Putting a 1988 Suzuki Kan of Tuna back on the road

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by mrchristian, Feb 17, 2018.

1. mrchristian

mrchristian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, spins the motor fine with the choke off. Turn the choke on and it struggles and clunks. I assume the starter solenoid is OK since it'll spin no matter what.

Can a starter motor get weak after sitting for years? I would assume it would either work or let out blue smoke and be done.
  2. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I don't remember if you checked this, but are all four enrichener plungers pulling out when you turn on the choke?
    Once it actually starts, how high do the rpms go with "choke" fully applied? Should be upwards of 2000 to 2500-ish rpms at "full choke." I would suggest exposing the airbox intake boot, and try starting with full choke AND a rag blocking the intake snorkel. See if that gets it to fire off when cold?
    mrchristian likes this.
  3. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Yup and all four pull and the enrichening tubes that go down into the float bowl are nice and clean. The choke seems to function normal, brings the revs up, unless the bike has been sitting for a few days and the starter struggles and I hear a 'ping' noise.
  4. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    So weird..

I know you verified float heights. The struggles after sitting almost sounds like you have fuel leaking into one or more cylinders not enought to hydrolock but just enough to make ot harder for the starter to turn the engine over

If you let it sit
    Then pull your plugs does it spin the motor?

Plugs back in does it then start?
    mrchristian likes this.
  5. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Ding ding ding. Bad float. I changed them all just to do it. No startup issues anymore.

Noticed some weird plier marks on the main jet tube this time around as well:

[​IMG]
    scot_douglas likes this.
  6. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear that....
    Better for.you too I bet
  7. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Definitely - the pins holding the floats seemed unnecessarily tight. Like full swing with a hammer tight. Nervewracking to say the least. On my WR they push out with firm tap.

Next steps are to replace the slightly bent left side handlebar and track down the neutral light gremlin.
  8. mentolio

Oddometer:
    Those pins usually come out easily enough by using one of those spring loaded center punches.
  9. mrchristian

Oddometer:
    Where were you when I was struggling with this thing in my lap on the floor of my garage?

Just kidding - I will keep that in mind next time I deal with a job like this! Got a model/size you recommend that's got enough gusto to knock it loose?
  10. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be ssure to support the little towers before you start smacking those pins...or risk breaking them
  11. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Heat gun on the towers before smacking!:D
  12. mentolio

Oddometer:
    Oooh, heat gun is a great idea too. As far as the center punch: nothing fancy, I use one I bought at Home Depot (Irwin maybe?), and another (no-name brand) I bought at Harbor Freight for three bucks. Either works well enough, though the more expensive one has a finer/thinner point if that's important to you.