Questions Regarding Texas Lemon Law on my new 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bumpnthump05, Oct 28, 2019.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motor replacement is an extremely unlikely possibility. You are dealing with an inept dealer (not to say that KTM USA doesn't have their own issues), go get your bike and find a good dealer to take it to.
    NMTrailboss and Yinzer Moto like this.
  2. bumpnthump05

bumpnthump05 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    October 30th 2019 -
    As i am at work, and my father is a over the road truck driver, between 8am and 9am CST my father once attempted to get ahold of someone at KTM Corporate 11 TIMES. Every time he was kicked over to the voicemail after approx 5 minutes of holding. STILL no help from KTM

He also called the dealership. He was told by the service manager, that they cannot get ahold of KTM either. So they are unaware why every time they shift the gears, all the parts shift out of alignment inside the gear shift mechanism. My father was told that they cant just drop the repair job as its required by warranty, but was told that if we want to expedite the process WE will have to get ahold of KTM engineers… which has proven to be near impossible thus far.

I'm starting to wonder if i shouldn't go the route of suing.

So some added details involve:
    I purchased the motorcycle from McGrath Motorsports in Cedar Rapids,IA while i was living in Illinois for 3 years. I moved back to Texas August 31 2019. The bike broke down September 7th 2019. I took it to the shop September 14th 2019. Talked to an attorney yesterday, They said since its not registered in Texas i would have no case. I couldn't have registered it after it broke on the 7th of September because Texas requires motorcycle safety inspection before they will register it. So... I was lead to have to look towards an Illinois Lemon Law... Upon research, its not covered because it wasn't purchase IN ILLINOIS... it was purchased in Iowa. So i check into Iowa Lemon law... They dont cover it on Motorcycles. FML
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s shitty your bike isn’t fixed yet but at least half the drama in the thread is not the fault of the dealership but your personal location/situation. Remove when you work, when they close, where you are, where they are, etc.

It’s going to get fixed, I agree they probably have the wrong updated part but that will be resolved. Yeah, it’s taking too long and something or someone f-led up. Im not seeing how a lawyer will fix it, the dealership doesn’t want it on their lift as much as you want it back.

I’m not saying KTM couldn’t be more supportive or at least communicative, but somewhat in their defense, that’s why the dealer is there.
  4. bumpnthump05

bumpnthump05 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At approximately 11:10 10/30/19 My father got ahold of someone at KTM via their customer service line. The guy would not state his name. He was VERY VERY rude, My dad told them that we have called well over 15-20 times total. Told them that his son (me) has left 4 voicemails with his phone number and he proceeded to say that they returned every one of my calls which is also a lie. The rep said that EVERY call that is made there is answered and all messages are answered as well. Which is a bold face lie. My dad explained the situation and the guy said that there is no reason that the dealership would not be able to get ahold of their tech line. The KTM rep said that the dealership was a liar, and my dad said then how come the internet gives the same story? The rep said the internet was a lie too people get on there just to write bad reviews. My dad said well looks like you have given us no help and have pushed us to follow into a lemon law affair. The rep responded to my father… “Whatever.” The rep said he was going to call the dealer and my dad said alright… mid sentence the rep hung up on him. So i am now going to call the dealer, tell them that KTM said they were going to call, explain the situation, and then ME i am going to risk getting in trouble at work for being on the phone a long time and call KTM until someone picks up. This is INSANE!
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank You for sharing your story.
    Navin likes this.
  6. Wheelhorse1

Wheelhorse1 Adventurer

Oddometer:

God bless America, that's fucked that you can sue the poor schlep working on the bike, you guys have a fucked legal system.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  7. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. But a couple of comments:

Once a customer goes over the head of the dealer and/or brings in the threat of legal action, the dealer/business will often distance itself from the customer, preparing for battle with corporate, lawyers, whoever. Not saying it's right. But that is often the way it is.

Second, the successful service issue problems I am familiar with just about always involve getting the dealer on your side and having them advocate for the customer. I get that not all dealers in all situations will do this. But IMO, that is the best path to successful resolution, even in cases where the bike is out of warranty.

I am not suggesting that your communication is the problem. But keeping it calm, personal and direct with the dealership is usually the best approach. Talk to the owner, manager if not getting what you want from underlings.

FWIW
    RideFreak, moto74 and Navin like this.
  8. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Bikes are covered under lemon law - it is possible that you won't get too many people sharing their experiences as I think those that gone thru the process for the most part are not allowed to talk about it.
    I would've have hoped KTM had learned their lesson on the 690 and lemon law before... bummer to spend $110K on legal fees and still have to buy the bike back and everyone really know why the first 690 mega thread got lost! :lol3
  9. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    It's frustrating just reading about the crap you're being put through, I can imagine how bad it must be for you.

Over here my brother bought a new TE630 when they first came out, struck up a very good relationship with the dealer and was happy.

They set his new bike up with a big tank, bash plate, racks and bags, he runs it in and heads off on a few thousand kilometre trip.

A few hundred k from home the 630 over heats and dies. The shop says breather hose came lose and dusted the engine, they repaired the cylinder (had to get it welded and replated) and fixed it under warranty.

He rides it home but the next time he rides it, it blows it's head gasket. They fix it again but charge him for parts. He takes it home but the next time He rides it the head gasket blows again.

By now he has had the shits and tells them to sell it for him because they want to charge him to fix it this time.

So his six month old bike adrian sits in the shop with the engine pulled apart, they raided some parts and sold the Safari tank then tell him to come and get his bike after a year or two.

So he puts the bike in our parents shed and forgets about the whole shitty mess, a few years ago we were talking bikes when I ask about it, he tells me where it is and says I can have it, so I go pick it up, take one look at the cylinder and see why he had the problems.

When they welded the cylinder there was a groove going from the combustion chamber to the water jacket, so there was no way a head gasket would seal.

It was one of the worst jobs I had ever seen, and if I spotted it straight away then the dealers mechanics should have spotted it. And I have no idea how it got replated with such an obvious defect.

I put a second hand cylinder on it, replaced some things they had stolen or lost and no more problems.

But at the time there was bugger all he could do about it. That dealer lost the Husky franchise not long after that.
    kawagumby likes this.
  10. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several years ago, I had a local Jeep dealer refuse to honor my warranty.
    I eventually found that the Texas Motor Vehicle Commission was responsible for these type of complaints.
    They said they could ask the dealer to agree to an arbitration hearing, but could not force him to do anything.
    Don't know what the current law requires...
    Public shaming may be your only alternative...
  11. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    So I just gotta know... do you let your brother ride it now? :)

12. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I live 1300 Klm away, and I sold it after I fixed it.

I rode it a few times and just didn't have any use for it.

I did buy him a Safari tank for his Africa Twin with some of the money I got for it.
    Navin likes this.
  13. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a horrible outcome so far....
    I had a friend who bought a Dodge 4x back in the day, the thing would just die anytime, anywhere. The dealer tried multiple times to fix it over several months, all to no avail. It was just too dangerous to drive so my friend parked it in front of the dealership, put a big sign on top of it along with lemons glued to it everywhere. The dealership bought it back.
    BaldKnob likes this.
  14. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dealer I bought my Betas from also sold KTMs. He sold the Austrian brand for decades and said one of the reasons he sold the KTM franchise is the difficultly in communicating with KTM for warranty claims, which he felt was happening too often with the newer bikes.
    Lewilewi, zxrider11 and Navin like this.
  15. olegbabich

olegbabich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This makes me sad. Sorry for your troubles and good luck.
  16. CowboyRR

CowboyRR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a similar experience with a bad front wheel on my 1190R. Calling KTM NA gets you nowhere. They do not answer the phone nor do they ever return your call. They do not exist for customers - period. KTM NA also gave the dealer the run around about replacing the wheel. The dealer OTOH was great. I was furious with KTM - still am really. But the dealer was awesome in every way. Disappointed to hear about your experience. Best of luck and keep us posted.
    bumpnthump05 likes this.
  17. bumpnthump05

bumpnthump05 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1 WEEK UPDATE SINCE LAST POST:

After finally getting ahold of KTM after countless attempts to get in touch with KTM this past thursday and my father getting ahold of the (found out later named "Kevin") rude guy that hung up on him, magically they flew a corporate service tech from California all the way to Texas on Friday. He arrived Friday night, started working on it Saturday.

Saturday, we were wondering if this supposedly sent tech was there so we made a surprise trip to the dealership to see if we could make them hurry up. It was on my way to the nearest Triumph dealership anyways to test drive a brand new Tiger 800 XCX. They told me it might be done by the end of the day Saturday. We came back by around 4 hours later. It wasnt done. Then i am briefed that it wouldnt possibly be done until Wednesday or Thursday.

They are closed Monday, So got in touch with the dealership yesterday to see about what the tech came up with. Supposedly it was working properly now, but the tech upon full tear down of the shift mech, noticed there was some inconsistancy issues with the splines of the shift lever shaft inside (service manager was VERY vague with this) so supposedly KTM corporate tech had ordered on saturday a new shift shaft, as well as replacement parts overnight to make sure the whole mech was working 100%. They were supposed to come in yesterday, but supposedly there was some sort of muck up with UPS (which doesnt surprise me) and the part would be here this morning and i beg and pray that it is done before 5pm today. If so im going to go finally pick this thing up. Might just go trade it in on that brand new tiger 800 i rode this weekend.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trading in on a British motorcycle? You must like having your bike in the shop.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet his Garnes were sacked oot.
    Bultaco206 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  20. bumpnthump05

bumpnthump05 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Find me multiple Triumph Tiger 800 posts that have sat in a shop for over 2 months.... KTM has 200 times more cases like mine. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki don't make an adventure bike i like.
    RideFreak likes this.