Quesnel - Vanderhoof backroads

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Taxguy, May 11, 2005.

1. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning my ride to Hyder in a couple of weeks and my map indicates I can get from Quesnel over to Vanderhoof on some backroads going through Blackwater. Anyone have any experience on these roads? I know they will be gravel, but are they doable on a Strom?
  2. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just emailed some people at the Fishpot resort, that is near Nazko,....

"Good Morning Jay

Yes by traveling north from Nazko you cross the Blackwater river and then the Euchiniko river then follow the road around Pelican Lake you can go either to Prince George or follow the back roads to Vanderhoof.The most uptodate B.C.Backroads map book has all of those roads clearly marked in it so you should have no trouble finding your way around.

Please advise if we can help you further.

Yours

Pete & Cyndy
    Fishpot Lake Resort"

:D
  3. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bentspoke - I concluded the same thing so we will be staying at the Nazko Valley Lodge and then taking the backroads up to Vanderhoof.
  4. russelldyck

russelldyck n0Ob

Oddometer:
    Back roads? yer lookin fer back roads? Man we've got'im come'in out the ying yang out here:lol3 I just checked out my BC back roads map book and there is most deffinatly back roads going from Quesnel to Vanderhoof.
    Just to mention, if you do plan on buying the Bc back roads map books you will need to buy the one for the Caribboo and also the one for the central BC area.
  5. russelldyck

russelldyck n0Ob

Oddometer:
    Oops, if yer stay'in in Nazko yer gonna also need the map book for the Chilcotin area too, that is to say if you will be buying them that is, and if you are, just say the word and save 60 bucks on map books and I'll just make photo copies of the maps you need
  6. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Oddometer:
    Since you live in Quesnel,..have you ever been on the road south of Barkerville, that comes out at Likely? I have always wanted to do that.
  7. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer but too late - we went from Nazko to Vanderhoof and my mapbook was entirely inadequate - it took us 5 hours and some time on the most awful roads but we finally found Vanderhoof. Had a great trip that included over 1,000km of gravel backroads!
  8. russelldyck

russelldyck n0Ob

Oddometer:
    I've been on that road but have yet to actually finnish the Quesnel-Likely-Barkerville loop, or should I say that I've been unsuccesfull in getting my lazy ass outa bed early enough to do the whole loop:lol3 .
    The loop would be, from my place on Durrell Road. Head south on hwy97till just past Kersley, head west on french road(1800rd) till Hydraulic road, head south on Hydraulic road. Now if you head south on Hydraulic road long enough you come to an emergency air strip
    [​IMG]

Some wheres in the middle of no wheres on a side road, heading east where the Hydrualic road connects with the Buxton Creek road.
    [​IMG]
    Now it's at the end of this air strip that things start getting good as the road up a head is deactivated for about 15klm till sooner or later it connects up with the Buxton creek road(2600 rd).
    Keep heading south and you will come across the highway heading to Likely.
    Going from Likely is prety simple as the road, Keithly Creek/Barkerville fsr(100 rd) heading north to Barkerville is a well traveled route.
    From Barkerville you have choice, you can take the highway back into Quesnel or you can take one of the many backroads/trails that do sooner or later take you back to town.
    Guess I'm gonna have to start treating Saterday and Sunday like workdays just so I can actually get in some proper back country touring done.
  9. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Oddometer:
    That last pic looks like Western oregon.
    Also got this email the other day............

"Hello Jay
    Your request for some info on the back roads south of Vanderhoof was passed on to me a while ago and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. If you want to drive west from Quesnel all the way to the Kenny Dam, it is possible but a little confusing.

You should head west out to Batnuni Road or you can go up the Blackwater Road. If you go out the Batnuni Road, follow it until you reach the Pelican Lake road and turn north. Follow it up until you reach the 50 km marker ( you are working you way back towards zero ) and then turn west onto the Clear Lake 100 road. Follow that road until it goes across the Chilako River at about 36 km. after you cross the river go about another .5 of a km and stay to the left ( if you go right onto the 600 road you will still end up in the same place but it is just a little futher ) When you go left you continue up the 100 road for another 14-15 km until you reach the 400 roadwhere you turn left. You are now at km 440, go up to 455 and turn left onto the main Kluskus. The kluskus is a big road which you follow to 73.25 km where you turn right onto the 500 road (Kluskus Natalkuz FSR ). Follow the 500 road to 26 km and you will be at the Dam.

If you take the Blackwater Road follow it until you hit the Pelican road turnoff just south of West Lake and follow it back to 50 km and onto the Clear Lake 100.

I would suggest stopping in at you local Forest Service Office and asking for a Recreation Map for Vanderhoof and Prince George ( to make your trip a bit less interesting )

If you need clearer directions or have any questions, please feel free to give me a call. "
  10. russelldyck

russelldyck n0Ob

Oddometer:
    Hmmm sounds like a fun weekend in the making to me, if it ever stops frickin raining:baldy And also went to Vanderhoof for the day today, Mom needed surgury to fix acouple of fingers, so that left me with nothing but time for explorring. Bentspoke was you that gets to spend the the winters out there? How in the sam hills do you pull that off? I spent one day there and I was ready to go home, of course that would have been differant if'n I had the bike instead of the jeep. Couldn't even find a bike shop to hang out in while there:cry
  11. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Oddometer:
    Was not me. But sounds like fun.
  12. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    I saw this post WAYY too late. I've been all over that country on bikes and quads and its alot of fun. You can find all sorts of neat little roads to explore in the Blackwater area. A great one is the old Telegraph trail which is also in the area.

Sorry I missed it :cry