1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Pyramid Bound! 4361mi adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBlackston, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Tyrepower

Tyrepower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, its good to see people being friendly to each other at last. Every adventure I've ever ridden/driven has a "this is where I want to be destination" but if I don't make it so what!! Its still an adventure. And this has all the Hallmarks of being an adventure no matter what the outcome or final destination.
    VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  2. Westygw

Westygw Adventure riding on a mini bike.

Oddometer:
    That's the whole goal.
    To have an adventure.

The odds are against us without any doubt but I think we may be able to do it and, if we don't, we'll still have a crazy story to tell after we're at our respective homes.

I'm getting older every day. I've never dropped everything and said "I think I'll do something insane, today." before and neither did my accomplice. I think everyone deserves a chance to do that.
    There wasn't a possibility of taking more time on the trip or we would... trust me.
    We kind of dreamt this trip up impromptu. The goals were intentionally set just on the brink of 'physically impossible' just so we could try it. If we don't succeed, we still accomplished more than I could've ever originally expected.
    I've been to Mexico and Costa Rica and I live in a Salvadorean household, so the environment is familiar. Touring MX and Central America would be fun, sure, but this is more about meeting a personal challenge; an endurance test of self.

Anyone I mention this trip to tells me that I cant. I can't drive a little motorcycle that far.. It'll break down.. You're just fantasizing and not going to actually go.
    I'm tired of being told I can't do something and I'm ready to live while I'm still young enough to be spontaneous.
    VanXR, JBlackston and Tyrepower like this.
  3. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend had a saying , "Do what you know and Don't be slow."
    Someone else's saying was "Do it and then talk about it."
    I have feeling you two will learn some hard lessons and some humility.
    Enjoy.
    VanXR likes this.
  4. Westygw

Oddometer:
    For the first 1000 miles or so on the odometer, mine wouldn't go faster than 55mph. After adding a windscreen and improving the art of tucking, I can get it moving along pretty quick.
    The top speed on my bike is 73mph.
    I'm out of gears by that point. Factory Grom is about 75mph at the limiter.
    I can only magically hit this speed on a large highway, though. I think I'm picking up on the draft from all the traffic around me.
    VanXR likes this.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bluestar ,
    You fell into the trap of extrapolating the situation of a fixed LATITUDE point to apply to an entire hemisphere .My statement is true.

Note that I specifically said ..." as you head south from Little Rock after 21 March ( spring equinox ) the hours of daylight will shrink . "
    A corollary of that statement is that daylight hours increase as you go NORTH from Little Rock , or any point located in the northern hemisphere.

Yes, the days do indeed experience increasing hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere between the winter solstice ( 21 December ) and the summer solstice (21 June) if one compares that daylight length for any particular point , or various points on the same degree of latitude .

This is why you have such long summer days in Alaska , midnight sun above the arctic circle, while on those same days of "Summer " the sun in Central America is only above the horizon for eleven to twelve hours or so .
    And at the same time the daylight hours in South America are short in the " winter" fashion .

As one travels south through Mexico and CA one will find that sunrise and sunset become nearly equally spaced across the day.
    The tropics have about a 50/50 split for dark and daylight , with minor variance , and when the sun comes up or sets it does so very rapidly. You will not have long , lingering twilight to think about what your plan for hotel or campground might be. Ten minutes after sunset it is totally DARK .

So, that is why it matters to folk who are expecting to cover long distances common to riding in Montana , for example , to riding in the tropics.
    And that is why it is unlikely that they will be able to travel such long distances as proposed during available daylight.

Westy , if I take your June ride as being around June 1 and at the generalized latitude of Little Rock ,referring to this website's table/graph https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/little-rock it suggests that in your ride you would have experienced daylight from 6 am to 8:15 pm, a total of 14:15 hours. Taking Tuxtla Gutierrez,Chiapas as a sample in southern Mexico it shows for that same date a total of 13 hours of daylight. Farther south into CA that decreases some more.
    You are going to be very tight on available daylight if you are going to eat, brush your teeth ,wash up , buy fuel etc etc .
    Go for it and let us know how it turned out.

Remember , no riding at night .
    But Westy should already know this from experience in traveling Central America . This post can alert the less experienced readers:lol3
    VanXR likes this.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I only said you couldn't do the 4000 odd miles in 11 days. Set off by all means, I encourage it. You asked for tips and advice and was told you can't make that goal. If it's an 'attempt' then good for you. I really thought you may have thought you could do a 4000 odd mile pyramid tour in 11 days. I was just trying to help, not ruin your trip, in fact I was hoping to enhance your enjoyment by having you know that what was said in the original post was mathematically impossible. I want you to have a splendid adventure and I want yo follow along with your report in Epic Rides. Take lots of pictures and keep us updated daily, it's really refreshing to hear of small motorcycles being used on such an adventure. Sorry again, I didn't know it was an attempt...... again I thought you thought you could really do it. Now if you said we are going on an 11 day trip to Mexico and after 5 days we will return then I would have understood.
    PoundSand, VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  7. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    You make friends all over the internet and probably everywhere you go
    VanXR likes this.
  8. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tuckers, dont take Westygw's words for my own. I do think i can really do it. Yes itll be hard. I didnt say ill be gliding through with ease. My spine will be in knots and my ass will be just a memory of something i once had. But im gonna do it. We never said we were going touring and taking in all the scenes. We're literally riding from pyramid to pyramid and only stopping to pee eat or sleep. No, we wont be riding at night. Thats the first thing we agreed on at the start of planning. And yes, i did ask for advice and tips. Which you have yet to offer either one. 'You cant do it' and 'You're fantasizing' qualifies as neither one of those things. Degrading someones trip on a forum is not advice or a tip. Dont say you werent trying to do that, and dont say you werent trying to be nasty. Your not-do-subtle transition from loud bully to arrogant and pompous campaigner has also been duely noted.
    pranajerni likes this.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I was talking to my Therapist here at the sanitarium and he reminded me of the way I ought to deal with some arguments. Counterintuitive. Sometimes you have to think opposite to align with some people. So...in regard to that I have come up with something that will be really interesting to us all. I would like to sponsor these two riders on these two bikes. I'm not loaded with money but I have some for this. I'd like to offer $100 per day to the ride fund for 11 days. I'll need verification of departure date and time, gas receipts in the USA, a copy of the Tourist Visa and Temporary Vehicle Import Permits for Mexico and Guatemala and mileage verification and pictures of lets say 4 pyramids? If the guys do reach Guatemala and back to AR by driving their motorcycles 4361 miles (or more not less) total in 11 days visiting 4 pyramids I'll sponsor them to the tune of $1100 to be spent any way they wish. I assume they are both legal citizens of the USA and have their passports in order and have at least 6 months left on the passport before it expires (legal requirement to visit some Countries).
    JBlackston and Westygw are your passports current and in order? What is your departure date? You have to drive the Suzuki and the Grom it has to be you two.
    I you start a report in Epic Rides let us know so we can follow your bike and gear prep.
    You guys have passports right?
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    op- you asked for advice so here's some: you might run into political roadblocks and they can hold you up for hours or even days or cause you to re-route; you need to know how to avoid them if possible and how to handle them; read up on it or ask some questions in the IMS thread. if you are fluent in Spanish it will help. you may encounter "ransom ropes" that folks pull across the roads and need to know how to handle them; read up or go to the IMS thread. Pretending you do NOT know Spanish can help. It's good to know the ins and outs of the border crossing; these can really slow you down; so read up. if you are not accustomed to street-food south of the border, make sure everything you eat is cooked well; and drink only bottled fluids; a bout of traveler's shits will put a big damper on your trip! finally, if you need advice about where to sleep at night, buy Sjoerd Bakkers' book.

really looking forward to your ride report!! this is gonna be an adventure!!!! :p3rry
    VanXR, JBlackston and Westygw like this.
  11. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    also Cipro works wonders for bacterial gastroenteritis. :flush

and make sure you bring enuf toilet paper (unless your comfy with using the alternative).
    VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  12. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you and yes. The toilet paper. A friend of mine said to bring lots of my own as somyour most of the restrooms dont have any? Or they ask you to purchase it? Is this true?
    VanXR likes this.
  13. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging.
    VanXR, Rhode trip and JBlackston like this.
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    i've never been asked to buy it. often you will not find it in restrooms. often, especially in small towns or rural areas, you will not find what we call "restrooms". you will improve your balance and aim! you should be prepared to go whenever, wherever. imo, another good reason to carry imodium.
    VanXR, Westygw and JBlackston like this.
  15. JBlackston

JBlackston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is great! Thank you!
    VanXR likes this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Colleen and James have been asked to buy toilet paper...usually 5, 10, or 20 cents. One 'restroom' in Mexico actually had a turnstile like Disneyland and after you paid to go through a woman handed you three sheets of shiny toilet paper! It was at a gas station. It's not uncommon at busy rest stops to find an old man or woman in or around the restroom cleaning up and mopping and handing out paper for a few coins.
    Also the gas jockeys in Mexico work for very little wages. It's expected to give them loose change, I hover aorund 50c when I buy 8 gallons for two bikes. I think 50c is common for a car fill up tip.
    When we went rode to Argentina from Los Angeles we did not pay one bribe (mordida) not one. We had very little trouble, just one shake down and one traffic stop. The border crossing from Mexico to Guatemala was the worse for me, and I had to go in to Guat and then back out and then back in again! I missed the Mexico exit paperwork and it was a good way back 50 miles I think...or more. I spent almost a day total on that border crossing.
    Do you guys have your passports in order? Motorcycle paperwork? You have to have the title so you can't have a lien holder holding it.....you need it. Basically your bikes need to be paid for. I'd check now to see if your passports are good and your VIN number on your bike matches your title....I've heard stories of these things not jiving and it's a nightmare at the border.
    VanXR likes this.
  17. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think a GROM would be my choice for covering distance, but they do look like fun in the cities. They also look like an easy and tempting bike to steal. I would carry a large cable/lock and secure it anytime your away from the bike. My 2 cents. Best of Luck!
    VanXR and knight like this.
  18. Westygw

Oddometer:
    It was never designed with long distance riding in mind, which is exactly why I like it.
    I did replace the factory oiling system with some stuff to be suitable for WOT hours on end, though.

I'm planning a large Kryptonite chain between the bike and an immobile object at any stop.
    VanXR and stevo7706 like this.
  19. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    The epic rides section is full of ride reports done on bikes that are really not suited for long distance travel.
    VanXR likes this.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    How many miles and how much time on a 125cc Grom between fuel stops? Do you have the stock OEM fuel tank? What luggage will you use to carry your required equipment and locking chain? Did you get the fuel inlet recall done?
    VanXR likes this.