[q] Rev'IT! Tornado 2 mesh jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by worker, Mar 3, 2016.

1. worker

worker Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the first tornado and really liked it. Fantastic build quality and it felt quality to me. However my thoughts are you are better off with the Rev'it Airwave 2. Both jackets work great in the summer and the liner isn't enough of a draw for the added cost. I'd rather have a winter jacket plus the airwave 2 over just the tornado. That said I really liked it and it's a solid choice if the liner and looks are worth the cost to you over the airwave. Both of these I would put just a small notch below Klim induction which is $399.

Edit: I would go with Klim induction because it would end up being cheaper than the tornado because you still have to buy a back protector. That said tornado comes with ce-2 shoulder and elbow which is nice.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I have the original airwave and I love it. LIke the previous poster, I prefer a more winter-orientated jacket for the other three seasons, but that's personal preference. The fit and the cut of the Rev-It jacket is terrific. They use 3D cut panels to achieve a more ergonomic fit and it shows.

Liners are all personal preference. In the case of the Tornado, you get a waterproof liner with some loft. Some like that, some don't. I've never ridden in Florida, so you'll need to make the call on whether it's right for you. If it were me, I'd get the Airwave 2 and an additional hi-viz waterproof overjacket to toss on when you need to rid through heinous south Florida T-storms.
  4. barryscott

barryscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tornado 2 is beefier construction then the airwave2 . Tornado is 750d main areas, 1000d in impact areas. Airwave 600d. Plus the tornado has level 2 ce protection . To me just a better jacket for the $$
  5. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Option 1: Klim induction $399. Possible to upgrade elbow and shoulder to CE-2 for a total of $450

Option 2: Rev'it tornado $369. Upgrade back protection for a total of $419.

I was favoring the Klim because of the cost but now that I look at it I think the tornado is the way to go. You get CE-2 elbow, shoulder, back, and the higher denier material in the jacket. As well as the insulated liner which is useful for anything below 70 in a mesh. Plus most of the Klim jacket is the misano fabric, only small impact area panels are actual Cordura. To get CE-2 back protection you would be way over the tornado cost. I've also held the original tornado and Klim induction side by side and thought build quality was similar (though I love forearm pocket).
  6. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also really hate to do this but for the same cost.... Also fits exact, reflective on back as well, custom size pocket and length for free.

(I added calf reflective to my old pants).

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  7. worker

worker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thx for all the replies and advise. Looks like my 4th jacket will be Revit. I forgot to note that Hi-VIz color is really important to me.
    I just got Forcefield rib protector (http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_upper_torso.htm ), so plan to have that on (wearing reverse as back+rib protector) with the jacket (that's why lack of back protector on Tornado was ok for now).

I thought motoport would not flow the air as much as I need to (but thank you for pointing out that it was not far off the price of Revit). It is really very very hot and humid in Summer.
    (Another thing that I specifically need is Hi-Viz , as I am all as hi-viz as one can be :-).)
  8. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motoport breathes really well for me. That's why I have only one chest pocket. I can see through the jacket even in dim light. I love it and breathes as well as my other mesh. I'm a fan now that I have it, but it isn't for everyone. There are really good alternatives as well. I think you'll be happy with Rev'it. Honestly I would be happy with the tornado also. If it had fit my fat ass I probably would have never looked at motoport. For what it's worth the tornado pants I fell in love with but they were a bit long with the knee armor too low. Also order a size up from size chart. I had to anyway.

Two major things though is back protector is important, especially your lower back. See soft is fantastic armor too! Better then motoport tri-armor by a lot. Secondly please buy Fabric Guard 303. Keeps water beading off which helps a lot even though it's mesh. Also keeps sun from fading the high viz.
  9. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    South FL resident as well. My full summer mesh is the BMW Venting Machine (orig, not the new one), with spring/fall covered by Revit Airforce (2007 model). I just love the Revit, but the BMW never fit quite right. However, the BMW sure does flow nicely and seems quite sturdy. I'm probably putting it in the flea market, which is what brought me to this thread. The newer BMW venting jacket seems quite nice. Any owner feedback on it?