Question for the Utah/Colo. Riders

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jocflier, Mar 31, 2002.

1. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all..

April riding in and around your area..Was checking the weather site today and saw that the lows around the National park area are in the 20's at night..Camping is not a problem with my gear.

But my real concern is the roads..Would it be one of those things where i would get up in the morning and have to hang around camp untill 10:00 before i could start out without the problem of ice..

Should i give it a few months before maybe coming out to ride, or is April or May good months? Thanks for any information..

Joc
  2. supercreep

supercreep _______________

Oddometer:
    what elevation are you talking (thinking) about?
  3. eric_the_bald

eric_the_bald Gnome

Oddometer:
    Joc,

"...saw that the lows around the National park area are in the 20's at night.."

If you're talking Rocky Mt. National Park, that road is not often open to anything before Memorial Day. Remember, Trail Ridge Rd tops out at 12, 185.
    Ice & snow in the high country are not unusual in the shade through April. Really does matter what route you have in mind.
  4. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys..

I guess i will need to give this a little more thought and rescearch..I understand the question was a little broad..I was really more in line of seeing Zion and arches, Bryce..ect..Let me get back to you all with a little more information so that you can help me better..

thanks again...Joc
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, that sounds like a good ride, can I come along?
  6. four-up

four-up Distracted

Oddometer:
    Zion's, Canyonlands, Arches, Bridges, Powell, and Capitol Reef are perfect in April. Bryce is much higher, but unless there's a storm, the roads should be dry and ice-free, thanks to all that salt we dump on them here. One caveat- warm days in the higher elevations get the snow melting pretty fast, but it still freezes every night. Keep your eyes peeled for rock-fall. Our signs are pretty good, but any area with snow above a rock band or highway "cut" is a candidate. The same areas can pool water on the side of the road from rapidly melting snow, which can run onto the road, then freeze at night. It may look wet in the morning, and even be wet on top, but can make for a nasty icey patch. Sounds fun. I might be in St. George myself this weekend. Let me know when you're passing through.
  7. eric_the_bald

eric_the_bald Gnome

Oddometer:
    Jocifer,
    4-up hit the nail on the head. April is THE time of year for Moab & south.
    If you wait just a bit, you might want to look into adding the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, depending on the spring snows.

I found hot days & very chilly mornings in June a couple years ago.

Did I mention I was jealous ??