dirt roads.... rivers.... covered bridges. Roads were more residential than i expected
    . It isn't like you can fly. A pickup truck or Subaru could be coming the other direction at any corner. In some areas there was way more car traffic than i would have expected. The road surfaces were very hard packed gravel. Stood up to recent rain very well. Some places they looked moist and greasy from clay base. My traction 6th sense warned me it could be slick and a two tire slide confirmed that. Did I mention dirt roads in VT are more residential than i would have imagined? Passed businesses, a day care, a school... all on dirt roads. Made it to about the 1/2 point of the PDR, to Woodstock Vermont by 2:00. Not easy finding gas on route until Woodstock. Forgot how many miles it was. Substantial, but less than 200. Had lunch at Worthy Kitchen (highly recommended) in Woodstock and had to head home due to family obligation. Can't wait to get up there and do the northern half. Fun ride. First half was probably 70% dirt roads.

One note: I passed a woman driving a horse from a buggy in the opposite direction. I thought i was going super slow and respectfully, but she still motioned me to slow down. I think it is important to note that many of these dirt roads are residential. Publicizing the PDR probably sends a lot of bikes through their neighborhoods. I think it's good to keep this in mind and drive conservatively and respectfully.

Attached Files:

Tallbastid and earguy like this.
  4. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    fyi
    whenever i encounter horses on any route
    i pull over and turn bike off
    then wait until they pass or signal me its ok to proceed
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  5. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too if they are being ridden. This was was trotting in my direction pulling a woman on a two wheeled cart. Thought best course was move over and coast slowly on by. Horse did not react.
  6. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    If on a road I'll slow and try and keep motor noise neutral but sure as hell am not stopping because someone decided to ride or drive a horse on a road. Now off road I will usually stop turn off motor and wait till they pass or wave me on.
    Tallbastid likes this.
  7. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    we did pdr12 over the summer and finished pdr18 last weekend with 1 night camping at onion river...pdr18 was better imho...thanks for plotting it.
    [​IMG]
  8. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    wilfred and interactive3 like this.
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  10. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally I just checked the site this last week for any updates, but didn't find any at the time.

I'll check it out on Monday and update the first post. I'm assuming this is primarily a reroute of the section through Westminster?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried downloading the tracks into GAIA and while it seemed to download, the tracks seem to be straight lines rather than following roads? I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong or the tracks and GAIA aren’t compatible?
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I certainly could have screwed up. but I have not tested them in Gaia yet just Basecamp. let's see if someone else can recreate?
  13. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only tried the one from Derby to Silver Lake as I’ve done some of the southern and would like to hit the northern section on a nice spring day.
  14. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey JojoJones,

I stayed at Meadowcrest Campground right down the road from Onion Campground. I took Beaver Meadow rd to get to the 2018 PDR. 95% dirt, maybe 98%. Here's the gps track. First day I went north on 2018 PDR and back to Campground. Second day, went 120 miles or so South and back. Third day went South and hooked up to the 2012 PDR. I'm looking to get from where "Country RD and Cranberry Meadow rd" meet to get over to the 2012 PDR so I can do a Loop instead of a there and back, Hopefully
    Dirt. By the way how was the Onion Campground? I might stay there next time(this summer).
    hich

P.S. I used 2010 garmin map for GPX Track, you may have to go over it if you have a new version of Garmin maps!

Attached Files:

15. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    onion was run by a nice couple...not great, not bad...it was the only campsite I found still open since it was dipping in to the 30s at night at that time.
  16. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded Hitch’s tracks to Gaia to see if they worked and followed roads, they appear to. The earlier link to the Beemer club site might not work for some?....or I’m just doing something wrong!
  17. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I have updated the first post and GPX file to reflect recent changes.
    interactive3 likes this.
  18. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't mind finding time to ride it again. Really enjoyed it and this gives me a chance to say thank you once more to those that put it together.

Hey Jojo, gotta ask. By any chance do those two fellas in your photo share any DNA?? :-)

19. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I believe GAIA only supports tracks (which I've provided in the first post), not routes (which is what's on the BMW MOV site), which is why you see straight lines.

Try the GPX I just updated in the first post.
  20. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I’m tech challenged, so this is all a bit new for me. I’ll give it a try!