Puppy Dog Route 2018 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by SRTie4k, May 14, 2018.

1. Huckwheat

Huckwheat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Falls, north of Troy. Excellent video trepidhawk...
  2. trepidhawk

trepidhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is called Big Falls, Here is the address: 1382 River Rd, North Troy, VT 05859

Because after that there was no more real dirt roads to the end, We deemed it the "unofficial" end of our PDR.
  3. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open

Oddometer:
    I am interested in this route. Are you willing to post it here?
  4. cnmjr123

cnmjr123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Here you go.

Attached Files:

Brutalguyracing, V8, cnmjr123 and 2 others like this.
  6. cnmjr123

Oddometer:
    Very much appreciate it! Big bike friendly?
  7. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Yes
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  8. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone point to any camping that's near any of this trail/road system? We may have to take a weekend trip to southern Vermont, and would like to ride some of the little dirt bikes around. Northern CT is fine to, just need to stop somewhere in lower Vermont for a few hours then camp/hike/ride with the kids.
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Your post raises a lot of questions before it can be answered. When do you want to go to VT? What kind of camping do you have in mind (e.g., tent, RV, campground, stealth, etc.)? Where approximately do you want to camp? If you can be more specific then locals might be able to provide current info.. When you say "little dirt bikes", are you aware that the PDR is not a trail but is mostly on roads that require plated bikes? Finding legal places to ride dirt bikes (in VT or CT) is much more of a challenge. Before Covid-19 there was tons of camping of all sorts all over VT. Right now tons of things are closed and there is officially a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the state (though likely unenforceable).
  10. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    There are a bunch of primitive camping sites on FS71 in Somerset/Searsburg in Green Mountain National Forest, although I'm not sure if they are open right now.
  11. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I went thru there last Thursday and the airfield campground was closed but the primitive sites were open. Not sure how rapidly closings/openings are changing right now though.

Also, FWIW, FS71 is not that near the PDR (if that is in fact where he wants to be).
  12. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    FS71 is only a 20 min ride from both PDR 2012/2018, and I only listed it because I'm not sure if private campgrounds are open right now. If they are, KOA in Putney/Dummerston is probably a 3 minute ride away from PDR 2018.
  13. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a plated and street legal Beta 125 4 stroke (small bike). My sons bike is a little KTM 50, so obviously not street legal. I understand that's a gray area, with a top speed of about 30mph, its more of a toy, but still. One of the things we're trying to get in Vermont is a ORV registration for it. Dont see us riding the little bike for more than a few hours here and there.

The more primitive/remote camping the better for us, but we'll need to be near our rented vehicle (pick up truck).

We did the Dirt Days rally last year, and clearly a lot of the 'roads' we were on where far away from activity that no one would bother. PLus, the kid will be following me around, for he's still a bit new at riding.
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Not sure you posted on the right thread as it doesn't sound like what you are looking to ride is the PDR. The PDR at times uses some major roads, goes right thru the middle of towns, etc.. Maybe you will get more pertinent info from locals if you post instead over here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/nh-vt-central-riders.1262993/ or https://advrider.com/f/threads/riding-in-vermont.1206933/page-45#post-40108539
  15. cnmjr123

Oddometer:
    It's in northern CT, close to the start of the Trans Mass Trail, so you can like the TMT and PDR if you'd like.

https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Parks/Parks/Housatonic-Meadows-State-Park

It's a pretty area but not terribly "primitive"
  16. trepidhawk

trepidhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Huckwheat, thanks for watching!!!
    Huckwheat likes this.
  17. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the southern portion yesterday from Greenfield, MA to VT 121 and back. Beautiful day!

Capture.PNG
    IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg
    ejm4, cnmjr123, BigOgre and 1 other person like this.
  18. Head in the wind

Head in the wind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode today started off Rte.9 got off somewhere after Mt. Ascutney. Two gates Cady lane ? off weathersfeild rd.no problem driving around, about 10 water bars between gates. puppy 4.png puppy 2.png
    ejm4 likes this.