Pyramid Bound! 4361mi adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBlackston, Jan 29, 2017.

1. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    My best friend and I are driving from AR, U.S.A to Guatemala. 4 pyramid sites, 4361 miles over the course of 11 days. I'll be on a Suzuki TU250X and He'll be on a Grom.

Ill try and keep updated as we both get our bikes prepared and ret ta go.

Any helpful tips would be great! Traveling gear, routes, crossings, tolls, bribes etc.
    VanXR, ZiaThunder and Westygw like this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Not happening. You can't do those miles in those Countries on those bikes in those days.
    Nice first post...either a troll, a joke or you are really high.
    VanXR, TxFarmer, knight and 1 other person like this.
  3. Westygw

Westygw Adventure riding on a mini bike.

Oddometer:
    What makes you think that, Tuckers?
    The idea is, mathematically, sound.
    Traveling at less than the speed limit of those roads in Mexico would still allow this trip to be completed in the allotted time.
    VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  4. Tyrepower

Tyrepower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a read of Tuckers ride reps. You will see he's coming from a position of being well aware of what to expect out that way. Not saying its impossible, just perhaps not that achievable in those countries.
    VanXR and knight like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You can only travel approx. 1/2 the distances in Mexico that you can in the US in any given day or you take all toll roads quotas and see nothing.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You are avg over 400 miles a day and that's long tiring miles to do in the US on big bikes. Expect 200 miles max.

Have you very been to Mexico?
    VanXR likes this.
  7. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would look at a less ambitious goal. Even if you pulled it off (unlikely ) you would miss the whole reason for going. Slow down, enjoy the pyramids and the country. Just my humble advice, but I am following along

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    VanXR likes this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    No it's not even close to mathematically sound, I don't think you could do it in the USA let alone Mexico and Guatemala. Minus 2 of those days for border crossings and such alone. Makes for super high miles days on small bikes. The post is a joke.
    VanXR likes this.
  9. Westygw

Westygw Adventure riding on a mini bike.

Oddometer:
    How is it not? I've broken 1000 miles in two days on my bike with relative ease going less than the speed limit.
    You're denying the mathematical possibility of riding a distance that is, mathematically, sound.
    VanXR likes this.
  10. Tyrepower

Oddometer:
    Why so nasty? Just point out that its not really possible based on your experience. If they decide to go ahead and try, they will either have to turn back or abandon bikes and return later. Up to them!!!
    VanXR likes this.
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may be " mathematically sound" on paper as a fantasy trip project , but in the real world it is not practical.
    Tuckers is right .
    Your bikes can do it and you can do it but not in the time limit you state nor at the travel rate you envision , not if you value your safety and sanity .
    Obviously you have never ridden in Mexico and don't know enough , yet ,to not ride at night there on the open highways after dark . As a women there are additional worries , and that is not to be construed as a condescending , sexist or discriminatory remark .

Your distance goal will require an AVERAGE DAILY DISTANCE of 638 km.
    Covering that distance in Mexico is a rare event requiring much fast riding on straight major highways , in Guatemala it is impossible .
    To cover such distance will mean long days riding into night considering the speed of your bikes.
    The seasoned Mexico riders here will travel less than that daily distance and be off the road after dark .
    Recalculate your trip duration using a more realistic daily distance of no more than 300 km to 350km.
    I'm not being nasty but realistic .
  12. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd Bakker is a VERY experienced rider south of the border. I have ridden a few thousand miles south of the border and can tell you he is spot on. I had the same ideas you do about making time and quickly found out it just isnt there. Riding at night is even tougher and is not fun at all (OK maybe a little fun, but very slow going). Plus, doing a bomber run through Mexico misses the very thing that makes it such a great place - the people, the places, the little side roads, the cafes, etc. My first trip down I had 3 days in my head for Copper Canyon. This April I am planning on spending 2 or 3 weeks in the area and that may not be enough to wander around and get to know the place.

My advice is to listen to the folks on here who are a wealth of knowledge. Either way I am on here for the ride.
    CalamariKid, VanXR and Westygw like this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You have never ridden in Mexico have you? I'm guessing no.
    I have, infact I lived in Mexico for a year riding all over.
    200 miles daily is about the max you can do safely. You do not want to ride at night like you could in the US.
    Tuckers knows exactly what he is talking about! Please respect those with 1st hand knowledge how it works vs what Google Maps says.
    VanXR likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Nasty? What nasty? The math is sound. You can't do those miles on a Grom in Mexico and Guatemala.
    Can they attempt it? Of course and I hope they do. I still think the post is a 'joke'...you know someone playing with us.
    VanXR likes this.
  15. Tyrepower

Oddometer:
    Well just ignore it.. No need to lower yourself. No one who has read any of your posts doubts where your coming from. Calling Trolls and joke!!! If its real they will find out soon enough. And what harm to you. And if it is a joke........ again what harm to you.
    VanXR likes this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    'Any helpful tips would be great! Traveling gear, routes, crossings, tolls, bribes etc.' <THIS his last sentence in the original post. No harm to me, not lowering myself, no doubts,.....just offering the 'helpful tips and 'etc' he asked for. Why are you not ignoring it and then telling me to ignore it? Think about it Man. He asked for help, not just me but others have offered that help.
    VanXR likes this.
  17. Tyrepower

Oddometer:

Not happening. You can't do those miles in those Countries on those bikes in those days.
    Nice first post.. .either a troll, a joke or you are really high.

No it's not even close to mathematically sound, I don't think you could do it in the USA let alone Mexico and Guatemala. Minus 2 of those days for border crossings and such alone. Makes for super high miles days on small bikes. The post is a joke.

Dude you need to relax. They didn't have a go at you. They wanted tips, not insults. Your the one that got all nasty.
    VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  18. Tyrepower

Oddometer:
    So just say that. Calling them a Troll, High on Drugs or a Joke isn't the way to get the message across. Have you heard of EvergreenE? She had never ridden a motorcycle in her life. Bought a Chinese 150cc bike and has travelled distances and countries I would never dream of. Lucky she didn't post on this thread asking for tips and advice before undertaking her "adventure" and that's what life is all about here. Or so I thought. Perhaps you guys need to see the positives in life before being so quick to drop the hammer on peoples dreams. People have ridden across Australia on 110 postie bikes. Travelled the out back and had a hell of an adventure with the trials and tribulations that come with that. Not my choice of cross country adventure bike. And I don't think loss of life is going to occur on this trip just because of the our wrongly perceived choice of ride. Go and tell EvergreenE it cant be done. Talk her out of what has been one of the greatest adventure's I've ever read on an absolutely underpowered not suitable bike with an even more so unprepared rider. Lucky you blokes weren't sitting in the bike shop when she wanted to start her adventure.
    VanXR, Westygw and JBlackston like this.
  19. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stop with the 'its a troll', 'its a joke' bs.
    Im going. We're going. Those of you participating in that style of comments and shitting on my trip, take some Imodium and get the hell off my thread. Take your foul, trash comments with you. Some of you are SO brave behind the annonymity of the internet. If you actually have something helpful then please let me know. If not, stop clogging up my feed
    VanXR and Tyrepower like this.
  20. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Won't know til you try.

21,000 miles after can't be done:

[​IMG]
    thirsty 1, Migolito, VanXR and 2 others like this.