Quad Lock Smartphone/Cell Mount Fails @ 10,000 miles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DoyleyBird, Nov 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DoyleyBird

DoyleyBird Up to no good

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Sharing my experience with Annex's Quad Lock I took on my 20,000 mile journey around North America.

Unfortunately the mount completely failed around the 10k mark and was mostly unusable at 8k. I had my iPhone fly off the bike at 80mph on the Interstate.

The problem is the plastic-to-plastic contact will vibrate and eventually wear out the mounting system. I alleviated this with strips of sticky foam I had in my toolkit for picture frame mounting.

DO NOT use this for extended trips. I was left without a phone mount for almost 2 months on the road. They offered to replace the broken parts however, I didn't know where I would be or how long the parts would take.

I'm disappointed in the Melbourne based companies product marketed to motorcyclists as I live here. I hope they take this feedback on board and I'm 100% behind them to fix this because I honestly loved when it was working!

The bike: DR650 on 80/20. It just couldn't handle the vibrations. Maybe okay on a road-bike.

All the best,

Oeths and jackbyo like this.
  2. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had an issue. Sucks.

I've been quite a fan of my Quad Lock. I've used my phone case for about 3 years now. It's been on my mountain bike, road bike, a gsa (sold) and now a harley. I do about 4,000 miles on the bicycles and 8,000 miles on the motorcycles a year. So far, so good. I really like the convenience. It takes quite a shaking on the mountain bike, not so much on the rest. That might be the difference, as you say.
  3. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience with quad lock has been just the opposite. I’ve used their mount or several years and well before they started marketing to motorcyclists. I have mounts on both my bikes and bicycle and it has always been rock solid, on and off road. Sorry to hear about your experience but it may be isolated.
  4. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same after 3-4000 mixed road/off road Kim’s

Was finally replaced after sending them pics and videos of the issue.
  5. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a 4000km transcontinental ride trip across Australia from west to east recently, I brought a quadlock setup for my 990, just so I could mount my phone on my dash to have it up and about & but was disappointed to noticed that it started to become quite loose after about the 3rd day & then on the 4th day one of the 4 tabs broke off. I was still able to use it, however this made it even looser on the lock.
    Not sure if its a poor design or just a poor choice of materials, but either way, its pretty weak.

[​IMG]
  6. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I've had one for 3 years, and no problems at this point.

Like anything I guess there are some lemons.

Looking at the pic above there's quite a bit of dirt/dust on it. I wonder if that contributes to the wear, essentially sandpapering the mount til it fails for you guys that ride a lot of dirt (in reference to the initial post)? Since I do mostly pavement I don't get that issue.
    Fabnut likes this.
  7. DoyleyBird

DoyleyBird Up to no good

Oddometer:
    Looks the same as mine.

Quad Lock palmed it off as 'this shouldn't happen'. It clearly does.

@ToothDocJay that grey dust is from the rubbing of plastic-on-plastic. I used mine 80/20 mostly twin track. I was adventure riding so nothing abusive. This comes under advertised 'motorcycle' use and it's clearly not suited for this kind of riding.

I need a solution for a Melbourne > London ride and I can't trust this device to get me there. I'll take the remains to the head office.
    Fabnut likes this.
  8. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try to seek as much offroad as much as I can do, so its probably 80/20 if Im honest , so after this abysmal result with quadlock, I dont think its well suited. Incidentally, on the ride I was on recently, one of my mates had a Touratech phone holder, which Id seen before but was great to see one in the flesh. It was made from stainless steel & looked very robust & so Im thinking this is the way Ill go.
  9. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your spot on mate, for off road with all the dust etc, the plastic dosnt seem to cope very well at all. I think for pavement, its probably fine.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I don't mean to rub salt in the wound but have you looked at the Perfect Squeeze mounts CNC manufactured by HondoGarage in Montana ? The dang things are bulletproof.
    Evoraptor likes this.
  11. serrge

serrge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using QuadLock for the past 3 yrs with a couple different iPhones. I have the Out Front mount on my road motorcycle. Not long after starting to use with each phone the phone would get slightly loose on the mount. Only perceptible while mounting/dismounting the phone. I thought the issue would be with the case so I got QuadLock to send a replacement case for each phone. That didn’t help, the phones would start to get slightly loose again after a short while.

I still like the system and didn’t think the problem was bad enough, so I bought another Out Front for my road bicycle. Surprise, surprise, the mount is a revised version which now has a rubber ring co-molded on the mount surface. So it’s no longer just plastic on plastic when mounted. The rubber ring now creates friction to prevent the phone from becoming loose.

I’ve swapped the old mount on the motorcycle with the new one. I haven’t done a lot of trips in the meanwhile, but got a big one planned for next month. I shall report here on how did the revised mount behave.
    DoyleyBird likes this.
  12. serrge

serrge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just as expected, the revised mounted cured the tendency for phones to get loose on the mount.

I’ve just completed a 2200km trip and my phone still has no signs of being loose on the mount.
  13. DoyleyBird

DoyleyBird Up to no good

Oddometer:
    Great to hear. I'll check this out or go with the Hondo Perfect Squeeze for my RTW.
  14. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a second mirror mount version around the same time you purchased yours, but mine seems to be exactly like the first mount I purchased years ago. Looks like I didn't get an updated one. Oh well. I haven't had any issues with any of mine, but I also haven't done as many miles as the original poster has. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them.