Quebec Nordvik Express - shipping your bike

Discussion in 'Canada' started by redseca2, Mar 5, 2005.

1. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone shipped their motorcycle (and themselves) by the Nordvik Express cargo/passenger ship from Rimouski or Sept Iles out to Blanc Sablon, way past the last road?

Their website, http://www.desgagnes.com/en/home/244.cfm shows them loading things like motorcycles strapped on a pallet onto the deck of the ship. This could be good or this could be bad. Otherwise, the cabins and amenities look like a typical long-haul ferry, like Alaska or BC.

From there you can see a bit of Labrador and then take a short ferry to St. Barbe on Newfoundland's north coast. This route allows you to see the Maritimes in depth without backtracking. We are starting in San Francisco, so backtracking is BAD.
  2. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    redseca2

I spoke to a fellow who he and five buddies did it 2 or 3 years ago. Said it was great. I was thinking of doing it, getting off the boat and riding around to Cartwright and then back across the Trans Labrador. We have a timeline crunch, so another time.

From the pictures that I saw, your bike gets put onto a square box without sides and gets loaded on and off the boat by crane. It's a freighter more that a ferry as I recall. He said the small fishing villages are great, you stop at port and are given 1 - 2 hours to explore while they unload cargo and then it's onto the next village.

He will be in Florida now, but I can try and find an email address for him.
  3. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ontario GS

Thanks for the reply, this appears to be workable. I will call the shippers during the work week and post the costs here for posterity. I too have time contraints, plenty of compensated vacation time but how to take it. But this trip would be a whopper if I can find the way to pull it off. I want to ride from San Francisco to Vancouver BC to St. Johns NL and circle back through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. at that point we are 3500 miles from home though...