quality bike for Cent/South America...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by redelvis, Jul 24, 2013.

1. redelvis

redelvis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply eakins. I figured getting an aftermarket tank would be my best bet, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't only once or twice that I would need the extended range. Gotta spend money before you have your fun I suppose :D
  2. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    My $0.02... If you got the cash to spend, great. But if you don't... Don't let the cash stop you from having your adventure. Any bike will do. Spend $4 on an inline plastic fuel filter, make a cheap pad for your seat, find used/free safety gear from other inmates and hit the road. All the money most people think they need to equip their bike is almost always better spent on tacos and beer.
  3. redelvis

redelvis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Benny, I hear ya loud and clear! I won't have enough money to do the trip I want unless I spend very little on preparing the bike. I'll be cruising a fully stock bike, as far as performance goes. I've already bought a rack/luggage and I will next buy a larger gas tank. After that I'll get some rain gear and call it good. I just flat out can't afford much of what I'd like to have, but I also realize I don't need it. Only 9-10 more months to go!
  4. Dr. Benny

Oddometer:
    atta boy! You're going to have so many wild and wonderful adventures! :ricky
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Quote of the day. Cheers, Ben!
  6. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    redelvis,

Talk with JDowns on this forum.. or read his thread riding a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250cc with very little preparing and he rode it down from Nebraska to Colombia. I saw him in Medellin couple of months ago and most likely see him again in few weeks. He bought it used (cheaper than new) and slapped it with bigger tank, sheep cover for seat, and a cheap toolbox from hardware store as a top box then rode it down there with just $5,000 budget and made it just fine.

So that's the same advice Dr.Benny is saying :lol3
  7. redelvis

redelvis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gas tank question for my DR650 which gets approximately 50 mpg. So I'm thinking about ordering an IMS 4.9 gallon tank. My reasons for choosing this particular tank are: lighter than the Acerbis when full, no turn signal modification needed like the Acerbis, and 10 bucks cheaper than the Acerbis.

So my question is… on a trip through Central and South America which won't include any crazy off-road exploration, will I be fine without the extra .4 gallons of fuel the Acerbis would provide? I guess what I'm not sure of is the farthest distance I may travel without fuel available to purchase. I realize this varies with route chosen, but generally speaking I don't know what the longer distances to expect without fuel may be.

I'm not a big, tall, or strong person, so I'd like to keep the weight of the bike a little lighter when I can to help me handle it easier. But I'm not so worried about the weight that I want to risk running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, obviously.

One more thing. I believe I also will need to buy a new petcock, is this true? Does the stock petcock not work with larger aftermarket tanks? Will the 'Raptor' petcock work well (it's pretty inexpensive)?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me!
  8. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    I think you are being too over concerned. Seriously you want to pay $XXX for extra .4 gallon when you could pay $X-$XX for a spare fuel tank? And based on your comment of no plan to do off-road explore, I think you will be fine with what you ride. Just carry a spare fuel tank that is cheaper than Acerbis fuel tank even though you will rarely use it.

When I was in Colombia, I made one mistake- I started my day not filling up and my bike got really low on fuel it told me I had 40KM left to go and GPS told me next fuel station is 85KM away.. hmmm well, I became assertive and stopped every road construction to ask if they had gas?? After few stops, one had spare fuel in his jeep he sold it to me for 20MIL ($10USD) and I had enough until next gas station to fill up. No problem!! The bike was rental BMW 1200GS. And based on my observe in Colombia, really any motorcycle will do just fine with off-road to a minimum. You will be fine.. just pack your bike and GO!! Don't bother worrying about any upgrade!!
  9. Dr. Benny

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine with the stock tank for 95% of your ride. Even in a pinch, you'll find some guy's house on the road side who has a jug of gas for sale. In Bolivia I took extra fuel (but ended up not needing it). I used the same expensive fuel jugs that the locals used. Much cheaper than those after market tanks...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Unless you're getting lost in the backcountry, you'll be fine. Exceptions are stretches of Patagonia. But even then, the key is to fill up often (even when you don't need to). Sometimes a station will be sold out of gas, or they won't have electricity that day to run the pumps. Maybe you just filled up 50 miles ago. Go ahead and fill up again just to be safe. But for most of the ride, it's very populated and you'll find gas easy.
  10. redelvis

redelvis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WhicheverAnyWayCan, sorry my post was a little unclear. The .4 gallon difference I was referring to was between the two different aftermarket tanks I'm considering, not my stock tank and an aftermarket tank. My stock tank only gets me about 150 miles and that seems like an extremely short range to me.

I realize that many things won't be perfect throughout a trip like this, but I don't want my lack of preparing for basic, obvious concerns (like fuel range) to have me stranded. I feel I need to address the fuel issue and I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money, relocating of signals, and weight for .4 gallons of the Acerbis tank over the slightly smaller IMS tank. I suppose I could also go the Kolpin/Rotopax route as well…. just looking for some ideas that have others may have worked well for them during their long distance travels through foreign lands :D
  11. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I throw one of these 1.5L MSR fuel bottles inside my pannier. It only gives me about 25 more km of range but it is cheap and easy to deal with. The returnable soda bottles are thicker than the disposable ones but generally plastic soda bottles are weak and will eventually rupture.

[​IMG]
  12. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Understood! Ok if you are getting about 150 miles, that is about 240KM assuming you are using 50mpg calculation. At 40mpg calculation that is 120 miles = 193km. If you carry what SR suggested, that would add about 25km = to 218km. I think this is plenty. And if you are using stock seat with slight modification, i.e. sheep skin, then 100 miles is about enough before taking each break. Since you are not going to do much of off-road, you will be ok. And as few has said, just stop and ask for gas. That is exactly what make it an adventure and extra story to tell when you are done with your trip. Otherwise, it would be boring.

And FYI, if it makes you feel better, I am building my Harley sportster and I am staying with 2.5 gallons tank with plan to build a aux fuel cell. 2.5 gallons is enough for about 125 miles.
  13. redelvis

redelvis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dr. Benny, I just read your 'Few More Miles' blog. DAMN NICE! That is exactly the trip I envision myself taking (except I'll probably spring for the Stahlratte:D). I'll likely not have enough money to do the entire trip, but I'll be setting out to make an attempt nonetheless. Thanks for taking the time to create the blog and posting here in my thread with suggestions!
  14. Dr. Benny

Oddometer:
    My pleasure amigo! Ya... Don't take the Metacommet across the gap :eek1

Here's another site you'll want to bookmark: http://www.borderhelper.com

Have a great ride! :freaky
  15. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    The 4.9 gal tank will be fine. In rare instances where you really get off the beaten path if you so choose, you can always carry more, but with a 200 mile range, you will be fine 99% of the time. The times that you won't be fine, you will know it and plan accordingly. However, get out of the mind set that you need a to find a gas station to get fuel. Many small villages in remote areas will have someone selling gas on their front porch or back yard. You simply have to ask around. If you carry a Baja Credit Card (siphon tube) you can even scrounge gas from folks that stop to see if you're OK on the side of the road when you run out. Just make sure they are not driving a diesel. :lol3 That 4.9 will be more than sufficient unless you decide to get really remote.