Quezo Blanca - pardon my Spanglish

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by greentreephrog, Jun 16, 2019.

1. greentreephrog

greentreephrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The R80g/s - and I presume some other models - has a ring made of some mysterious white substance on each stanchion immediately below the bottom fork brace. It is used to provide a base for the top clamp fixing the gaiters to the stanchion, but deteriorates at an alarming rate, turning to unusable mush. Thus my calling it 'white cheese', for it may as well be made of that!

I thought of turning some similar items from delrin, a much more stable and rigid material. The idea being to turn the delrin to the same dimensions as a new white ring but with a diametrical gap the allow for compression on to the stanchion.

Has anyone tried this modification? If so, any comment on what to do or avoid. These things drive me crazy!
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    pictures would help.
  3. greentreephrog

greentreephrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh hell! I though everyone would know what these things were - seems to me like one of BMWs more notable 'misses'. But I suppose delrin wasnt around in 1983.

I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow morning. I tried to post the Motobins image of BMW part 31 42 1 241 669, but don't know if it will work. If it does, thank you to Motobins! Screenshot_20190616-222344_Firefox.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are what the gaitors secure to and hold the breather tubes that run through the lower triple clamp. My ‘81 G/S’a Originals are still in great shape.

I also just put a new pair sources from Motobins in my RS to convert it to gaitors
  5. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Delrin (Acetal) will work fine. Use black. The stuff machines very nicely.
  6. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
    Just replace the gaiters with the ones that have the air breather hole/locator already built into the gaiter no need for the white plastic. Examples in pic from Motorworks
    upload_2019-6-17_9-36-53.png
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The G/S ones have each breather through a rubber tube into the headlight bucket - so they might breath less dust/water. So the plastic ring mates with a rolled tube into the lower triple tee, the upper part of this rolled pin gets the rubber tube (ontop of the lower triple tee) and that then goes through a hole into the headlight bucket. IIRC.

Now if they had just taken the same care with the carby breathers... :baldy Not to mention the gearbox and rear drive... for those that use a G/S, use as in 'off road'.