Question: How long from Vancouver to Whistler?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ofrogg, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ofrogg

ofrogg the grey R1200GS frog

Oddometer:
    Google maps says 2.25 hours! it's only 120 km, no?
  2. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Hour to an hour and a half. There's some major reconstruction going on right now and for the next couple of years so that 2.5 hours might not be too far off on a bad day.
  3. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    How does one avoid a "bad day"
  4. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Haven't been on that road for a while. It doesn't get interesting until after Whistler. Past Pemberton, it gets fairly rough. Perfect place for an Adventure bike to blow by sport bikes.

Rumour has it, according to a local forum, that the Cops were using a helicopter earlier this week to catch bikes. Stuff like giving all 12 bikers in a group, speeding tickets etc. There's been too many rookies riding that road on a regular basis the last couple of years. A few deaths also.

At one time, it was best to go up there early in the morning. Not sure about now. If you want to kill a whole day, you could ride up to Pemberton/Mt. Curry Indian reserve and then take West side Harrison road back to just west of Harrison Hot Springs. Logging road all the way with some nice sights and a decent pub where you come out onto pavement called the Sasquatch Inn.
  5. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    Dang it... I'm on an ST, not a GS

:(:

And ultimately, I'm looking to get from Vancouver to Golden, then back down into Montana, etc..., and home to Colorado in about 5 days...
  6. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    Will do, thanks.

Any tips for easy camping after a day from Vancouver? I don't think I'll be aiming for Golden in a day as originally planned...
  7. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    http://www.toadrockcampground.com/
  8. canuck

canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That timing is about right. Maybe closer to 2 hours. The construction delays are not that bad. Duffy Lake road is fun for sure. Remember that you are in prime deer country up there and you are a LONG way from any medical treatment. No cell phone either.

Lots of places to camp so no worries.

Any other questions let me know. I am in Van if you want to get together for a map reading/beer session

canuck
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
  10. Sixgill

Sixgill Hackaholic

Oddometer:
    Took us 1hr 30min to get from the horseshoebay ferry terminal in west van to Pemberton which is north of whistler. That was riding Dualsport 650cc bikes with a medium load. If its your first trip im sure you could easily add 30min to 1hour of stops for photo ops etc.

Duffy Lake section which takes you from Pemberton to Lillooet is a great road!

Depending on where you are heading after lillooet there are other options which will give you more bike friendly ride.

Feel free to PM me with ant questions.
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Avoid weekends! All the yuppies, newbies, and others congregate at Whistler to pretend they are cool, and spend double what everything is worth, and drive like loonies all the way up there in their supercharged hummers and expeditions.
    Aiming for Golden from Vancouver can certainly be done in a day, but not via Whistler/Pemberton/Lilloett. Nice route to take though. If you are on an ST, be aware that the 'Duffy' road is rough, dust in most corners, and if you go off the road, they may never find you, it's that remote. There are some decreasing radius corners that are unmarked. Watch for the cops from West Vancouver to at least Whistler. Once past Pemberton, it should be clear, except don't speed too much through the village of Mt. Currie, the 'natives' will literally throw stones at you.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  12. mayday

mayday Stromer

Oddometer:
    Don't get the wrong impression though, when they say "rough" it's not unpaved, or anything, just an older mountain road with many frost heaves, potholes and low shoulders.
    Was up there last week and still is plenty of gravel on some corners where the RV's swing wide.
    Vanc. - Squamish 1hr, Squamish - Whistler 35min, Whistler - Pemberton 35min
    Let me know if you need anymore times as I head up that way quite often to clear the mind and burn some gas :D
  13. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    Awesome folks, I really appreciate all the input!
  14. Conner

Conner CodeNameChuck

Oddometer:
    We made it through last year on the way to the Cassier no problem, but rumor has it nails on the road causes lots of flat tires. Great trip though.

Conner in Sacramento
  15. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    For real? Between Vancouver and Kamloops?
  16. mayday

mayday Stromer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that little "rumour" ; busy, paved road with lots of traffic, nails wouldn't last long
  17. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One hour around midnight WFO. Missed some good views got some sweet turns.
  18. canuck

canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never heard of the nails on the road rumour. I have been up and down that road so many times it's not funny. No nails have I seen or heard about.

It is a great road with to much traffic and construction due to the coming Olympics (2010) Having said that, it is one of the most popular bike roads in the Vancouver area.

Don't sweat it.

canuck