1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing used BMW F650 GS adv bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SdtCata, Jul 16, 2019.

1. SdtCata

SdtCata n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'll start by saying I am a noob at riding. I've never owned a motorcycle before but I have always been interested in them and I've started seriously considering buying an adventure bike perhaps next year.

Of all the adv bikes and listings, the ones I take a liking in are BMW GS bikes. They are abundant and seem relatively low cost (Romanian/European market). The ones I can afford are pretty old, for example this: https://www.olx.ro/oferta/motomus-v...0-gs-650cc-50cp-b8375-IDcBhev.html#2e02a60bf3

It's around my budget of 2000, it looks clean and taken care of and it's being sold by an authorized respected dealer. I am aware you can probably get better deals in USA as the used bikes are newer and still affordable, however this is what I can afford and have to work with.

What kind of advice can you give a beginner ride looking to purchase a BMW GS as a first bike?

EDIT: Also one more question: is it capable for off-road two up riding, say for when you wanna go camping?

Thanks & please have mercy.
  2. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a great choice for a first bike. I had a G650GS for several years before moving to an F800GS. Most used bikes don't have service records from previous owners, but they might possibly exist in the dealer's database. Ask for those, and at a minimum make sure its had its proper maintenance based on mileage. Take a few safety riding courses for yourself, and certainly for your passenger. Ride for awhile to get some experience before taking someone with you. Congratulations and have fun!
    SdtCata and Boxerbreath like this.
  3. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all, WELCOME to the tribe! This is an amazing forum, full of people of like mind, and tons of experience. Your choice for a first bike, is spot on. I come from a lifetime of riding / racing (sport bikes) and recently switched to the Adventure style bike. I bought a 2019 GS Adventure without even so much a test ride. I have ridden GS's before, and knew I always wanted one. Now, I'm so glad I got it. It's a brilliant motorcycle.

Just take it easy, get some training, and know that the learning curve (on the street) is very steep. More will be along to answer your specific questions on that motorcycle, and all will echo my sentiments of welcoming you to the forum.

Ride safe, Ride often!

Cheers,

Darren
    SdtCata likes this.
  4. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, R80RT, 350 EXC-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try re-posting to the Parallel Universe forum. There are many folks there who can give good advice on this particular bike, its capabilities, and issues to watch out for.
    SdtCata and DMack_762 like this.
  5. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True... he's correct there. For BMW, there are two threads... Parallel and Boxer. The GS you're considering is not a Boxer... no harm, no foul. It will get more traction in the Parallel Universe forum. Best of luck to you!

Cheers,

Darren
    SdtCata likes this.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Looks like prices are LESS over there.

That bike is BARELY suitable for off road two up. The carrying capacity will likely be exceeded.

Weigh you and your passenger and your equipment then buy a bike that is suited to carry that much, leave room for more aggressive off road use.
    SdtCata likes this.
  7. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Ditto on great first bike. I still want one...
    SdtCata likes this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Is the single cylinder 650 in Parallel Universe thread or Thumpers?

Great first bike...awesome first bike....awesome bike....

but for two up off road?...…...not so much.
    SdtCata likes this.
  9. SdtCata

SdtCata n00b

Oddometer:
    So what is a good two up off road adv bike then? I assume a KTM 1190 but those are way too expensive. What about Transalp?

EDIT: sorry if this is the wrong forum to post if possible can a moderator move the thread to the right board? thanks
  10. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, R80RT, 350 EXC-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of value in a used Honda 1100AT. Get one that's a year or two old and save a bundle on an already value minded bike. Lots of inexpensive used R1200 GSA' out there as well but you have to get a hexhead or Camhead to find a less expensive deal. But then again, those still won't fit your budget. You may want to rethink how much you can spend. Keep in mind also that those are big bikes that require a fair amount of experience to ride, especially two up on any kind of off road environment.
    SdtCata likes this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I'll second the Suzuki DL650 wee strom. Simply the BEST option available in that price range. Plus you won't tire of it as you get more proficient. Many a seasoned rider loves that bike. They are pretty amazing for the money. It's what I would buy.
    SdtCata likes this.
  12. SdtCata

SdtCata n00b

Oddometer:
    That's funny I thought about the V-Strom for a long time but was under the impression that it's not so good off-road. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll make a new show off thread once I make up my mind and make the purchase :)