Quick Disconnect replacement Pictorial, and Boss Clamps!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Brahma

Brahma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Do you or anyone else know the pressure from the pump? It would be a "fun fact"...
  2. Mike Figielski

Mike Figielski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pump is regulated by the system to approx 50 -58 psi (3.5 or 4 bar) depending on the year of the bike. Pump itself can produce higher pressure but the regulator keeps it down to 50 or 58 psi.
    Mike
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just installed the flange reinforcements and the metal QD'sfrom Beemer Boneyard on my early 2005 GS.
    Followed the JVB install thread,used the BB supplied sealant and let it set up for 30 min.before install and it cured for 30 hrs before startup,no leaks.

My original 90 degree QD's looked perfect,but at 75k,I know I was on borrowed time.
    My flanges both have small to medium cracks as compared to others pictured here.

Dealer is saying mid Sept.appointment for the flange recall and I'm leaving on a two week trip next weekend.So,better safe than sorry.

Thanks Beemer Boneyard and JVB!

JR356
  4. Mike Figielski

Oddometer:
    Awesome, good job JR356!
    Mike
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bumping this because a few people have had QD issues recently!
    toecutta and SocalRob like this.
  6. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    @JimVonBaden do you have a link for installing QD in the fuel pipes for 1150GS / 1150GSA?
    thanks
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is pretty straight forward. You replace the main and return lines with a straight pair, reversing one from the other so you don't confuse which is which. If you already have the plastic ones you just replace them. If not, cut the line 2" from the end and install the top one, then do the bottom one, but install it in reverse. If you have the GSA, attach a 90° one in the crossover. Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]
  8. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help everyone. The fuel pump was replaced 2.5 years ago and it does have the metal ring around the boss. I can't believe when all this was being done they did not replace the male QD...… A call out to @Mike Figielski at Beemer Boneyard for very good customer service.

Everything is back together, waiting till morning before I fire it up and salvage my 3 day weekend.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    2005 GS yesterday had not the flange crack but the female connector spewing fuel. I was removing it when it snapped off there were plastic and spring parts I had to pull out to insert an easyout to remove the lower part. I cleaned up the threads and noticed a plastic part at the bottom going into the pump itself! Should this round plastic be there as it appears to block access of fuel? To be clear its maybe 3/16 Round white plastic
  10. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What color is the plastic piece that you think may be blocking fuel flow to the pump? The OEM plastic bits were usually white, and the upgraded plastic was black.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    At this point I would replace both the male and female parts. It seems to be getting more and more common where the female part is failing.
    [​IMG]
    Callisto224 and lewisjr1 like this.
  12. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    looking into the flange past the threads it appears white and it doesnt push down but it does block the hole. Yes I will replace both fittings from BB.
    I'm not sure since I did destroy the moving parts of the female disconnect to get the easyout in
  13. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    Would this piece act like a valve and when pump starts it is pushed up? for fuel to flow
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    From the fuel pump, the first "valve" is the male side of the QD, so no, it shouldn't.

To be fair, I do not recall what it looks like inside when the female side of the QD boss is removed.
  15. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alright brain trust, I'd rather bump an existing thread than start a new one with the same topic.

I have the tank off my 09 GSA right now waiting on shocks to go back in, and while the QD's look fine, I figure while I'm in there and have ample access I'll swap them with the BBY units.

My question is, should I be putting the "Fuel Pump Flange Repair Clamp" on there too, as preventative maintenance? If so, there is a metal ring around the base of the flange which looks to do the same job -- see below photo.

What says yee?

[​IMG]
  16. Mike Figielski

Oddometer:

No need for repair clamp, you have the factory version of it on there already. We haven't sold many of those since the recall was issued :)
    Mike
    Beemerboneyard
  17. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're the man. Thanks Mike.
  18. jollyGreenGiant

jollyGreenGiant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First possible ride on my new-to-me bike, an R1200GS with 62K on the clock... Great condition, lots of new parts, clean and loved. I went over it really well, took it out for its first ride and about 3 miles in, I started to get sprayed down with gas on the left side, I have NO idea how the bike didn't light up and go down in a blaze, I watched SO much fuel spray over the hot engine and manifold before I could get it pulled over, shut down and cooled off... It was the male plastic fitting, cracked just enough to keep the engine running but allowed a thumb-on-the-garden-hose volume to spray everywhere... My freshly cleaned Aerostich suit leg and boot was drenched, sigh. Found this thread, placed an order with Mike ( Beemerboneyard ) who corrected me just moments ago on a Saturday about needing the clamps, I wasn't sure at first and just wanted to get it fixed ASAP, I didn't need them, he knew. I guess this is my hello and thanks for having me here moment! Thank you to all who came before me and who left this trail of knowledge to follow!
  19. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JollyGreenG -

Sorry for your misfortune but excellent first post. Thanks for coming in and using the information and then reporting back.

Your first post included 1) Identifying a problem, 2) researching and finding solution, 3) gratitude to those that provided information for the solution and 4) Vendor props. I wish I was good enough to include all that in my posts.

Welcome aboard!
    ultane, JimVonBaden and mitchapalooza like this.
  20. jollyGreenGiant

jollyGreenGiant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

I'm hoping to add what I can in a courteous, positive manner!

Seriously though, I'm glad these more detail-oriented, knowledge sharing type places still exist in the time of increasingly one-worded responses. I'm always hungry for knowledge.

My R1200GS is now fixed, ridden and dreamy. I'm in love!!!
    ultane likes this.