Question about Rade Garage Auxiliary Tank 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LucasP, Feb 9, 2020.

1. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I am currently installing the underseat auxiliary tank from rade garage.
    As I bought the tank from someone without hardware, I ordered a hardware kit from rade himself.
    Now this hardware kit doesn't include the plastic protector/shroud/thing for placing on the bottom of the tank.

He mentioned that he only provided that protector with the old models and not with the newer ones.
    Does this mean I am fine installing the tank without protection on the bottom?

Logic tells me that it should be fine, since it's a 5mm thick crosslink-plastic thing and rocks rarely get kicked up to that area (my oem plastic doesn't have a single dent). Still wanted to ask you guys.

Maybe someone has an easily solution to put under for extra protection.

Thanks!
  2. ElwoodBlues

ElwoodBlues Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, I'll just run it without.

I read the thread a little, did you ever get a problem with the fuel sitting in the venttubes leaking out or something? I am also considering getting proper fuel line and hose clamps to make 100% sure there is no leaking.....
  4. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    Never had any issues with leaking fuel, all lines bone dry and I did some serious offroading so pretty pleased. I did replace the plastic T-fittings with brass ones, used proper hose clamps and hooked up the vent line in the balancing hose between the tanks. I’ve read some posts of people who routed the vent line up front in the open air and then it will spew some fuel when the aux tank is full.
  5. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good, yeah i layed my fuel line a bit different along the engine. It is touching the ignition cover at some point, but I think (since the fuel line is capable of running till 150 degrees Celsius) that it wont have any issues. Your thoughts?
    I ran my vent line like rade said in his manual, but also threw out some fuel when it is full yeah. Just looking for a fuel cap still, since I have non now haha
  6. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    Ignition cover? You mean the alternator cover on the LH side of the engine? Depends on the routing, temp wise I guess you’ll be oké, but you don’t want the fuel hose chafed and then leaking fuel. Photo?
  7. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dddd.jpg
  8. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry for size and quality, just did a quick upload, new to the forum. I liked this more than running it so narrowly behind the tank. But in hindsight it isn't perfect and I would still consider running it like rade tells you to. Its not really chafing though. or at least not enough to do anything within 100k km...
  9. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    Think that is not a problem, as long as it doesn’t rub any sharp edges. I still keep a sharp eye on any possible leakages when riding.
  10. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Naah should be fine, I'll find out soon enough when it isn't anyways haha.

Thanks for the answers man!
    ElwoodBlues likes this.