Questions for cold weather riding

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Uncle Pollo, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang, he believes in making life difficult, doesn't he. :rofl
    We better not let him know how we're doing with the winter/snow riding or we'll soon see him up here, riding his motorcycle out to Nome. :lol3
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    too late!!

He's already found the "Canada Coast to Coast in winter" thread.
  3. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Thank you alcan rider ... I will keep in mind those guidelines.

the down jacket is by far the cheapest insurance against cold ... very packable.

I have a full Dickies jumpsuit ... and I've noticed the cold butt syndrome.

Not uncomfortable but I noticed that i need some kind of heated seat device.

Boris!!! to the laboratory!! :evil
  4. Norml

Norml Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cold riding gear from the skin out:
    flannel boxers, thinsulite sox, buffalo wool sox, insulated 8" high all leather grip rubber sole workboots, heely-hanson thinsulite ski underwear, fleece sweats, corduroy pants, bib rain pants, heavy leather chaps, long-sleeved fleece pull-over, heated HD vest,pullover suede leather shirt, insulated doublebreasted leather jacket,balaclava, thinsulite gloves inside insulated winter gloves (no heat), 3/4 helmet, and there you have it.
    I've ridden in temps to -12*C for 8 hours (including lunch,pee breaks and drink and fuel stops), 300 miles.
    I wasn't "toasty", but I wasn't hypothermic, either.:1drink
  5. Winterbiker

Winterbiker Sidecarist

Oddometer:
    With all the heated suits I´m not happy with them, because they prevent you from feeling the really coldness. What are you doing if riding with an electrical heated suit when you stop. You´ll be freezing. The body has no chance to heat up itsself.
    So, here in Europe the enthusastic winterdrivers - most of them - have no electrical heated suits. Some of us use only heated grips and/or hippo hands, because it would be very dangerous if you have no more feeling in your hands.
    The best way to prevent to the coldness is wearing the right stuff: Fleece underwear, Fleece second layer and a special motorcycle suit for winter, Kamik or Sorel boots (with a modified gear shifter) and Winter gloves (Held). In the new issue of the "Winterfahrer" (a german magazin for winter riders) there was calculated a complete wear for winter riders and it was less than 500 Euros complete (underwear, boots, socks, suit, gloves, hippo hands). I think that isn´t expensive to have much fun in the snow - even at temperatures at minus 25 degrees Celsius.

Greetings from germany and

have always a handful snow under your tyres

Winterbiker

http://www.winterfahrer.de
  6. 1200GSCanuck

1200GSCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm parked in my recliner in front of my wood pellet stove watching the neighbour across the street cutting, splitting, and hauling wood for his wood stove!I'm good for 48 hours without a stove refill, except for the beer i have to get up for once the mini-cooler is emptied next to the Lazy-boy
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, you don't understand... This thread is about cold :vardy weather riding. -12C is only 10 above F. :lol3 :lol3
    Seriously, the bib rain pants would be good windstoppers, but I have to wonder if they don't prevent the fabric from breathing over the long haul. :dunno
    You mention a 3/4 helmet... what sort of faceshield, or do you wear goggles?
    Your profile doesn't tell much about you, neighbor - whereabouts in the Yukon are you located?
  8. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:

Great new pic on your website....
    [​IMG]