[Q] What to wear for 3 day off road riding school

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by worker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. worker

worker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    planning to go to the bmw off road riding school in November. It is 3 days.
    I have never ridden offroad (therefore the school).

Will be using their bikes, so just wanted to know what I should wear for the 3 days
    (it is about 6 hours a day of riding with 3d day on the trails)
    I have street stuff (scorpion transformer helmet, scorpion master jacket, cortech CPX cargo pants,aerostich roadcrafter pants, sidi vertbra race boots, a couple of other mid calf boots).

I just recently ordered the juggernut body armor set (read about them on this forum, it should be arriving soon)

But I am not sure what I need to be in comfort for the lessons.

thanks in advance
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Are you taking the Two Day Off-Road with the added one-day dual sport ride? Or are you taking the Motorcycle 3-Day Tour?

Hard to say where you are used to living, but I will say in March SC was DAMN hot for us mid-atlantic folks! Additionally, we the the Two Day Off-Road with the added one-day dual sport ride. The first two days we needed the most ventilated gear we had, as you never really get out of second gear (and get the air moving).

You might PM Blur, as he lives very near there...
  3. Mucka

Mucka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would start by asking the riding school what they require. Then see what they recommend. Go from there.

Russ
  4. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    +1. Some of the BMW schools have hire gear, but you will need to arrange it in advance.

If you're doing any of their offroad courses, buy some offroad boots. I personally adv ride in road boots quite frequently, but when you're just going offroading, it's not worth the risk of a knackered ankle, IMO.
  5. Brit in SF

Brit in SF Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wore the BMW R3 suit and sidi Adv boots. Protected me well from my frequent falls. I was hot though. Maybe the heat and humidity was too much for this pasty white Brit.

Took the two day with a one day DS ride on the following day.
  6. Thrasherg

Thrasherg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend knee protectors, every time I fall I seem to hit/bang my knee and it always hurts. Knee protectors take the sting out of it and are worth their weight in gold (IMHO).. You don't need the expensive ones with articulated frames, just some bits of plastic that velcro round your calf muscles, the spread the load when you fall on them and stop cuts/scrapes.

Gary
  7. worker

worker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 day off road, and 3d day trails

Thanks for all the replies, >
    so do people wear jeans there in November (end of november) and knee pads underneath ?

thank you
  8. greybeard146

greybeard146 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 Item I Wished I'd Had
    Padded undershorts - I did not have this bit of kit, and boy, was I sore and bruised and battered in those areas...next time I do an off-road thang, these are a must have item. Seriously - save yourself a world of pain and get some!

Gear Used on My (Desert Rose) Off-Road Courses
    Sidi Crossfires - absolutely brilliant - saved my bacon, big time; I wear them all the time now - even for on-road riding.
    Klim Dakar Pants - outstanding; wear them all the time.
    Klim Shirt (can't recall which one)
    Buff - always good to have.
    Acerbis Carbon G Motocross/Enduro gloves - excellent, excellent, excellent.
    Acerbis Bodyarmour suit - brilliant bit of kit...saved my bacon numerous times.
    Acerbis knee/elbow protectors - good kit too.
    Aeroh Lid - borrowed from course-provided gear, but it did the job.
    KTM 400Exc - borrowed, and what a lovely bit of kit it was too - it took a real hammering; though quite tall for me - I lurved it and would get one for my future off-road ventures; DV.

Good luck! :thumb
  9. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    I just did the course (2 day enduro class) 3 weeks ago and was VERY GLAD I bought some closeout MX gear rather than sporting my usual DS outfit (motoport mesh). Most of the other guys had true "dual sport" gear, mainly BMW stuff, Rev'it, motoport, etc.

I had some really oddly matched, loud graphics stuff, but got everything for about $350 with armor, knee pads, MX helmet, shirt, pants, gloves, goggles, etc. (already had Sidi DS boots). It's HOT in SC, and the humidity is pretty harsh and you're really moving around a lot during the class. My MX shirt was a mesh-like material and I had o'neil mesh armor underneath so I was much cooler than the guys wearing the road/offroad stuff, could move around on the bike better, and I was probably better protected as well since the falls are more high-impact than sliding stuff, so padding was more helpful than abraision resistance.

I probably fell 293849832 times so I tested everything pretty well :-)

Only time I felt insufficiently geared was when we did a lap around the track but I don't think that was a "normal" part of the course.
  10. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Padded undies, knee pads, upper body armor. No pain.

Dress way cooler than you think.