Question about the Garmin 60CSX

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Bob Tosi, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found them for $200 at costco.com. they come with the basics;

from costco's web site:

Includes: GPSMAP 60CSx, Basemap, 64 MB microSD card, Belt clip, USB cable, MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager, Wrist strap, Owner's manual, Quick start guide
    High-sensitivity GPS receiver gives you improved satellite reception even in heavy tree cover or deep canyons
    Barometric altimeter provides extremely accurate elevation data
    Electronic compass can determine your heading and direction, even when you're standing still
    IPX7 waterproof case can withstand an accidental dunk in the water and still perform
    Large, color TFT display makes viewing the screen easy, day or night
    Built-in Americas autoroute basemap, including highways, exits and tide data, gives you automatic, turn-by-turn directions

Is this a good deal?
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the going price at a couple places for 60s. West Marine has 76Cx for $180 from time to time. Both have been replaces with 62/78
  3. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    does the 76 CX have any adavatanges over the 60CSX?
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    60 & 76 have identical screen and firmware functions, only case is different.

Note "S" is electronic altimeter and compass which is of no use to me but some, especially hikers like it. I think the "S" is about a $20 adder.

I wouldn't call them advantages for 76 but the 60 has some issues. A few have popped out of RAM mount so most users use a zip tie to hold it in. If dropped, the external antenna can break off. The main thing for me is that the buttons on the 76 are a little higher and further apart and much easier to use with gloves on.
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Much simpler to just use the nylon wrist strap that comes with the unit. Loop it around the handlebar like a leash, and you won't ever lose it. I've never had it pop out of the RAM mount, but I'm not willing to chance it either. :wink:
  6. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    $200 seems to be the going rate. I got mine for $169.99 on Amazon.com a week or two ago when they had one of those daily deals going, but I think it's back up to $199.99 now. If you aren't in a hurry and wanna save $30, keep an eye on Amazon to see if it goes on sale again.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the first guys that had it happen had a teather but didn't notice it for a few bumps and it ended up smashed to bits but still dangling form the teather. Not a good back up, only takes one bang on the screen and it is toast.
  8. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks...
  9. brewmann

brewmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2 of them. The Touratech mount is the way to go. I watched one of them pop out of the RAM mount and proceed to find it's way under my back tire. I usually put a zip-ty around it but happened to forget that time.

In case your wondering, Garmin charges a flat rate of $110 to "refurbish" it. :(:
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Failproof 76 in RAM mount is much cheaper.
  11. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, that'd be the route I would go.
  12. brewmann

brewmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 76 is back tire proof ??
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Won't pop out and if it does wont break off antenna but not sure about rear tire.
  14. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    to throw something into the mix, someone here ahas a Garmin Quest 2 for sale for 150$ with all the accessories. How do these stack up to the 60CSX or the 76CSX?
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great if it includes 9 Twentys in the package.

Quest is useless off-road, no track features, it is a street unit for socker moms.

60/76 is the gold standard for off-road period.
  16. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    well all righty then...... so the 60CSX sounds like the deal?????? OR A 76 csx????
  17. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    The 76 is favored slightly over the 60, due to its case design being easier to anchor securely in an inexpensive RAM mount. Their gps capabilities are identical.

(I use a 60CSx and haven't had it run over or smashed to bits, yet :D )
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i choose the 60 because i like the control button on the bottom closer to me to use. with control buttons on the top you are covering the screen when you use the gps. some like that but it made zero sense to me.

i added some gorilla duct tape inside my 60 ram mount and it's rock solid.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but totally false. Not one 76 owner has ever said switches above screen is not better. First if you are looking at screen and pushing buttons and riding at the same time, I would like to buy some life insurance on you.

Second most people's arms come out of their shoulders not from the center of their chest.

Third, about half the time I use my thumbs with fingers under back as I am trying to look like all the kids texting theri friends while driving dad's car.
  20. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    what does the "C", "S, and "X" mean? Does the 76 come with these designations also?