Puppy Dog Route 2018 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by SRTie4k, May 14, 2018.

1. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re a genius! It worked, and looks like there’s a detour over some gaps in the Greens. Can’t wait for some nice riding weather!
  2. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    Can this be done in 2 days? I'll also need to find a convenient hotel (not camping this time). SO if anyone knows a convenient place to stay about mid way up I'd be grateful.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can absolutely do it in 2 days.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    With some commitment you can even do it in one day.
    NHBill likes this.
  5. redrider7202

redrider7202 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So turns out I have the friday before memorial day off and am thinking about spending a day or two doing this (or part, or whatever). Any tips for a first time adventurer (period actually) on this route? Or should I just avoid it that weekend?
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    You should be fine to go. The route is mostly dirt roads and small paved back roads, so traffic should not be an issue. Not that traffic is ever an issue in rural VT. There are no technical sections. The only variables re: difficulty are weather (i.e., if it rains it will be more muddy/slippery), and fresh grading/gravel if any has been recently spread. Even then, almost every dirt road has a paved detour you can take. Where do you plan to spend the night? If in a campground (e.g., at the mid-way point at Silver Lake State Park, which IMO is a very nice campground) it might be worth making a reservation due to the holiday weekend. Mem. Day is when most of the State Parks open for the season. Obviously, instead, there are plenty of places to stealth camp in VT. I've done the lower portion maybe 10 times (start is 20" from my house) and the upper twice. It's an enjoyable, scenic, quiet way to see Vermont.
  7. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My advice is pretend there is a pickup truck coming around every corner. Lack of traffic may make you complacent. There are enough pickups and subaru's out there in the middle of nowhere to keep sharp every corner.
    Tiz and Dualsport Chic like this.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Agree; this is good advice. It is easy to feel like you are the only one on the road. Stay on your side of the road. Don't out-ride your sight distance around turns. There are occasional cars, trucks, hikers, dogs, bicycles, horses, etc.. and many of them are not expecting other traffic either.
    Dualsport Chic and Tallbastid like this.
  9. Mtraikov

Mtraikov Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done the 2019 route and is able to compare with the 2018? Opinions?
  10. Mtraikov

Mtraikov Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to plan this out right now, just want to get clarification. On the first post of the thread, the attachment "puppy dog route". is that the latest 2019 version with short and long routes in the GPX?

Second, I also went into the bmw link and all the gpx files are straight lines (the puppy dog route gpx attachment follows roads and is perfect). Am I missing something here?
  11. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    The gpx file from the VT MOV site works fine for me.
  12. Mtraikov

Mtraikov Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All is good when opening in scenic thank you. Can anyone clarify the “hero route”. What do each color represent on the route?
  13. interactive3

interactive3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Three Tiger 800XCs and a KTM 950 on the VT puppy dog route
  14. billll

billll \m/

Oddometer:
    Crucial VT greenery - I & I dig
  15. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I did the 1st half of the route (Greenfield to Randolph) on May 17th-18th. Ill post a like to my video on vimeo, Im heading back up June 20th-22nd to finish it up. Riding was great with only one road closure.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  16. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Ive done both and I like the newer 2018 version, its cleaner and for the 1st (southern) half pretty much follows the older original route. Both are fun, enjoy!
  17. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gonna do the lower half of 2012 & 2018 PDR on July 2nd to the 5th, South one day and North the next day. Staying at Viking Motel in Wilmington. Also will take the dirt roads up to Somerset Reservoir. If anyone is going to br around, join in!!!
  18. ssoucy

ssoucy n00b

Oddometer:
    Is gas reasonably accessible along the route? Never been to the area and my ride has a small tank.
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Yes, in most places if you are willing to take a small detour to get it. With good planning ahead (using an app like Gas Buddy) you should be able to figure out any gas stops you would need along the way and plan accordingly. What's your bike and range on a tank?
  20. ssoucy

ssoucy n00b

Oddometer:
    its a bmw g310 gs so it has a 2.9gal tank. Most likely ride the route on my own so will plan to be on the safe side. Would like to plan out stops every approx 80-100mi.