Quick Question: 2002 Sherco 2.9 or 2000 Montesa 315R

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Chuckracer, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I would get the one that is easiest to get parts for and I'm guessing that's the Sherco.

As long as both run and work as they should, both would be equal for teaching you the basics of trials.
  3. Dirt Dud

Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Honda like that one and it worked good but getting parts would be better on the Sherco .
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    Sherco parts should be more available than Montesa, but check with RYP first. Some older Sherco parts are being discontinued.
  5. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2001 Sherco 2.9 this summer and it's been great so far. Parts seem to be readily available between RYP and The Splat Shop. Documentation on the Sherco is also excellent; manuals can be found here under "misc": http://shercousa.com/?page_id=328

So far I've been able to source the following replacements for my bike at a reasonable cost:
    Fuel tank, $160 shipped (randomly started leaking, the old version of the fuel tank has a really stupid boss where the petcock connects. It just randomly started leaking. Make sure you hold the body petcock when actuating it.)
    Rear fender, $100 with shipping from the UK (I ordered a bunch of other stuff too). They are a little cheaper to get domestically.
    Front fender, $25
    Various jets, $6 each
    Brake/clutch levers, $12 to $15 each
    Airbox-to-carb rubber boot, $8
    Carb seal/gasket kit, $10
    Frame protecto decals, $4 each
    Gear oil sealing washers, $1.25 each

I have no opinion of the Montessa aside from it's an older bike for the same money that needs a new fan and the infamous "carb cleaning"... You could probably get the Sherco for less than $2100. I'd put your chances for getting it for $2000 at 95%. Based on my experience, there's little reason you shouldn't be able to grab it for closer to the KBB value of $1800.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  6. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks guys!
  7. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d rather own the Montesa, but for $2k the fan should work properly and the carb should be clean.

My first trials bike was a 315R, and I wish I’d kept it around once I bought a newer bike. The fit, finish and build quality was FAR superior to those older, silver frame Shercos. It was also the most reliable trials bike I’ve ever owned. Only drawbacks were the single piston front brake caliper was kinda weak, and the stock clutch dragged like crazy until I put Sureflex plates in it. Would love to find another clean one someday.
  8. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Both bikes have been sold. :(
  9. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    If a 315R is in cherry cherry shape no question about it over the Sherco. I had the '02 Sherco and know it very well. It was a great, straight-forward machine... other than the one year model error of an over-tall first gear.

The 315R has a wonderful, tractor-like motor and given the large Showa rear shock, if re valved, it has the potential to have really excellent, modern suspension, particularly if you also have the later-model Showa forks. The somewhat hyper clutch can be addressed with tweaks.

The 315R is built so solidly that if your parts are good to start with, and you aren't a repeat crasher, the bike would last and last. It is still very competitive today and Hontesa should not have stopped offering it.
  10. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 315 performs well in completely stock form. One rider had low score on Saturday at the National. Only 3 points in the support line. Another top rider admitted some sections he would clean on his 315, but never on his 4RT. That was just a generalization of the reality between the bikes. Funny thing was he was talking about really slippery sections.
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Bring back the 315 in modern form! Now that's a bike I'd buy from local Honda dealer, not that boat anchor they currently make.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Hay now... :bluduh

:1drink
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Ever since I got a chance to work on and ride a 315R I have been intrigued by them. Yeah they're solid (read: heavy), the power just signed off on top, but that motor was smooth and sweet! A bit cluttered and weird around the air box. And dang! Why the odd ball rear sprocket! It looks like an early 2000s Sherco 6-hole, but isn't.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the first time I ever rode one, they were the lightest bike made. I thought I could do anything on it. So I chose a heel clicker while doung a nose wheelie and prombtly endoed in front of a crowd of riders. Damn glad it was Bruce's brand new bike!
    Brewtus and jonnyc21 like this.