Putting a 1988 Suzuki Kan of Tuna back on the road

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by mrchristian, Feb 17, 2018.

1. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

This phrase confuses me, doesn't want to crank, or doesn't want to start without a lot of cranking?

One could be your battery, the other fueling....?

Maybe check the condition of the hoses from tank to fuel pump, etc... for cracks or other leaks
    mrchristian likes this.
  2. mrchristian

mrchristian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Start up the next day before work (sitting 10 hours in a cold shed)...one touch of the starter and it fires up nice and strong barely any choke.

Let it sit over the weekend...spin the starter 20+ times for a few minutes before it barely fires/sputters to life. It almost seems electrical, like it won't even burble for a while.

No gas leaks, no vaccuum leaks (tested with starter fluid), bike runs solid after it starts although it's a definitely cold blooded.

I just put in a new Yuasa (new acid, fully charged before using) but it did the same thing Monday morning when I went to start it. It's been fine all this week after that.

Oil level is super consistent. Changed it a few times now with no gas in it.

I pulled the spark plugs before changing the battery as the bike wouldn't fire. They were wet with fuel and on the darkish side. Maybe I'm too rich but the bike needs some choke to start when cold and feels right on the money while riding and the gas mileage is fine/consistent.
  3. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like maybe the chokes aren't working 100%.Check for too much play in the cable and also keep the throttle closed when cold starting. The extra vacuum is needed to draw fuel thru the choke system.The next time it happens just try blocking off the air inlet on the airbox and see if it helps a little.
    mrchristian likes this.
  4. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Good point. It's actually a choke plunger on the carb not a cable (maximum power per dollar here haha, couldn't even get a handlebar choke lever) but I'll go through the linkage and give it a once over to make sure it's all working properly. When I got the bike it was completely seized up until I hit it with WD40 but maybe something is still tweaked.
  5. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Is your petcock vacuum operated? Replacing it with a new one may help.
    mrchristian likes this.
  6. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I bought a brand new one. Seems to be functioning fine when the bike is operating. I'll imspect the vaccuum line to be safe. Might be a crack or something.
  7. wolfcreek rider

wolfcreek rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with this bike or these carbs but I have a question about the choke system. Is it an enriching system or a butterfly system? If it's the enriching system, do all 4 carbs get activated? These sound like odd questions but I have an '86 XR600r that's a twin carb. One carb has an enriching circuit and one float bowl has passage ways drilled for it. The other is not drilled. The float bowls are interchangeable and someone switched them. Near impossible to start when cold.
  8. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Believe it's an enriching system. There is a linkage to all four carbs. Only the idle adjustment screw moves the butterfly.
  9. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mrchristian: since you have a vacuum petcock, may I assume it has a "prime" position (most do)? If so, try starting the bike on "prime" instead of "on" when it has been sitting for awhile. This may help...could be your fuel in the bowls is evaporating over time (low fuel level), and the vacuum petcock is having trouble catching-up and filling the bowls at initial startup.
    TonyKZ1 and mrchristian like this.
  10. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    The enricheners draw their fuel from a orifice at the very bottom of the float bowl so fuel level would almost have to be zero for them not to work. However,these orifices are almost always overlooked when cleaning the carbs because they aren't in the carb body with all the other jets and passageways. A lot of times a small wire or jet drill is needed to open these passages and they are usually one of the 1st areas to get gummed up because they lie at the bottom.
    TonyKZ1 and mrchristian like this.