Question for you single guys, or former single guys.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jamie Z, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what to do about properly dressing the ladies on the back of your bike?

I'm not Don Juan, but I've had a handful of opportunities to have a friend or date on the back, anywhere from around the block to a afternoon ride. Of course, none of them have their own gear, so it's up to me to provide the right equipment.

How can I have extra gear for someone I haven't yet met? Do you wait until you meet the right one and then buy her the gear? Do you choose which size you like, buy that gear, and date only women that size?

Do you buy large gear and tell the small girls just to cinch it up?

Jamie
  2. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    You get gear sized for a lady you would like. Then you audition women, tell them you are a prince looking for someone to fit the gear, and the first woman it fits can ride with you. Repeat as necessary.
  3. Hollow

Hollow Newbie Fucktard

Oddometer:
    Wrap them in a one-size-fits-all 20x20 canvas tarp
  4. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just get rid of the passenger pegs on my my bikes. :lol3

No. Seriously. I do.
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I put them in my own gear. I have extra for myself. I usually wear my smelly and beaten up Rally Pro jacket.

This is how the conversation goes:

Here. You need to wear this. It's my summer jacket and it has a rain liner. Feel the padded shoulders? And the back protector? And the padded elbows?

We're going to crash?

No. This is so we don't crash. Here's a helmet for you. I bought it for my daughters. It should fit you. If it's a little big, that's ok.

(Then I get to demonstrate how the flip-lid works.)

I have an extra pair of leather gloves from aerostich. Just like mine, but a size smaller.

For pants, I have extra- one is actually mine, one is a little small. They never want to wear the pants. Once in a while I get them to. If they're wearing jeans, I let them get away with it. I do not let them on in shorts. I never wear my Rally Pro pants around town- just my Dariens. My older riding pants aren't as solid as the Dariens, but they fit in the side case better, and they're more comfortable for women.

As for foot-wear, I'm happy if they have any kind of shoes.

I would not suggest that you buy gear for someone until they're living with you and it's, like, for real.

Now I'm reminded that you're supposed to be presenting your findings at the rally in Colorado in August.
  6. ylexot

ylexot Super Genius

Oddometer:
    That's what I did.
  7. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Even better, buy her a bike and gear... I got lucky with the second wife..she loves riding!...

Prior to that, I usually had a few helmets in various sizes... and extra gear...
  8. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    Get an average size helmet, size a few at a local shop with the chicks that work there. Don't spend too much, a decent HJC won't cost much. Make sure they wear shoes if they want to go for a ride. Then tell them to put gas in your tank! :D
  9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    I bought a small helmet and gloves for this. I have a smaller (40R) 'stich that i keep around for exactly those occassions when a ladyfriend wants to go on a ride (always a good sign, btw). It cinches down to fit most ladies (small sample size here, like 4). I ask them to wear over the ankle boots. So far it has worked pretty well except that they complain they look like smurfs.
  10. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Well, I am of the opinion that one can never have too much gear, too much food -- and of course, there are only two measures of Adult Beverages -- Not Enough Whisky, and Too Much Gin.

But Seriously.

My darlin', after two years of coaxing, has finally decided that she will dare to ride pillion. I bought her a decent half-helmet at www.jafrum.com, and a good leather jacket with armor. All told, less than $100 bucks. I'd prefer to see her in a full or at least a three-quarter helmet, but there are always HAIR issues to face. She has several fashion leather jackets, none of which would last ten feet skidding on the Tarmac. When placing a rider on the back, it's always good to quote the boys who fly the big Jets: "In the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event of a Tarmac landing. . ."

I get sneered at by the 1 percenters, because I'd rather sweat my arse off in armored leather than eat Jello in hospital. I've been down on everything fron Schwinn Stingrays to airplanes. Yes, I ride a scooter (ok, it's an Italian Maxi Scooter with SACK. I don't have nothing to prove to y'all anyway.) I never thought of two wheels as a particular Babe Magnet. Most gals would rather listen to the MP3 and turn up the AC. . . (Present company, stout adventureresses all excluded.)

But, if you wish to spark up the dating:

Get some decent small and medium textile or mesh jackets and a small and medium helmet. If you wear a large+ and you go in for brainy ladies, she can wear your smelly, funky spare. Go off to Wally World and get some pairs of medium sized garden gloves with leather palms. They ain't racing gear, but are astoundingly tough and cheap. Learn and rehearse the shoe lecture. Search this site if you want to know how flip-flops, heels, and the many other types of less-than-adequate footgear can hurt even in a minor spill (or with a wrongly placed foot at a stoplight.)

You're wrigglin' now? Well, boy-0, you can get through this for about $200, and yard-sale the balance after the marriage. I KNOW you've spent more than that on a HOT date. If you haven't, I don't want to know you.

Dr.
  11. klinquist

klinquist ├╝bergeek

Oddometer:
    More of what others said. I got a HJC helmet and jacket and gloves in average women's sizes (bought them when I was dating a girl that I wanted to take on the bike with me. Things didn't last with her, but the gear was then worn by many women thereafter :)). Made them wear jeans and hiking boots as well. When I got with my now wife, we went out and bought pants and real boots. The jacket/helmet/gloves fit her fine :).

...and now she's taking MSF later this summer (her decision, I am very careful not to push anyone into riding due to the dangers).
  12. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    Buying clothing for her that is no bigger than what you are looking for prevents the dreaded fat chick problem that plagues our society.

If she don't fit she's not my type.
  13. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Bravo, Bingo, and right freakin on! Well said, mate!! :thumb
  14. pdoege

pdoege Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +!

15. Walt-FL

Walt-FL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They typically tend to pack on some weight after you got married, so eventually you are going to have to dish out more money for new, decent gear anyway.

Thus, for dating buy a cheap HLC in small and for gloves, rainpants etc. go with the cheapest Joe Rocket shit out there, preferably in pink. With jackets go for sizes 8-10 (M). This will fit both size 6 women as well as those needing a size 12. Just pass on size 4 chicks. Everything above size 14 is going to be kind of hard on the bike anyway.
  16. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    My Gal ain't fat -- she's red hot and can pass for 30 even though she cradle-robbed when gettin me. The MATH will be LEFT to the STUDENT. To hell with jacket sizes, take a dekko at the family portraits on her vanity table. You can't rent good breeding -- and you can't get it at your dry-cleaners, either.

A Ural with a chair will haul tonnage, if you misjudge. . .

"All death is certain."

Dr.
  17. mafpolo

mafpolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put her in a pair of YOUR jeans & YOUR t-shirt. Then add a pair of YOUR prot. pants and one of YOUR jackets

The jeans and t-shirt thing is a good sorting system.......if they don't have theirs on & won't wear yours..SEND THEM HOME.

Don't buy "their" gear to keep around....no damn woman wants to wear what some other woman has worn, and they definitely want to think they're special...i.e. you haven't done this with anyone else.

Go buy a book, seek sage advice. do something. This question shouldn't need to be asked.

p.s. Good luck.....nothing like a motorcycle to get you laid.
  18. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    The single guys at work keep borrowing my wife's jacket and gloves. I'm happy to loan it to them as long as the girl is hot....
  19. biscuit

biscuit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI - The girls you want are the ones who are dying for a reason to wear tight black leather to a little league game. My god man, go with the flow and try a few out. Keep the one that is treated with open hostility by the other moms.
  20. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Lol. Years ago I dated a tall blonde. When I told her I had a red motorcycle, she showed up in red stilletto-heeled boots - she said she'd always wanted an excuse to wear them. She probably caused several accidents.