QC Issues at Elite Motorsports in Loveland

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Nailhead, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I believe I’ve brought up my dissatisfaction with the quality of work Elite performed on my 990 last June (FI warning light on at pick up, no apparent concern for this showed by scheduling redo at the back of the line two weeks later), but now the true scope of their ineptitude and seeming apathy becomes clear:

I haven’t ridden at all since I rolled the 990 out of the trailer last summer after picking it up in Loveland. A week or so later, I broke my right thumb in an ATV crash, and that injury freaked me out as well putting me on the 60-day IL.

Fast forward to this morning, and an opportunity to inspect the bike, change the oil, and dust off my riding skills.

Wrong— the good folks at Elite have seen to it that ain’t happening, at least not the riding part.

During a short run of the engine, I notice the driving lights no longer work. They worked great before their stay in Loveland. I also notice smoke wafting up from low on the right side of the bike. This is what I found:

IMG_0691.jpg

I’m pretty sure this the fuel overflow hose, now burned to a crisp because someone at Elite didn’t care about what they were doing. Now I have to replace this so the bike doesn’t burn up on the way to Montana next week.

Next I move on to troubleshooting the lights, because I won’t ride without them around here. I find this:

IMG_0692.jpg

Not a huge deal, but that bolt was located there for a reason, I’m guessing.

Then I find this:

IMG_0693.jpg

And that’s what put me over the line. A radiator support bolt missing. Pretty goddamn important, to my way of thinking (although maybe not as important as not routing a fuel overflow over a fucking EXHAUST PIPE).

I wonder how far I would have gotten if I’d just decided to live with the light outage, and not dig into this thing?

Anyway, I’m posting this as a safety warning to my fellow inmates/riders, and as a way to make informed choices in bike repair.
    Merfman and AbeWhat like this.
  2. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Be aware that Roger and Don have sold Elite to new owners. I have no idea who is working the shop, same crew or new ones.
  3. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They lightened your bike. What's the problem?
  4. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    All new crew. I think but not sure that Flash is gone, but don’t quote me
  5. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Do you think returning the bike to the shop and challenging them to do it right is worth your time?
    MillennialFalcon likes this.
  6. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Without knowing when this transaction took place, I can't really draw any conclusions about who might have been at the helm when my bike was profaned. I don't really much care, either, in light of the fact that I'll not be riding to Montana Friday if I haven't sufficiently function tested the bike, and I can't do that until the fucker is rideable.
  7. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Bob, a phone call at the very least was what my inclination was, but when I pointed out that FI warning light last year, I was greeted by such a lack of concern that I concluded I should save my energy for fixing this thing & not add to my frustration. A variation on the old Discount Tire old lady commercial came to mind, but I'm not that strong...
  8. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Replacement radiator support bolt located at Rocky Mtn ATV after exhaustive search & assistance from a very helpful parts person at Sun: $28+- with overnight shipping.

Check that one off the list, still trying to locate the issue with the lights.
  9. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Elite seems to be on the fast track to going out of business. I had a long talk with the owner one day at lunch and he told me he had replaced the whole crew that was there when he bought the shop from Roger. So I tried again, same horrible service and attitude from the counter help. Never again, now to Denver or online.
    Nailhead likes this.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Retrace their work, likely you'll find the lighting problem somewhere along that route. I know there's good mechanics out there but I refuse to wade through the poor ones to find them, if at all possible I do the work myself. Obviously that can be an issue if you need equipment for diagnosis.
    Nailhead likes this.
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sometimes you cut your losses and move on, especially based on their tepid response. My airhead speedometer has been in one repair shop or another for the past few months with mysterious ills. Hard to be patient.
    Nailhead likes this.
  12. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Bob, I have a friend in so Denver who has been doing BMW speedos for many years, I could ask if it’s ok to give you his contact info if you’d like.
  13. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC the first I heard that Elite was sold was last fall, so your beef would not be with the current owners, just saying.

BTW, I'm local to you and have a ton of metric fasteners, PM me if I can help.
    Nailhead, Hondo, =o&o> and 1 other person like this.
  14. NoCo68

NoCo68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more comments on this since I just bought a bike from them not too long ago. Anyone have a more recent service experience?
  15. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Get the pack of bolts for $55!
    https://www.chapmoto.com/bolt-hardw...MI-NrFsbTJ4wIVAZSzCh2LkAhPEAQYBSABEgLRI_D_BwE

I've had the vibrate off KTMs I've owned especially the 300 and the 640.
    Nailhead likes this.
  16. MrBob

Oddometer:
    At the moment, the gauge is in Oregon with inmate Wirespokes. He comes highly recommended for airhead gauges.
    He was ready to ship it back but decided he wasn’t done fussing with it yet. I will keep your offer in mind if this adventure is not yet over.
    I bought a used GPS unit so I at least know how fast I’m going.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  17. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I need that bolt by Friday, so that restricts my options to a surprising degree. None of the online retailers I checked offered expedited shipping (Rocky Mtn was the exception), and Sun needed a week to get it.

Also, this bolt almost certainly did not vibrate off: the imprint it left on the rubber isolator is shiny new, like it was exposed yesterday-- no dust, mud, water staining, etc.-- which essentially it was.
  18. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    Call elite and ask for your bolt back. Or, source the same thread and bolt size at a local hardware store. Cut to length if needed to get you on the road Friday.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  19. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    The first I've heard of that is here, so I didn't know that when I: 1. Noticed everything (that I'm thus far aware of) they did wrong in repairing (:fpalm) my bike. 2. Posted up this cautionary tale as a result.

Since I do believe in fair play and honorable behavior, I'll do this: if the current owners want to reach out to me in an effort to make amends for this, I'll certainly be receptive, and there would be a good chance this thread (and my Yelp review) would disappear. I'm guessing this forum is familiar to at least one person associated with Elite, so this is as far as my outreach will go.

And thank you very much for your offer (I misread that last paragraph initially.). That replacement bolt should arrive tomorrow, so I should be ok (in that area, anyway).
  20. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    The first idea I discounted due to the passage of time, and the second I had to when I deduced the missing bolt has a shoulder that fits the rubber isolator in the radiator, both lengthwise & diametrically. I'm no stranger to going to the hardware store for improv components, but this one due to its configuration & importance is one I'm glad to stay OEM with.