Question for the Gang

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mark sumner, Jun 14, 2019.

1. mark sumner

mark sumner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On May 31st I was riding my brand new GS all options 350 miles, when two deer dashed out to n front of me. No time todo anything but say hello “oh shit.”

I woke up in the trauma unit with a collapsed lung, nine broken ribs, broken clavicle, wound on thigh. I was wearing leather and helmet. I won’t be riding for awhile if ever.

The bike had $6800 damage and is at the dealer. All new parts so the service manager assures me that it will be as new cosmetically and mechanically. I want to sell it but my question is what is it worth? I think I paid about $22,000 and I bought some extras like a Remus can. All ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  2. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, damn, I'm very sorry to hear you were injured, but glad you're safe. I ride a lot in your area. I wouldn't sell it myself, but I think asking your dealer what it is worth is the best bet. They'll be honest about what you can sell it for yourself vs. trade. Being brand new, only the dealers will have a remote clue what it would be worth. Given it's been in a deer collision, it's going to be worth less I'm sure.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Man, sorry to hear about your accident.. many of us have definitely been in your shoes before.. hope u heal well and quickly... so you can get back to riding; which is what you really need to do... dont let this one accident take away your passion for riding.

With that said, you're gonna take a big hit when u do sell it... normally, you'll be taking about $4k hit when selling a non accident /prestine bike already..more if you trade it in to a dealership.... $5k-$6k maybe...

I would guess even if it has been repaired to spec, it'll add another $4k in loss value.

No ones to buy a bike thats been in a crash unless there was a substantial savings upside to it..

So if you bought it for $22k and sold it at the moment for $19k -$18k without the accident, i would guess $16-$15k w/ the accident /tainted car fax history.... in general also, you wont get but 20-40 cent to dollar for your.. upgrades..

I think you should just keep her, will give u incentive to heal quicker.. also, pick up a rifle and go hunting once you are strong enough.. maybe a little payback coming toward ya!! Lol
  4. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tasty, tasty payback.
    SmittyBlackstone and F16Viper68 like this.
  5. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all, glad you're alive and hope you heal fast.

I would ask the sales manager where your ride is being repaired at and ask him if he would be willing to sell it on consignment. He might come up with a figure that both of you might agree upon. Some dealers are motivated because they can potentially make additional money via BMW financing and your ride is not part of their inventory cost. Secondly, you don't have to advertise, deal with buyers or hassle with negotiations during your recovery.
  6. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am so sorry to hear about your accident and wish you a speedy recovery!

Deer scare the hell out of me! I had a close call the other evening myself. May I ask what time of day we’re you riding? I am growing increasingly skiddish about riding at dusk in the mountains due to deer.

Do any of you have deer whistles? Do they even work? Is there anything that works for deer avoidance other than not riding?
  7. jogo

jogo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So sorry for you. Just reading that hurts and makes one stop and think.
    Can't comment on the bike but wish you all the best for a quick recovery.
  8. mark sumner

Oddometer:
    11:30AM
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I meant to ask, did you hit the deer head on or crashed because of avoiding it?

I crashed straight into 3 dali sheep in the Yukon once, fell off and sprang left ankle..

then in the Himalayas, I t-boned a goat and bike stayed up..

Both times slowing down from 60+ enough to hit them at about 35-40mph..

I didnt meant to on both occasions, my reaction time not quick enough to whip around.. i seem to get the oh shit and hang on response..

but I wonder if its safer to plow into them straight on and let them absorb the blow rather than doing some risky avoidance manuver that might cause you to crash into a ditch or worse..over a mountain cliff..

The guys around here call me the BeastMaster on account of so many wild life I have crashed into..
  10. mark sumner

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the good advise and sympathy. And eat venison.
    SmittyBlackstone and side-burn like this.
  11. HikerDoc

HikerDoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am so sorry to hear this. Get better soon. Deer are terrifying.

I understand the instinct to get rid of the bike. With how much of a resale hit I think you will take I would consider just sitting on it for 6 months to a year. If you still want to sell it then do so at that point. It would be much more expensive to take the loss and then decide to buy a new one.

Best of luck.
    Rockred and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    You're gonna be losing some doe to be sure. But I'm sure someone will come along and fawn all over your repaired bike. $16,000 bucks would be a fair price since your wrencher says it'll be mechanically and cosmetically sound. Hope your recovery goes swell. Stay active so you don't get in a rut. Resist the urge to quit riding. You can get chronic wasting disease if you give it up entirely. There's always riding OFF road. Deer much prefer to collide with vehicles on highways rather than trails.
  13. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang, I would not have thought that to be a high risk time of day.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Despite the super low miles, it is a used bike that was in an accident. I would not expect more than $17K for it, assuming a 2019 R1250GS with all available options.

Bummer on the accident, I hope you heal quickly.
  15. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The extras you put on if in good condition can be taken off and sold in the flea market here for probably 60-75 percent of new,rather than the low $ the dealer would offer you.

Question,was this all cosmetic damage,no frame damage?.
    Is this now reported to DMV and has a wreck/salvage/branded title?
    If all cosmetic and restored and clean title,then be honest and list it here in the flea market for a reasonable price,it will likely sell fast,as it is now prime riding season.

JR356
  16. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with those who've suggested that you give it time. Take the time to get yourself healed and look at it then with a different perspective. You may just be thankful when that time comes that your bike is still in the garage and just as pristine as it was before the accident. Only thing you can do right now by moving it is take the loss. If you're situation lets you sit on it's not a burden then you've got time on your side to get strong again and decide later if it's what you really want to do.
  17. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    First, sorry to hear about your get-off - glad that you've survived to tell the story and it looks like that, although I'm not a Dr, you can and will recover well as if nothing ever happened!! Bones all heal, some slower some faster - get well, get well soon, we wish you to get well!! Be grateful and thankful that you had your gear on as you could have been worse had you not...

If I may, I'd suggest that you direct all of your positive energy towards your recovery without overthinking nor overanalyzing anything else related to your get-off - your well being comes first and all else incl. your bike is irrelevant at the moment!! :deal

Once you recover, then you can start making more rational decisions about what to do with riding and/or bike... I don't think that you should give up either riding or bike but you'll have to reach that decision by yourself...

If you must muse about the value of the bike (although I think you should forget about it for now while the bike is put on back to pre-get-off condition), you could take a look at what demo bikes are going for value-wise, since yours is somewhat "demo", then deduct a % for being involved in an accident... Being so new though, it may be worth your while to hold on it until later date after you've recovered. You may find out that you missed riding and that you'll continue to ride so why not keeping the bike then and carry on with it!

Wishing you speedy recovery and to remain positive!! :D

:thumb
    Massabusa and SmittyBlackstone like this.