Putting my Suzuki panniers on a KTM

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by serenith, Jul 21, 2018.

1. serenith

serenith n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm going to exchange my '13 V-strom DL650 for an '16 1190 adventure R at the dealer and I'm wondering if I can keep my original panniers for the new bike to save some $$ (the dealer won't give me much for my old panniers and new ones are the price of a scooter).

I can't find much info on compatibility between panniers and racks. I believe the Suzuki-branded panniers are actually rebranded Trax since they are identical to this model here . But I do not know if the Trax system has evolved since 2013, is it the same ?

Other than the Suzuki logo that i'll have to cover some way, is there anything else I should be weary about ? I'll have to buy some trax rack from a 3rd party, the Touratech sold by KTM won't be compatible, right ?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they are Motech TraX

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
  3. Dave MP

Dave MP Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Bombs4breakfast

Bombs4breakfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They’re the same bags I have on my 1190S - carried over from when I had a Tiger800XC, just different frames
  5. serenith

serenith n00b

Oddometer:
    So the luggage will be compatible if I buy the side racks suggested by Dave MP. Thanks!

Any idea if I can salvage the plate for the top box from the Suzuki or is that another thing I have to buy custom for the ktm?
  6. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although the dl650 suzuki top case is made by SW MOTECH, it's not a Motech Trax top case (w/ suzuki name stamped on it). The posts and slots are uniquely positioned to suzuki's specs. THus, The suzuki top plate ONLY fits the SUZUKI top case- it won't fit an SW motech trax top case.
  7. serenith

serenith n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I guess the Suzuki top plate is not transferable to the ktm, right?
  8. Dave MP

Dave MP Long timer

Oddometer:
    Contact TT Customer service @twistedthrottle . They may have a recommendation to get the top box mounted.

Their customer Service is fantastic!