Quail Motorcycle Gathering. 5/14/11

Discussion in 'Photos' started by billy bee, May 14, 2011.

1. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
  2. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    App did not work as planned. But the photos are all up now. I was pretty busy all day and did not get to see as much as i would have like. There were some amazing bikes here. I'll work on getting good ones to show up in the thread...

bb
  3. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Everybody attemding was greeted by this thing as they drove up. I thought it was a relic from Burning Man, but it is usually parked in Moss Landing, I'm told...

[​IMG]

Each piece of this scaled-looking fender is the head of a shovel...
    [​IMG]

This is a car HD built to showcase their new engine and first ever 3-speed transmission at the 1915 World's Fair. One of 12 made. And the owner was a very nice guy. He spent the entire day chatting people up...
    [​IMG]

The Land Rover booth was right next to the Ducati booth. We might as well have been invisible... Ducati debuted the Pikes Peak edition of the Multi. They are hoping (my friend) Greg Tracy will win overall next year.
    [​IMG]

I am increasingly taken with older twins, bobbers, and flat tracker builds. There was plenty to look at.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd never seen the fins drilled like on this XR. Not sure it it was to save weight or improve cooling or both...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the Quail Ride yesterday, 5/13. This bike made the ride as did a few dozen others that were on display and judged today.
    [​IMG]

While thi is a contemporary bike, I love the Old School, New School appeal of these flat trackers. "Basic" Harley 1200 engine and Penske shock
    [​IMG]
  4. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    This was the Winner's Circle...[​IMG]

Most innovative went to this diesel-engined thingy.
    Fred Hayes was here with two HDT bikes (not KLRs).All three diesel bikes completed the trip yesterday and competed in the Craig Vetter MPG Challenge. Not sure who won...
    [​IMG]

This Vincent's owner started the bike after the show. Beautiful music...
    [​IMG]

Vincent engine cutaway. A work of art...
    [​IMG]

It scares me that bikes I lusted after when I first started riding (like this TT500) are "vintage" bikes now...
    [​IMG]

Maybe it's b/c I am now a Buell Owner that these American twins appeal to me...
    [​IMG]

Speaking of Buells, here is a treasure trove of tubers
    [​IMG]

Another rider from Friday. This think looks like it weighs a lot...575 lbs, and the builder/owner says it is "flickable." I did not see him riding it but let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Some very nice details in this build.
    [​IMG]
  5. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    The owner of this rig was an, um, interesting guy. He'd owned this rig for 30 years and recently repainted and built the cowl it to match/cover his Ducati 750SS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there was food. Got around to eating at 2:30. Ribs, corn, cornbread with honey butter, potato salad, iceberg lettuce with bleu cheese, and strawberries and scones for desert...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The event was well attended. There were some great collections and collectors in attendance. And it was particularly nice that the venue was spacious. No crowding at all. It could have easily swallowed twice as many people...but the atmosphere was amazing.
  6. 'Rett Butler

'Rett Butler Happily Married

Oddometer:
    My TT500 is at least as nice as the one you saw there.

...and I thought I didn't have anything to enter into the show :D

Maybe next year.