1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Question for EXC530 owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OUTsane, Aug 7, 2010.

1. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm thinking about getting myself a 530 and I keep hearing all sorts of contradictory statements about maintenance and reliability. One guy says change the oil at 20hrs one says 10hrs another says 15, I've heard 600mi and 1000mi(with HT oil cooler), one guy even said 5hrs, I'm wondering what to believe. I'm not gonna be constantly wringing it out, I wanna race at some point in the future, but for now it's mostly gonna be trails, twisties(I have a motard already, DRZ, but I doubt I'd be able to resist getting a set of 17's for this thing too), fire roads(if I can find any), and an occasional commute to work(22mins) or trip to a friends house, oh and I wanna try ice riding.

I'm planning on using the DRZ for the longer paved stuff, and most of the more boring commutes, but if I'm honest with myself I know I won't be able to resist taking the 530 out every chance I got. So, my question is, if I got an HT oil cooler, radiator fan, and one of those Scotts SS reusable oil filters, would it be safe to go 1000mi? I wouldn't mind doing the oil every 3-4 weeks, 800-1000mi, or 20-25hrs, which ever comes first.

Oh, it's a 2010 Champions Edition by the way.

2. Billy.B.F.

Billy.B.F. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Factory intervals for oil changes are 15hrs. Engine takes 600ml (including a filter), gearbox takes 900ml.

I do my engine oil every 7.5hrs, engine oil filter every 15hrs and gearbox oil every 15hrs.

With dualsport use, and additional capacity you could extend the intervals - 20-25hrs doesn't seems unreasonable.

FYI valve clearances are supposed to be checked every 15hrs too - but you could bump this out to 20-25hrs with easier use.
    Don't get too hung up on the need to do the valves - mine took 30mins today, including the time it took to get the bke unlocked and out of the shed and back in and locked up (timed myself :evil ).

PS oil changes are a 5-10 minute job.

Also, it might be worth considering a cush hub for your described use.
  3. Indo2002

Indo2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simple answer - its a race bike. So it will require regular maintenance. But its no big deal. Mine gets a regular thrashing. Change the air filter when its dirty, engine oil every 15hrs as per the manual.

If you ride lots of slow snot you'll probably need the fan and the alternator/regulator upgrade. Or buy a KTM200 2T instead, you'll enjoy it more!

Maintenance is simple, but there have been irregular issues with these motors, mine included. I would offer the opinion that its not a bike for the mechanically challenged.

Have a read at the KTMtalk forum.

Cheers
  4. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!

My gut says go for it, but my mind keeps getting in the way with all the crap people keep saying they've had to deal with. It's probably only a small percentage of owners that have had issues though, I guess.

At this point I'd like to get 20-25hrs, but who knows, I might not mind doing it at 15hrs. I would change the oil before and after any sort of track day or race, so it's just the light use/screwin' around kinda stuff that I want to extend the intervals for. Does the gearbox oil really degrade that fast? Oh, and how many hours/miles are people getting out of these engines before a rebuild is needed?

The other bike I'm considering is the 690 Enduro R, and to a lesser extent the WR250R, but I don't think either would do that well when I start racing. A 2t would be cool, but they're hard to get plated around here... at least that's what I've heard.

What would a cush hub cost, and where can I find one?
  5. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Here's what I did, to simplify, and round the numbers out a bit:

Every 15 hours, I drain the engine oil, and re-fill with fresh oil. 10 hours after that, I do a full service (all oil, filters, etc). That way a full service is done every 25 hours, but at least the engine oil gets a flush in between.

My 2009 has 75 hours on it, so I just completed my third full service, but this time I skipped the valve check, because they have not changed at all, in 1,800 miles. I'll check them at 100 hours, or if the bike starts acting funny.

Tranny fluid was cloudy the first two changes, this time it was perfectly clean. My bike does use a bit of oil, as some other folks have also reported - roughly 50ml per 200 miles, or so...

Great bike though, love it. Fantastic for riding with the kids, and capable of 70mph for an hour of freeway riding, before you start to get pretty sore :-)

In my opinion, more than an hour at 70 on the freeway should call for a different bike. Highways and dirt are an entirely different story...

[​IMG]
  6. Mo-Tarded

Mo-Tarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want one... I've got to do something when I'm not riding, so why not wrench ? ~ shrug ~

...and I'm not ever thinking about an oil change every other day if I go out for a week of casual riding (4 hours/day). Maybe every 20-30 hours at best.
  7. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna go for it!

I'm not too worried about the valves anymore, Skully over on SMJ told me he's gone 2000mi on his without the valves needing adjustment. I'll check them, I'm just not too worried about them.

Mo-Tarded, how often do you do the oil on that CFR in your sig?

I think I'm gonna call up my dealer in the next few days and see if I can get things rolling. :thumb
  8. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My garage, what does it tell you?

Go for it man! They are awesome bikes!

Attached Files:

9. Off the grid

Off the grid Morally flexible Supporter

Oddometer:
    This weekend I did the Hancock Quarry run, a NE Dual Sport ride with over 500 riders.

At least 70% or greater amount of the bikes were orange.

Think about it. :deal
    (best bike I ever bought, and if the maintenance was 2x as much as it is now I would STILL own one)
  10. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Keep us posted!
  11. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an '07 525 EXC and change oil at 4~6 hours of racing or crazy trail use and at 1,000 miles of dual sport use. I have the HT Racing oil cooler so this engine (engine & tranny share oil) is bumped from 1,200c.c. to 1,700c.c. of oil and it runs cooler. The HT cooler is highly recommended. My cooler seeps some so it is messy after a while in the dirt.

I have the cush hub. Any '02-'05 LC4 hub & backing plate will work. However, since I vary my engine speed a lot, never peg the engine and do not drone along on the freeway at 70 I really do not feel that the cush hub is necessary if you will be doing much the same kind of riding.

Reliability? I found a couple of fasteners loose once. Does that count?

Stu
  12. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Cool, I saw some pics of the ride on another thread. One of my friends went. I'd like to do it next year.
  13. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear! :thumb
  14. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I've been meaning to get some of this for my DRZ and car: http://www.engineice.cc/dirt_main.html I thing it would be a good idea for the 530 also. It says it can lower temps by up to 50 degrees.
  15. Stu

Oddometer:
    Most water cooled dirt bike engines are designed to run at about 90 degrees Centigrade, plus or minus a few degrees. If you run up deep sand washes for miles at slow speeds you will exceed this. However, the water cooling is only partly responsible for keeping temperatures in check. Evans, for example, the coolant I run, has a higher boiling point and the engine runs hotter as a result in extreme situations. The oil, on the other hand, carries about 65% of the heat away from the cylinder & piston. If the oil pump isn't leaking around its internal cover, reducing pressure to the oil jet squirting on the bottom of the piston (a real possibility) your engine temperatures would be better controlled by the addition of an oil cooler. Just put a recovery bottle on the radiator's overflow tube (I made one for $8 worth of parts and a Nalgene 3 oz. bottle) to catch any overflow so that it can be sucked back into the radiator when the engine cools down. That should do for most hot riding situations. If you run a lot of heat producing terrain then by all means install the HT Racing oil cooler.

Stu
  16. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HT racing make junk and the guys who run it are liars, better go to CPW in Ozz for a 530 oil cooler.
  17. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open invitation, come ride mine. I'll bet that'll help you make a decision right quick!

[​IMG]
  18. Stu

Oddometer:
    I see you are a follower of the methods of mathematical proofs: you sacrifice everything to make your claim both short and clever. Without cant and rant this would be a very boring thread I suppose. Or is your purpose to get this thread banished to Jo Momma?

Stu
  19. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Sorry, 50 degrees Fahrenheit, so what 30 Celsius? That's what it says on their site anyway.

Do you have a pic of your recovery bottle?
  20. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    That's a great shot, I love the background, is that from around here? When would be a good time to come over?