Question for the Boulder, CO inmates among us.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Jmarkwolf, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the mid 1970's, when I first got out of high school, I spent some time in Boulder. My favorite weekend thing to do was to ride my Yamaha DT360 in the mountains between Boulder and Nederland, taking any dirt road I could find along 119.

On one of these adventures, I encountered a wide spot in the canyon, along a paved road, dunno which road, but the dominant feature was a flat grassy maintained area, approximately half the size of a football field, surrounded by a tall "keep out" fence. Suspended approximately 10ft above the grassy area was a system of wires, on a roughly 10ft by 10ft grid. There was a small red brick municipal looking building at one end of the field. I don't recall any parking area for vehicles, and I don't recall any signage, although there may well have been some. It didn't resemble any power substation I've ever seen.

I encountered this place more than once while on my weekend rides. One time I decided to stop and take a breather right outside the fence. I was very surprised to hear a low, short, but distinct hum coming from the suspended wires (presumably). The hum would last a couple seconds, then stop, and repeat every 15 seconds or so.

Over the years I've always wondered what that place was. I would wonder if it was for oil exploration, but it was a permanent facility. I would think that oil exploration equipment would be mobile. Someone suggested it was a ultra low frequency facility for communicating with US submarines. I'd read that such places existed in the Rocky Mountains.

I don't think it was a secret military facility because the road went right past, within yards if not feet, with not a guard in sight.

I've tried to find it on Mapquest, but no luck. I simply don't recall how far I would range along 119.

Can any locals in the area advise if this place still exists and what the heck it was/is?
  2. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what it is but the Department of Commerce, had a Wave Propagation Lab north of Boulder. I worked there in the mid to late 70s. The DOC WPL was doing some cool research. These are the guy who developed Doppler Weather Radar. They were doing some cool stuff. The projects I worked were testing to see how well we could measure wind sheer with either lasers or acoustics. They also had remote sites all over the front range.
  3. 60wag

60wag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Marshall Field Site https://ral.ucar.edu/projects/marshall-field-site is not far from my house south of Boulder. It's loaded with all sorts of strange looking instruments. They claim its weather related research but we all know they're working on remote mind control :)
  4. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response guys, but this place was west of Boulder, in the mountains.
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Well, there are a lot of remote minds in Boulder...
  6. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    IIRC, that was up Four Mile Canyon past Wall Street, and I think the last time I remember seeing it was the late ‘80’s or early ‘90’s. I’m pretty sure it’s gone now:

IMG_0082.JPG
  7. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know what it was?
  8. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did it look anything like this ....................................................... :brow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

This is a commercial hops growing operation support system .......................................... BUT without any hops vines growing on it yet.
    It's basically a gridwork of cables and supports that is about 14'-18' off the ground.

It will make some low frequency noises when the wind is blowing through the cables ........... but not intermittently like you mentioned.

Think your "mystery site" might have been something like this? :dunno :scratch
    Maybe an experimental hops grow site for Coors?

RD
  9. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It did resemble that, but it was deep in a narrow canyon. Not much sunlight.

I remember the humming being periodic, not random like wind would produce, but after 45 years I may be mis-remembering.

Interesting none the less.
  10. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    IIRC, that was past Wall Street up Four Mile Canyon. I remember it in the '80's- early '90's, but I think it's long
    No, it was definitely some sort of antenna installation (though it did resemble the above) because it had a sign with "US Dept of Commerce" on it, same as Table Mountain north of town.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Not a clue. I imagine I know some people around here who might, but I'd have to think on that.