1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Puppy Dog Route 2018 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by SRTie4k, May 14, 2018.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    With that bike and tank size you should be fine. There is easy access to gas at least every 100 miles. BTW my comments apply to PDR routes other than the new 2018 one which i have not taken, though I know VT pretty well and can't imagine finding gas could be very difficult.
  2. ssoucy

ssoucy n00b

Oddometer:
    perfect, thanks. Most likely trailer it up there from CT this July to give it a shot.
  3. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why trailer when you can take the TMT right out of Winsted, CT which connects right into the southern end of the PDR in Greenfield, MA? The 310gs is great for tar as well.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  4. ssoucy

ssoucy n00b

Oddometer:
    For me, I don't like riding CT roads. To get to Winsted I would have to take the same roads I take to work (84,44,140 etc) where from my very unscientific research 1 out of every 3 drivers is distracted either on their phone, reading a newspaper, doing makeup or shaving. And, while I know there are no "safe" roads I figure I would pass maybe 1000 cars to get to Winsted from where I live so that gives me 333 distracted drivers to pass. Even on a busy day on the trails in VT I would probably maybe pass what half that if I'm unlucky? So even if the 1/3 ratio stays the same, I eliminate a ton of risks. I treat my bike the same as my ATV - trailer, ride, trailer. Its sad but I feel so unsafe in CT that I have taken my road cycling bike off the road except for races and only use zwift to exercise after countless close calls on the roads pedal biking. If there is a good place to trailer to in Winsted, then different story and I will have to take a look at the TMT as I know nothing about it.
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of someone so terrified of riding a motorcycle that rides a motorcycle.

FWIW, I have a mostly dirt route from Southbury CT that meets up with the Trans-MA Trail near Winstead, if you're interested. My buddy and I have ridden it quite a number of times (riding from NH down to CT to start) and we aren't dead yet.
    jimmycapp and Dualsport Chic like this.
  6. Dualsport Chic

Oddometer:
    There are quiet, and sometimes even dirt, roads everywhere through CT if you search for them. Taking super slab and major state roads is your problem.
    jimmycapp likes this.
  7. ssoucy

ssoucy n00b

Oddometer:
    I know plenty of people who only ride dirt for the same reason. I spend half my time here in CT and half my time living in Maine and have no problems or fears riding where I live up there on any roads. Its not fear of riding, its a fear of other drivers specifically here. I'm sure its anecdotal but all roads are not the same and I just choose not to ride the roads here in CT I would need to use to get to Western CT. Its just not enjoyable, so I don't.
    Tallbastid and JohnfromJersey like this.
  8. Dualsport Chic

Oddometer:
    It can happen anywhere. I was hit head on by a driver who couldn’t negotiate a hairpin (on a quiet country road) and flew into my lane. Stuff happens but I’m can’t let it deter me from wasting my precious time dragging my bike behind me instead of riding it.
  9. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my North End Loop ride combining 2018 and 2012 PDR's. About 275 miles. It's start from the Town Of Marshfield, at MeadowCrest Campground. It's gonna be a long day.
    2018-2102 N PDR.jpg
    Joebmetro and Dualsport Chic like this.
  10. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just completed the lower halfs of the 2012 and 2018 PDR's. Going for the all day'er tomorrow (the ride above).
    On the 2018 PDR, Half of Cady Hill Rd is closed. Looks like it might be permanent. Not sure why though. Easy go-around, just take Perkins Hill Rd. (all dirt ) Screenshot_20190706-190847_Photo Editor.jpg
    Cattledog1969 likes this.
  11. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 18 Husky 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it gated or just a road closed sign?
  12. stlukey

stlukey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is being repaired
    Joebmetro likes this.
  13. Hank122

Hank122 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, I rode the 2018 version of the PDR on July 12 and 13th (the week before last) on a slightly overloaded WR250R. Overall it was a great ride with good weather, dust was down form rains earlier that week. There was only one closure (for road maintenance) that was easily gone around and there would have been another but they had stopped work for the weekend.
    The roads are generally smooth and easy. Very scenic in many spots. I really enjoyed the ride.
    I camped at The Tree Farm Campsite in Springfield, VT the first night ($24.) and stayed at Coleman State Park near Colebrook NH the 2nd night on my way to Maine and Acadia Ntl Park.

Attached Files:

Joebmetro likes this.
  14. TOC

TOC Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone give me an idea about how long it takes to get to silver lake from the start in greenfield?
  15. Tnkrplt

Tnkrplt Retired...

Oddometer:
    About 5 hours.
    dstutz and TOC like this.
  16. Joebmetro

Oddometer:
    planning to do the PDR next month with a few friends, none of us have ridden it before or are familiar with the area. can someone that has ridden it take a look to see if i've missed anything?

Day 1 We're starting from Halifax taking the Greenfield to Silver lake track.
    gas stop Rt. 103 rockinham
    bypass around closed road
    Lunch at Barnard general store
    Silver lake to Derby line track
    Gas at rt. 14 in Sharon
    stopping for the night in Waterbury. 255 miles

Day 2 resuming Silver lake to Derby line.
    Gas at derby line
    Taking roads from Derby line to Junction restaurant for early lunch.
    Troy to silver lake long track
    Gas at waterbury
    continue to Rt.125 spending the night in Middlebury. 257 miles

Day 3 continue troy -silver lake
    Gas at Bethel
    lunch Creekhouse diner or toziers restaurant
    continue to silver lake
    gas rt. 103 Rockham
    silver lake to greenfield
    stopping in Halifax 250 miles

TIA
  17. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this'll be of any help but maybe give a look through here. Don't know what happened to all the pics but you probably could still download the tracks. PM me if you can't. The days were perfect in length and lodging all worked out well from what I remember.
    TarMack likes this.
  18. Joebmetro

Oddometer:
    Thanks, i'll take a look at the tracks
  19. rrumble

rrumble Adventurer

Oddometer:

Any suggestions for parking a truck and trailer in Greenfield, MA? I see there is a lot of retail around there, thinking of asking Home Depot? Any hotel suggestions along the routes to stay during the ride? Thanks,
  20. Joebmetro

Oddometer:
    We are staying at the Best western in Waterbury the first night and the courtyard in middlebury the 2nd if you use the info I posted it’s about 250 miles a day