Question for the hard of hearing

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Deans BMW, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Too many years of Riding, Shooting and Flying has caused an understanding speech issue on the TV. The volume is plenty loud, I can hear everything else but speech is plenty loud however the enunciation is hard to discern. When plugging in to the TV or Sound Bar with a little RCA plug, the TV sound cuts off.

Need something like a bluetooth head phone that does not switch off the sound for everyone else.

Any suggestions from the brain trust..............
  2. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hearing aids.
    sieg, SmittyBlackstone and BigMac75 like this.
  3. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    When my dad's hearing went south, he turned the closed captioning option on to help him understand what was going on. That way he didn't need the volume on high.
    trumpet, KevinP65, sieg and 5 others like this.
  4. Toytec

Toytec Let's ride

Oddometer:
    I do the same thing :ear Helps alot.
    trumpet, scottdc and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    Close captioning if I’m having a hard time with dialogue. Sometimes it’s the sound editing as well.
    My Roku box works with a Roku phone app which lets me listen thru headphones vis my phone. I can watch while the wife works at her desk without hearing “Will you turn that down!”
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the TV design. Check in the TV settings to see if you can keep the speakers on. Usually plugging into RCA plugs does not affect the TV sound automatically like that.
    I have a set of wireless headphones that plug into the RCA jacks. The TV sound stays on plus the sound it transmitted to the headphones.
    MacNoob and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of blue tooth headphones that have their own volume control, and like worwig says they don’t automatically shut off the sound from the tv.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. longwaypyder

longwaypyder Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ours as well do not disable the speakers when plugged in. A boon for my wife, along with closed captioning.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard of hearing?...... (Laughs in tanker)

Actually I hear pretty good.... all day, all night.... a nice multi-pitch "wEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE". As I get older, the volume seems to get louder, but at least it drowns out the voices in my head..LOL :smile6

z-10Pictures.jpg
  11. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    In many "smart" TVs, whether or not using the headphone jack shuts off the internal speakers is a setting you can turn off and on. The primary use is feeding external speakers to reinforce the sound without disabling the built-in speakers.

As mentioned above, you might also be able to use a different output (RCA, optical) if this is hard wired on your TV.
  12. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get your head examined! Seriously you have a hearing problem and a visit to an audiologist is in order. Been there done that. You will be surprised the difference hearing aids will make. If you have a Costco in your area that would be my recommendation.
    KevinP65, NorthIdaho800gsa and sieg like this.
  13. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Actually, good advise Rail.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.
  14. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had hearing aids for 25 years, the new ones I got a couple months ago are so great compared to just my 5 year old set. GET SOME DAM HEARING AIDS!

If your eyes were bad would you be looking for a giant magnifying glass for the TV screen, no you'd get glasses. So...……...
  15. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    I can definitely say that closed captioning is the way to go. At first it’s distracting, but soon you get a hang of reading the dialogue with just a quick glance. My family squawked about the captioning, but after a while, they came to realize how much dialogue they were missing, even though their hearing is just fine. They started using CC, annoying their friends, who came realize what THEY were missing...
  16. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody had to:

Boxa, Toytec and MacG like this.
  17. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the above. That said, the Kirkland Signature 9 hearing aids I got at Costco in September are infinitely better than the KS 5s I got in 2013, and have made a world of difference. I can understand most dialogue in movies now, and that includes the British B-movies we like to watch. The regional dialects that crop up in those movies can be challenging, even with good hearing. I've been very happy with the Costco hearing aid experience. All the people I've dealt with have seemed to be well-trained and thorough, and the aids have the latest technology at a significantly discounted price.
    worwig likes this.
  18. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    2 friends of mine have Bluetooth hearing aids. Actually pretty cool. only thing that bugs me is when they are on the phone. Because you have no idea if they are talking to you or the phone...lol. everything goes right to them, pretty cool.
  19. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    My hearing is screwed up.
    Years of bikes, power tools, loud music.
    It has layer waste to the middle range of my hearing.
    Conversations in a loud restaurant? Nope. I don't understand a thing.
    But, if I put earplugs in, like the foam jobs, the it cuts enough of the background noise down I can hear and understand what people are saying.

I've moved to using BT headphones when I am workin on my computer or watching stuff on my tablet.
    It makes it very easy to block out extra noise. I don't watch TV, but for like 1/2 an hour every couple of weeks.
  20. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Likewise, that has been my experience with Costco. With the new Bluetooth hearing aids, I can play music into them from your phone without anyone noticing. A friend says he uses that feature in church:D