Question about insurance

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Oran Bishop, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Oran Bishop

Oran Bishop n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi how do you insure your bike against theft and other acts of bandits?
    Outside Europe for instance
    dooby likes this.
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basically you cannot, in most if not all countries outside of the country or area in the case of the EU that the bike is registered in the only insurance you can get is basic third party only for damage to people and property.
    nickguzzi and glitch_oz like this.
  3. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    While the loss of your bike would be devastating to your trip, if you cannot afford the financial loss of the bike then you cannot afford the trip. I know that sounds harsh but you really need to be prepared financially and mentally to walk away if necessary.

Some perspective. When my wife and I travel (we've been rtw and throughout central America) our focus is on enjoying ourselves and not getting hurt. A medical emergency in the middle of Mongolia or some third world village would be far worse than leaving a couple bikes behind. Other than some basic precautions we just don't worry about the bikes very much. We've never had any real problems with theft, at least nothing that couldn't be easily replaced. Also, we've found that outside of first world countries hotels have been very concerned and accommodating about our bikes. To the point of insisting that we park a couple of dirty mud covered motorcycles in the middle of their lobby. Another time a hotel cleared a space in the middle of a preset wedding reception area and just requested that we move the bikes in the morning before the 10 am wedding.

My point being that you are probably overly concerned with bike theft. And if it is something you have to be worried about then maybe a smaller less valuable bike would be a better option for your travels. Just my $.02, worth half that.
  4. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is not and there won't be an insurance company that will provide coverage for such a trip (objective view). Measure of risk is just impossible for them to quantify.
    We're an insurance broker creating coverage for over landing travelers, so providing facts from experience.

As for medical repatriation either Medjet or Globalrescue are the ones to go for.

BR
    Dooby
    glitch_oz and MJS like this.