Question About Apple TV

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Nailhead, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I’ve downloaded two network apps that require a cable provider to use, which I don’t have because I stream tv.

Isn’t the idea behind a streaming device to avoid a cable provider?

Anyway-

Is there a workaround for this?
  2. Elmer

Elmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No work around that I know of. But it’s the last gasp from the cable networks. I ditched DirecTV several years ago and haven’t looked back. If you’re looking for sports, such as ESPN and the like you’re probably out of luck. However, they’re on the ropes financially so it might not be long before they offer their programming to us cord cutters.
  3. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    YouTube TV actually has a good selection of sports programming, more than I'm interested in, actually. I'd just like to do on-demand watching of certain programming on the two apps I mentioned. I didn't have any such obstacles with HBO Now & CBS, so I was surprised when TBS & Science wouldn't work.
  4. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about adding Acorn and BritBox but use Apple TV for everything else. Same deal?

Having wireless keyboard and mouse with a computer that can send to AppleTV/Firestick/Etc. seems to be the only option for them.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    At this point, I feel I better clarify something really important to this discussion: I went the streaming route really only because I was fed up with Comcast, and looking to reduce the monthly bill. It wasn't a geek trip. I may be the most computer/IT/newfangled whatchamacallit incompatible user here. It took me several years to figure out how to change my avatar to the current one because of the terror these processes inspire in me, and this terror has resulted in ignorance of all but basics of any of this stuff, and a fear of the terminology and processes you outline.

Anyway, I use Apple TV exclusively and really like it (the screensavers & picture quality are the bomb), but you're saying I'd need to add a couple more devices to get where I want to go?
  6. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Nailhead no, not saying to add any more devices. I included firestick for the non-Apple folks who need to stream from a computer and have that device.

My hope was to encourage others to say what they have done so us very technologically backward folks can be entertained by what we don’t really understand!
  7. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Oh, ok— got ya.

See what I mean? I had no idea what you were talking about.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  8. Elmer

Elmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are an Amazon Prime member you get access to their video services. Most of the major networks have a subscription service that costs nominally $10/month to get their content.

I like sports but after ditching DirectV I've found that i don't miss sitting in front of the TV for several hours and actually go outside and do things. It's pretty liberating. My wife and I watch only what we want, when we want to watch it. There's a tremendous amount of very good content out there now via Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and the like.

The only device that I'm using is Apple TV 4.
  9. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I know, I get that— I just want make the network apps I download actually work. There’s some content on tbs I really like, but I can’t watch it on their ridiculous app without having a cable provider. A streaming platform offering apps that require a cable subscription defies logic to me.
    Tmaximusv likes this.