1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Questions about licensing and buying a bike in the UAE

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by ZimZima, May 24, 2010.

1. ZimZima

ZimZima Potential ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    I'll be flying out from Canada to Abu Dhabi (Al-Ain) this August on a two year contract. Have a few question about riding in the UAE:
    • How do go about getting a m/c license in Abu-Dhabi? Would I be able to hand in my Canadian license for a UAE license? Or would I need to go thru the licensing process from scratch?
    • As far as insurance goes, approximately how much should I expect to pay per month for a V-Strom 650? Would there be a huge difference if I were to go with a 600cc super sport instead (2005-ish)?
    • Do you need to pay for parking a motorcycle in the city center area? How tolerant are the authorities regarding parking on sidewalks (no blocking pedestrian traffic)?
    • Is filtering legal there?
    I know traffic is dangerous there, but I've survived riding in India for a while. Been riding in North America for over 10 years.

Any insight is appreciated :ear
  2. ghw

ghw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the first requirement will be your residence visa. only when this is done you can apply for a local driving license. Rules are changing frequently but i guess a Canadian License can be still transferred.
    Only with residence visa and local driving license you will be able to register a bike.

Bike insurances are available in two options. Third party only will cost around 600 AED (165 US) per year. Full comprehensive insurance is somewhere between 5 - 10 % of the value of the bike. having a new (local) license expect to be on the higher side of the insurance rate.

in general there's no difference when it comes to ccm, rates are based on the value (and a few other local criterieas).
    the type of bike will depend more on your riding interests. Sports bikes - straight highways only. Enduro - roads and off-road.
    i understood that you consider bringing a bike. remember that you have to pay 5% import tax. new bikes are cheaper here than in other parts of the word.
    the last few years the number of bikers has drastically increased and there always bargains available for used bikes (expats leaving).

There are no parking fees for bikes in the UAE, but a road toll is charged in Dubai (sheikh zayed road only).
    parking on the sidewalks? never got a fine but others did. you will never know here.

Danger in driving? i dont see it more dangerous then in many other parts of the world (riding 10 years in Dubai). idiots are everywhere.

Filtering? dont worry, the government filters eyerything for you.

to get more insight visit our homepage: www.uaeride.com
    www.dubaipetrolheads.com is more for street bikes.
    www.dubizzle.com best resources for second hand bikes.

PM if you need more info and/or contacts in Abu Dhabi.
  3. DesertSweeper

DesertSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ghw is on the money and puts it as it is. Aside from transport (and for at least 3 to 4 months of the year it is too hot to ride other than early morning) I have never been excited by the roads here. You have to travel for hours to find decent roads to play with and the cities are blanketed with speed cameras. I embraced off-road riding here 5 years back and must confess my road bikes are little used ever since...we have some great desert riding here - though the scene is stronger in Dubai then Abu Dhabi.

Not to my taste but the Harley scene is big here - a large contingent that seems well organised...

For transport an upright bike is a good idea I find - having both sports and sit-up. A friday (sunday) morning ride on the pocket rocket is about all she's ever used for...

Insurance wise try AXA - defintely one of the better companies here.
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to steal your thread, but I just wanted to see whether "DesertSweeper" ever got my PM?!? :ear