1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTN? - Camping on Indian Reservation

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thistle77, Jan 29, 2008.

1. thistle77

thistle77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The allure of the desert is pulling me again... Planning a road trip in early March to Monument Valley and northern AZ. Does anyone know if there are limitations on camping on Indian reservations? A large portion of the trip will be riding through the Navajo Indian Res and want to respectfully comply with the laws of the land :deal . The last thing I want is to be asked to leave in the middle of the night. LOL . Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    RC
  2. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a good idea unless approval is granted. Check with the area tribal council-doubt if you will be allowed to camp on tribal lands. Monument Valley tribal Park allows camping and the scenery is fantastic from your site, a view to die for. Also has basic showers but the fee is cheap. Last place you want to be in is Tribal Jail.????
  4. thistle77

thistle77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    usger and FotoTex;

Comments and advice is much appreciated - thanks, this gives me some foresight to plan accordingly. Expect a trip report sometime in March. Once this bloody snow melts......sigh.....
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Only if you have verifiable approval. Otherwise, it is a trespassing ticket that is adjudicated at a federal level... :deal

After all we did for them, this is the thanks we get.

:evil
  6. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Yeah just think what happened to the them last time someone camped on there land.
  7. gunslinger

gunslinger diabolical schemer

Oddometer:
    as far as washington goes - you can go to the res and get a five dollar permit that allows you to camp for a night. that might work there - id check for sure.

and make sure youre not doing brodies on the beach, running over seagulls and skinnydipping in the ocean - all the while visibly intoxicated. they seem to frown on that in washington if you dont have a permit. :1drink :1drink :1drink :D
  8. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Res camping is a questionable activity, and wholy unnecessary as you can camp just north of Monument Valley in Mexican Hat (and places north of the res). It's only 20 minutes away and I personally prefer Valley of the Gods to Monument Valley; just as beautiful and no crowds. A great place to camp, too. Moki Dugway, Goosenecks, Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, Burr Trail are all in the area and all provide great rides and vistas.

Enjoy.....Mike