1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Pyramid Bound! 4361mi adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBlackston, Jan 29, 2017.

1. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    VanXR likes this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Wow! Just wow. You asked for advice and tips. A few people told you the miles in that time in those Countries couldn't be done. We wish you all the best on your fabulous adventure, we just wanted to let you know that your expecations, however noble, will not be possible. 4361 miles in 11 days in Mexico and Guatemala on a Grom is not happening.... you asked...we replied. When asking questions or for advice don't shit on the reply because you don't like it. It sounded so outlandish I really thought it was a joke. Realistically you'll have nine days of riding....484.5 miles per day on a Grom in Mexico and Guatemala......you've got to admit it sounds like a joke. Forgive me if you thought you could do it and now you have been told it's just not mathematically possible. Perhaps IF you could run at an average of 50 mph for 10 hours a day, not including gas and food stops. I was just doing the math for you, I am sure you did it yourself before announcing your trip...but maybe not aware that the road conditions/traffic/borders/daylight would preclude you fulfilling this mathematical fete. Now you know. Don't kill the messenger. I'll stay subscribed and wish you all the best on your adventure. If you need any border crossing tips or accommodation advice we are here for you...just accept the answers for what they are....
    VanXR and HotChilliColdBeer like this.
  3. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I asked for advice/tips. What you offered up was something else entirely. Its trash. Take it somewhere else. We're going no matter how much you want to try and degrade. You havent been helpful at all. Just hateful hot air. If you cant improve upon the silence, its best to just stay quiet.
    VanXR likes this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Of course you are going, great adventure. I wish you well. Do you still plan to do the 4361 miles in the 11 days? Will you post a ride report? When do you leave?

I'm not hiding behind the internet. I'm easy to find. MY profile is filled out. Town I live in. Age. Birthday. Bikes I own. Places I've been. Places I'd like to go. Things I like. I have a little business......I offer a place to stay...sound realistic advice....help...I'm far from anonymous.....I'm out there.
    Forgive me if I thought doing 454 miles a day on a Grom in Mexico and Guatemala was a joke....I really did think it was. I wasn't trying to be nasty.
    Tell you what.....ride 14 hours a day every day for 9 days riding and two days for borders and such and you can pull this off...it's going to be the best report in EPIC RIDES for along time to come.
    Will you ride from AR to Mexico in one day? It's about 750 miles right? Which Pyramid site in Guatemala will be your turn around point?
    You'll have 2 of your 11 days invested by the time you get over the border. You ought to make one day available to get out of Mexico in to Guatemala then out of Guatemala back in to Mexico and then another 2 days to get back to Arkansas from Nuevo Laredo. That's 5 days used up. So 3 days left to get from Nuevo Laredo to your Guatemalan pyramid site and 3 days to get back to Nuevo Laredo. Will you be passing by Chichen Itza and Palenque? Will you stop for a look? Allow a couple of half days for that...so in revision 4 days to get from Nuevo Laredo to Guatemalan pyramid site, have a look and get back to NL. I'm sorry but I don't think you'll make it to Palenque before half your time is used up....sorry.
    VanXR likes this.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blackston,please think about what you are saying, lighten up and relax , don't feel so easily offended and insulted and prepared to lash back in anger .
    You said QUOTE " I asked for advice/tips " QUOTE You were given ideas and tips , what you were requesting from us .
    Understandably some expressed doubts about the veracity of your first post , doubts ignited by their experience-gained knowledge of how impractical your distance/time plans were for such a trip and your failure to interject any new posts to dispell the troll suspicion until your outburst in post #21
    Just because the advice and tips do not agree with your fantasy of how things must go is no reason to be angry at us .
    You can indeed make such a trip distance on the very solid smaller motorcycles you have. People have circled the world on lesser machines.
    You as persons can physically make that trip distance , nobody says you are incapable of that.
    You WILL have problems doing THAT trip as you propose in the short time you are setting out in your "wish list " if you are expecting it to be a fun tourist ride.

More tips for you: Assuming that the pyramids in Guatemala are those at Tikal the fastest route there would be via the El Ceibo border crossing from Tabasco,Mexico. Visiting the actual site with the pyramids will take up a full day of your available time. . If other sites in Guatemala ( Zaculeu ,for instance ) are under consideration it will involve a day of transit , at least. More pyramid sites are in Belize and the Yucatan of Mexico but each one takes time to visit (half day each ) plus the time to ride about the country to go from one to the other, so a week for that alone.
    Do write up a travel report and let us know how it goes.
    VanXR likes this.
  6. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would certainly encourage anyone to pursue their goals, even if its not one I would take on. My confusion came from the assumption on my part (I know about ass u mption...) that visiting the pyramid sites you mentioned would actually involve stopping, getting off the bike and checking it out. The time spent visiting the pyramids would increase your needed daily mileage past the point any kind of realistic goal.

On one of my trips down I did get a request from a fellow rider who was headed down to Mexico to do some iron butt days and he wanted to cover 1,000 mile days on the way to Mexico (doable) but them some big mile days in Mexico. If I remember they were around 500 mile days. It was some kind of endurance deal with other riders, but it was a set route that fit the purpose. Mexico is just not the place I want to push those kind of limits.

But I am along for the ride...
    VanXR likes this.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    on a Grom......................
    VanXR likes this.
  8. Westygw

Westygw Adventure riding on a mini bike.

Oddometer:
    Why was the speed limited to 50mph, Tuckers? Also, the 1600 of the proposed miles are going to be in the United States on the US Interstate system at a pretty fair rate of speed.
    Also, do you have some impression that a Honda Grom cannot be driven for long distances or for extreme durations?
    VanXR likes this.
  9. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I'm curious if you have actually done a trip of any length. Over 8-10 hours, an average overall speed of more than 50 mph is about all you can expect. Your actual moving speed will need to be higher to account for fuel, food and rest breaks. If all you're interested in is completing the mileage in the alloted time, it can be done. You won't have much time for any sightseeing. To complete this trip in 11 days means a daily average of about 400 miles. You can get some higher mileage days at the beginning and end of the trip while in the US and that'll mean you need to cover fewer miles daily in Mexico. That will help and the trip is theoretically doable. It's just going to require some long days and hard riding. I hope you make the attempt and good luck.
    VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    The 50 mph is not the speed limit. We often do extended periods of 75mph (between gas stops) on our trips..BUT at the end of the day everyone agrees that you tend to attain a 50mph AVERAGE.....so the whole biking community in the whole World goes off that assumption. I think the Grom can be RIDDEN (not driven) for around a sustained 50 mph average quite easily between fuel stops, which I assume would be every 2 hours or so. I think you could ride it around 1500 or perhaps 2000 miles before the recommended oil change. I think you need to adjust the valves every 4000 or so. I'd have to check the owners manual.
    I also think the 1600 miles in USA will be covered at an average rate at the end of the day that will equal 50 mph for the day.
    There are some exceptions........this is a GENERAL assumption.
    Higher than 400 miles a day will be required as the actual riding time will be more like 9 days not 11. You have 6 border crossings back and forth to allow for. An AVERAGE time for those will be 3 hours for each one.
    There are exceptions. Your Mileage May Vary.
    VanXR likes this.
  11. Westygw

Oddometer:
    That's my bad. I didn't realize the speed mentioned was an average and not a maximum.
    The longest I have personally driven in a day, on my Grom, is about 600 miles.
    It was spine-altering and I don't know that my butt will forgive me. The next day I rode the trip in reverse.
    I learned quite alot and probably did have an avg. speed of around 50-55mph.
    I had no auxillary fuel, no windscreen and a cool looking seat with no foam or cushion.
    My chain snapped along the way and I learned a good deal.
    Also, I don't think the scope of this trip (from my understanding speaking with OP) is really about sight-seeing and more about a test-of-self.
  12. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with that. The Iron Butt riders do it all the time. Most of them probably think 4000 miles in 11 days is nothing. As long as everything goes to plan, the trip is possible. I prefer to take more time and enjoy my trips, but I will run a 600 + mile day to cover areas I have already been through or if time dictates when I need to be some where.
    VanXR likes this.
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I right , are you Westygw the Grom rider planning the trip with JBlackston ? Such a coincidence otherwise that you both are similar age and both have the same join date and first post here on ADV . Nothing wrong with that , have a fun trip .
    Q :when you did the 600MILES/966km on the Grom in ONE day -how many hours of riding did that take and in what month and which state ?
    It matters , because as you head south from Little Rock after 21 March ( spring equinox ) the hours of daylight will shrink . A smart tourist will not be riding the highways in Mexico after sunset , figure on a maximum of 12 hours of daylight in Guatemala .
    Will you have enough daylight hours to maintain such a quick travel rate ?
    VanXR likes this.
  14. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    :nah The days are getting longer, not shorter, at that time of year.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    OP, i hope you guys have a great trip. some advice? watch out for topes!

16. Westygw

Oddometer:
    I think it was in June. It was for Father's Day 2016.
    It took me most of the day. It was getting near dusk when I arrived. I was driving through Arkansas and Mississippi and explored a ton of rural roads I'd never traveled before.
    I also spent some time with my family and stopped in Jonesboro.
    I had enough daylight, despite making unnecessary stop.
    VanXR likes this.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I really don't think you can do 500 miles in daylight in Mexico, day after day for 9 days. Me and the Mrs hot foot it quite often and I think we did 350 miles one day, and that's on a faster bike, we tried to cruise at 70mph. But have to stop for gas three times a day and perhaps have a conversation and look at a map....so the average turned out to be 35 mph between 9am start and 7pm finish. All you need is a little pocket calculator, I carry one with me......I also do constant mental arithmatic whilst riding. I can generally predict times, distances and destinations pretty accurately....after doing it for the last 16 years of heavy motorcycle touring.
    Please try to remember.....you RIDE a motorcycle.....not DRIVE one.....barely anyone we know says they "drive" their motorcycle.
    VanXR likes this.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    So do you think you rode the Grom 12 hours not including stops? How much stoppage....total, for gas and potty?......one hour?
    What time of day do you normally set off and what time do you end?
    Like 7am to 8pm? When will you see any pyramids? Can you keep this schedule up for 11 days? Will you get a room or set up camp at the end of the day? Will you make food or go out to eat? Will you stop half way through the day to eat? You'll have to have 15 hour days in Mexico to ride the required 500 miles a day to complete your goal. You'll barely be able to get 7 hours sleep after taking care of things.
    Have you considered...bearing in mind the tips and advice......a less lofty goal?
    Perhaps an 11 day ride that takes in to account an average speed of 40mph, with 8 hours saddle time a day? 320 miles...pretty decent miles. You could stop early in the day (which is any seasoned travelers mode of operation) and enjoy the late afternoon evening off the bikes. Plus the chances of finding accomodation in your preffered budget is about 90% better if you stop early...like no later than 4pm.
    VanXR likes this.
  19. Westygw

Oddometer:
    The Grom will maintain 70mph relatively easy.
    Why do you keep correcting my usage of "Drive"?
    I understand that "Ride" is the popular colloquial term. I did not use it, despite having known that.
    I'm an automobile enthusiast and I don't talk much about my riding and I use the term interchangeably, as both are correct for either application.
    My vehicle is a Motor-driven Cycle. It is driven.
    My other vehicle is a sports car. I ride it.

Also, in regards to your calculations, I hope to prove them wrong and if I don't, I wouldn't be upset. This is just a "for fun" thing and there's no real need to try and bring anyone down.

Also, I must add: No, a less lofty goal wouldn't be pleasing, therefore was not a consideration.
  20. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, TUCKERS, you dont think we can make it. We get it. Your constant reiteration is serving us well. And thank you for letting us know about the riding. I've been driving mine this whole time. Finally, something useful. Thank you.
    VanXR likes this.