Pyramid Bound! 4361mi adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBlackston, Jan 29, 2017.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Absolutley! Do they do 4361 miles in 11 days in Mexico and Guatemala or any other Countries with similair traveling conditions? Take away time for borders and you are looking at approx 450 miles per day every day for 10 days.
    I suppose you have to fuel the Grom every 2 hours like most other motorcycles?
    With only one quart of oil in the bike how often do you change the oil if you are running WOT between fuel stops?
    VanXR likes this.
  2. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I think you have made your opinions pretty well known in this thread. Why don't you shut up and go away?
    VanXR and refokus like this.
  3. Westygw

Westygw Adventure riding on a mini bike.

Oddometer:
    I have the stock tank. It will do close to 200mi. per task. Fueling will not be an issue. It takes about 30 seconds to fill up using the auxiliary.

Luggage is all custom made hard cases and some waterproof baggage.

Fuel pump was recalled, not the inlet. My bike was not affected by said recall.

Chain is a long Kryptonite brand. It's about as extreme as it gets for my application.
    VanXR likes this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    So you have the Takegawa Hi Flo oil pump installed? Did you fit the Morin remote oil cooler?
    VanXR likes this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    My opinion is worth less than yours? Why don't you shut up and go away?

I've offered the guys a pretty decent sponsorship deal. I don't want recognition or stickers on the bikes....I'm just offering it as an experiment in human kindness, human physical ability test and motorcycle endurance exercise. I can't really afford more than $100 per day or I would go more.
    VanXR likes this.
  6. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Time to flush another ignorant inmate down the toilet. :flush
    VanXR and refokus like this.
  7. Westygw

Oddometer:
    I've deleted the factory oil spinner and switched to a conventional filter setup.

My oil pump is high flowing but it is not Takegawa.

My oil cooler is not Morin, but it is remote.
    VanXR likes this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Do you have pics of your mods?
    I'd like to get a Grom and modify it for reliability and speed, reliability mostly. I probably would modify the suspension too. In your opinion which is the better aftermarket rear shock?
    Do you know if anyone makes a larger fuel tank?
    What about luggage? Do you know of any racks available or is it a back pack and seat bag kind of deal?
    What year is your bike? What's a good purchase price for a new one? Would you pay cash, use Honda Financing or third party financing?
    I know it's a Honda..but isn't it made in India? How is the build quality compared to other Honda's (which in my experience has been marvelous, I am a BIG Honda fan).
    Not to knock your partners TU250...I absolutley LOVE that bike. It was one of my considerations for a trip to Argentina, along with the two Yamaha TW200's we owned at the time. After much deliberation and tips and advice on ADV we went with the Suzuki DR650 instead. Trouble with the DR650 is it's a handful off road for a guy like me with short legs, too heavy.
    I doubt you'll have to deal with much off road, maybe just road works, of which there are PLENTY in Mexico!
    VanXR likes this.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Hey what windscreen? Can I get a pic? I'd love to put a windshield on mine.
    VanXR likes this.
  10. EdChap13

EdChap13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am one of three people I've heard of to do long distance travel on a grom. Alaska guy, Juan who went west to east and back, and myself going south and north across the USA.

I honestly believe the Grom can go the distance in Mexico. What I do not believe is the time line. I averaged 200-250 miles a day on perfectly manicured USA roads and barely saw anything. If you want to stop and explore and also get some sleep, it's incredibly unlikely to average 400 miles a day. In fact the farthest I've ever gone on my grom in a day was 320 miles and I couldn't walk once I got off to greet my welcome party.

I wish y'all luck on your journey, but do not make it a race. You're on small bikes. Use them to your advantage by going deeper and farther than others can go, not faster.
    VanXR and JBlackston like this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    What is your intended departure date?
    Did you guys sort out your passports?
    Will you get bike insurance for Mexico and Guatemala?
    VanXR likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Be careful EdChap13 you may get blasted for your opinion. I did.

Nevertheless I still want to sponsor this ride.

My skin is thick and if people don't like my opinion there is little I can do about it. If they don't like the laws of physics and math there is nothing I can do about that.
    VanXR likes this.
  13. Westygw

Oddometer:
    Just when I think you're going to have a reasonable and mature discussion you but in with another smart-ass comment.
    When you were discussing components on the Grom were you even being serious or just trying to get a laugh?
    VanXR likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the-modifications available for the Grom. I'd like to see pics of your set up to get ideas for my own. I'm particularly interested in the windshield and oil cooler. The oil pump is a bigger deal and I wondered which one you chose over the Takegawa and why. Also answers to my other questions would be helpful to me in selecting other farkles to make the bike perhaps more comfortable and useful for travel/camping. How about a pic of the windshield first? That would be a big item for me.
    VanXR likes this.
  15. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your goal of riding 4361 miles through Mexico and Guatemala in 11 days is both asinine and delusional
    Riding those types of bikes in the mountains of Guatemala , you can expect to move no faster than the slowest chicken bus
    VanXR likes this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Hey Man! I'm sponsoring these guys to the tune of $100per day! Put your money where your mouth is.... will you pony up if they complete the trip as described in the original post? I could use some help.
    VanXR likes this.
  17. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol, Don't get arrested for gambling

Hey ,if they already have their trip planned down to the very last mile , maybe they do know what they are about to do , lol
    riding everyday till 5 minutes before dark then pull over into a hotel with secure parking and walking distance to an OXXO ,what could go wrong

When riding in most of the countries south of the USA ,I find its usually best to wait till around 1 in the afternoon or after 5 or 6 hours in the saddle to come up with a plan and or realistic goals for the day , as you never know what you will come across when riding on unfamiliar roads

Some of these clips are what it is like riding in Mexican traffic

VanXR, Maggot12 and PhillipsMetal like this.
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you refer to yourselves in the third person?
    VanXR likes this.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I don't know why I started doing that. But now I like it. I suppose it's because 'tuckers' is the plural of our surname and also my business name, so I guess I am trying to separate the two. Is it weird? I don't claim to be totally unweird in and of myself. I just be myself and what you see is what you get. Although I like to think I come across 'live' better than I do on the internet. My writing skills are mediocre, my spelling is actually excellent but my fingers don't work too well and neither do my eyes. Just for typing! They work good enough for most everything else. You can google 'hit a cow in baja' I broke 8 fingers and both my wrists, now I have to live with the stiffness and slight lack of dexterity. James.
    VanXR and jimmex like this.
  20. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there going to be a ride report or trip planning thread? What's the departure date?
    VanXR likes this.