Questions about painting an 05 12GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Crimsongost, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Crimsongost

Crimsongost Anything but n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello all, Looking for some help from the collective wisdom. I have on 05 12GS that started off its life yellow. I am not a fan of yellow and bought a gray set of plastics almost immediately. I do ride off road so definitely not a garage queen. bought it 10/19 with 58k now 72k miles on the clock but I want to keep her a while. I am interested in having it plastics painted and the metal "knee pads" powder coated. Having never ventured down this road I don't know what I need or what it should cost or really what to ask. In regards to paint how many coats of clear coat make a difference? Is baked on paint better or just a gimmick? Should I do baked on with BMW plastics? Powder coating I know nothing about. How much roughly, How long does it take, How long will it last? Is there something I should be asking that I'm not?

Powder coating wheels? (Just thought to ask while I was typing)

I did a couple of searches but nothing like what I'm trying to find. If I'm looking in the wrong place please let me know.

Thanks
    Mitchell
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Colleen’s brother painted her black R1150GS Mandarin Yellow. He used automotive cellulose paint then rubbed it out and polished it. Applied regular temps in an open garage. It was so nice she won beauty contests with it at BMW National Rallies. No clear coat, just paint....about three coats after one coat of primer. We chose to paint the front under fender and starter cover...maybe some other parts....it REALLY stood out!
  3. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Powdercoat is for metal so you’re good on the side panels if that’s what you’re planning.
    Your GS has what, the beak and the tank plastics...paint is the way to go. Most paint shops will clear coat as much as it takes to bake in look good and be durable.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I don't believe there is any metal bodywork on this model.
  5. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only the Tank Trim panels covering the sides of the fuel tank are metal, #11 in the diagram

659A9DC1-CCF3-4D24-A21F-9E382480989A.png
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  6. Crimsongost

Oddometer:
    Yes both are metal one on the left and one on the right.
  7. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the wheels on the bike spoked? The ones on my own '05 Hexhead are. Unless that clear anodizing is flaking or has been compromised by improper chemical cleaners, the only reason to have the rims powdercoated would be aesthetic. For that, to each his own.

It's a 15 y/o bike... I'd probably just spray can the knee panels if you want them a different color. Aftermarket knee pads will cover up and/or protect a lot of the surface area too. Wrapping those panels with something like helicopter tape, or even cheap vinyl wrap, will protect them as well.

As for the paint, you could do worse than routine washes plus a couple of coats of wax. The concave angles on the beak make it hard to wrap in one piece, but I'm sure it can be made to look good from 10-15 ft. away.

For my own '05, I worry more about rubber & plastic degradation from age & heat cycles. The vinyl cover on my stock seats, for instance, is noticeably faded. My aftermarket seat is still fine, and I have a spare cover that I need to upholster onto the OE seat pans.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    That’s odd..all the 04/05/06 I have owned didn’t have metal sides. The microfiche shown is for later models. The 05 looks nothing like that.
  9. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    1200 ver., which weren't avail. in the U.S. as '04 models? FWIW, my own '05 looks just like that.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    4/5/6 look like this....all plastic no metal panel. A8D97792-D3D7-4008-A220-0A4E60614446.jpeg
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Your 05 does not match the microfiche shown.
  12. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, but the diagram above is functionally close to my '05 Hexhead. It's a difference in degree, but not meaningfully so. With respect to the bike pictured immediately above that has black painted (or perhaps anodized) knee panels, the ones on my bike differ only in that they are silver in color. Made out of aluminum they are, and I am certain of that.

My bike is a fairly early build date '05 model, and the larger, plastic panels that affix via BMW's overpriced quick-release fasteners are not the cool gray pictured above, but rather a flat black color. Other than aesthetic differences in color, what's pictured above is accurate.

According to Max's fiche, the metal panel in question is "10 46 63 7 727 273 TANK TRIM PANEL, LEFT - ALU NATUR", and they're hella-expensive. I know that they are made (stamped to be precise) out of metal because I mistakenly bent a tab on one of mine and had to bend that back into place to reattach to the bike (with torx screw). I'm no metal worker, but I am familiar enough with bending the stuff. Getting it back into suitable shape to mount back onto the bike was a slightly heavier lift, for me.
  13. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Here's the fiche image that applies to the '05 Hexhead, and part no. 10 is the one in question...

B0007673.png
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. That part is some kind of crap thin metal. On my gray bike above that is custom paint.
  15. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    A lot of vinyl wrapping going on out there
  16. Crimsongost

Oddometer:
    Yes the pic above is what I'm looking for. Any idea of price? Is powder coat better then paint? how well does vinyl hold up? I have read wrapping the side panels is difficult where the "GS" in imprinted in them.
  17. Crimsongost

Oddometer:
    TUCKERS do you know where rubber knee pads came from?
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I painted mine, many years ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paint the wheels too (R1200C):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Pads are Techspec....there is one on the back of the tank too. A little spendy but super nice.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    979EBE4E-957A-43EE-88B8-96F40D04AF7E.jpeg 04E074BC-90D4-42E5-B964-A8EF57D640DC.jpeg A3CE5794-4715-4A0F-B103-2044F016BA2D.jpeg I blacked out the metal panels with rattle can before installing the pads. The previously black side panels were color matched to the bike. I like these carbon fiber pieces off eBay.