Pushrod seal leak...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by tobys, Sep 24, 2009.

1. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Is this a common leak? Is it as easy as removing the pushrod, removing the seal, and installing the new one?

I thought my clutch slave had gone, because that is so common. Bought the Evoluzione, and then oops! It's actually engine oil, from around the pushrod.

Seals are cheap, just making sure I check in first. Thanks!
  2. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the same leak.
    The seal can be tricky to fit square on without the factory tool, so I made up my own seal driver.
    You need to remove the clutch pushrod from the clutch basket side.
  3. el' hefe

el' hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Mine started leaking at about 40,000. I used a hooked spring puller to get the seal out. I used a socket to push the seal in. Fixed and leak free now.
  5. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    Mine started leaking after I drilled the oil jet out to 1mm. {Witch I got form the up grade reports} I replace it and it leaked too. I had to lead the jet back up and re drill it to .05 mm to make it stop leaking. But I have all so stiffed my oil pump spring to for a little more oil psi. Help keep the cam chain form rattling as much.

BCK
  6. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    I thought about it - but my old pushrod hasn't given me any grief. Is it really worth the $40?

Thanks!!
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Replace it. My 'three piece' steel-alum-steel came apart. The one piece all steel will give more room for oil to travel to the clutch. Also, it won't rub inside the shaft and generate alum dust to be fed onto the clutch plates.

Get a new seal while you are at it.
  8. Scandinavian

Scandinavian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had the same issue, too. It happened just after the slave cylinder leak, about 30 000 km on odo.
  9. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Installed the new seal today, a bit tricky getting the old one out, and I didn't wait for a new pushrod, but it could be that a previous owner replaced it. It was one peice.

Anyway, seal looks like it's working fine, and I'm glad I got a look at the clutch too. The plates look ok, and it's an easy job if I ever need to replace them.
  10. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    took a 30 minute ride, and it looks like a small drip is back. what a pain. I'm using Mobil1 15w50, shouldn't be any thinner than the expensive stuff, right?
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently, this is a tough fix. I'm heading out to the shop right now to attempt it again.

Edit - took it apart, again. Pulled off the CS sprocket. Pulled off the slave cyl. Cleaned it really, really good with brake clean. Started it up and the clutch push rod seal was leaking around the OUTSIDE of the seal! WTF? I looked at it under a stong light and the seal was in crooked about 15 deg. There is also a slight cut-out on this seal bore toward the front of the bike, it was leaking from there.

Cut a length of 5/8 steel tubing and squared it up. This will slip over the end of the push rod. Then drove the seal in square. Now it doesn't leak. I originally drove the seal in with a deep socket and couldn't quite see that it wasn't square. This piece of tubing worked much better. 3/4 dia tubing may fit it better.

So the moral is: after you install this seal and the push rod. Start it up and let it run for a while to check it out for leaks. Buy two seals, one to practice on and one to get right.
  12. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    I need to do this fix as well on my new (to me) 05.5 950A.

Can someone confirm that I'm replacing seal:

SHAFT SEAL RING 9X18X06 B-NBR

Also, a build date of 04/2005 would not require the updated push rod, correct?

Thanks,

John
  13. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    That's what I ordered. 32 0760 091862 WELLENDICHTRING 9X18X06 B-NBR SHAFT SEAL RING 9X1 8X06 B-NBR
  14. Raggie

Raggie n00b

Oddometer:
    I have tried repairing this persisrant leak for a while now and still without success, have replaced pushrod , seal and even used the special tool to drive the seal home properly, also have used a little sealant on the outside of the seal before inserting it, this oil leak is a real pain in the ass to fix... There is also a needle roller bearing behind this seal and was wondering if this could cause the seal to leak if the roller bearing was worn . Anybody got any ideas I can try to fix it?