Quality time in Dawson City and the Dempster Hwy

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ratman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi, guy;
    I spent a couple weeks running around Alaska and Canada. I trailered a couple small dual sport bikes up there for the dirt roads. I ran the road to Deadhorse last year, so this year it was all about the the road to Inuvik.

We got caught in some weather which made that ride kind of interesting. Anyway bits and pieces of my trip can be found at wfifanak.blogspot.com At least read the part about the Dempster Hwy.

Doug and I spent almost a week, all together, in Dawson City. It was enough time to get under that towns skin a bit, and into it's history. If you get up there go to their museum and there 'dredge' tour....and their visitor centers. See the museam DVD about the 'City of Gold'. Those old gold stampeders were to be admired.

The girls at the Northwest Territory visitors center were very helpful and friendly. Thanks to Nadia Lenny.........And her neice (a very pretty girl) at the VC in Inuvik.
  2. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    I think the girls at the Dawson City visitor's center were cuter. They furnished me with information and maps on Forty Mile, an old abandoned mining town off the Top of the World Highway. Forty Mile is well worth the effort it takes to get there.
  3. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, when you are as old as I am, they all look cute, but seriously, we were going to Inuvik, so we spent a lot of time at the NWT Visitors Center, and those gals were very personable and helpful.

After being shut out on our first attempt at Inuvik by Ferries that weren't running, we later called the gals at the NWT VC from Homer to see if the ferries were back running again. Knowing they were running again gave us the impetus to go back for a second attempt. We made it to Inuvik that time.

We were at the Dawson City VC as well, and receive helpful info there also. I really enjoyed my time there in Dawson City.

We made a couple trips over the 'Top of the world Hwy'. I was never really sure where '40 mile' was. It is certainly easy to see why it is called Top of the World Hwy, though.

I wanted to run up to Eagle, but didn't get to do that. As I look at the map while sitting here in San Diego, I see a lot of places that I wish I had gone. I probably won't get up there again....but you never know.....
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    You are right- the girl in the NWT VC in Dawson was really cute. I chatted with her about weather, road conditions, and the jewelry she was making- anything to enjoy her beauty and the cute northern Canada accent :evil

-ted, working on being a dirty old man
  5. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    Did you guys do a shot with a finger in it??? :lol3
  6. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Those are toes, Lou... and did you get the PM 'bout Tommy and Rosa? Give 'em a shout whenever you're ready.
  7. Louge

Oddometer:
    Nope, no PM about Tommy and Rosa ... enlighten me. :D They should be hooked up to look at the Golden Gate bridge for a few days.

Other than the $240. RCMP Thank You card :deal I had a great time up north. :huh :lol3

Come Together

Here come old flattop he come grĂ¼ven up slowly
    He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller
    He got hair down to his knee
    Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
    He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
    He say "I know you, you know me"
    One thing I can tell you is you got to be free ...

Livin' free in Dawson City ...
  8. 2aufweltreise

2aufweltreise Weltreisende

Oddometer:
    Hi Lou, found you on ADV, we want to thank you for the address in San Francisco!!
    Had a really great time up north, was good to meet you and other guys like Burke, Tom, Barb (AlaskaLeather)....And we met Klaus, your fellow with the KTM and had a couple of beers with him!
    :freaky
    We're back in Vancouver, heading down slowly at the coast...
    Hope to see you again some day!
    Rosa and Tommy

[​IMG]

Dawson City

[​IMG]

Dempster Hihgway

[​IMG]

Dempster Highway

[​IMG]

With Barb - AlaskaLeather in Anchorage

[​IMG]

Washing bikes at Tom's home in Anchorage

[​IMG]

Portage Valley

[​IMG]

Homer Spit

[​IMG]

Valdez

[​IMG]

Hyder

More pics: http://www.2aufweltreise.de/foto_engl.html
  9. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    :wave Rosa!

:wave Tommy!

Your ride reports: :clap :clap :clap :clap

:thumb

bon voyage,
    Burke
  10. Louge

Oddometer:
    Hey Tommy and Rosa!!!

W:DW, so mannny fond Dawson City memories with you guys. :freaky
    Sure wish we had crossed pathes again in Homer!

Eventhough it came out fuzzy the pix below is one of my trip favorites:

lou, Tommy, Rosa, Wakia-toh, Mike and Pat making happy hour beer can survival stoves :photog:lol3
    before feasting on thick pork chops off the grill :tb :dg