Quick summary of things to do at 600mi, please.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by eugeneorange, Jun 23, 2004.

1. eugeneorange

eugeneorange that's gonna leave a mark

Oddometer:
    Can you guys give me a quick rundown of things to do at 600mi service?
    I know it's been covered many times, but I thought, there are always some new developments and updates, so I want to hear the latest.

I have the "S" model, orange w/black rims and black front fender ('04?), everything stock (for now). I didn't look to see if I have all the canister or the EPC stuff.

This is what I gathered so far:

1. raise needles 1 notch (in both carbs?)
    2. adjust jetting (how?)
    3. check the synchronization of the carbs
    4. check/adjust valves to spec
    5. change the oil (and oil filter(s?))
    6. Clean the oil screens

Maybies:
    7. Remove EPC
    8. Remove charcoal canister thingy
    (is SAS the same thing?...what does it do anyway???)
    9. Install 16Tx45T sprocket combo (unless they charge too much to install)

Anything else I forgot?

oh...and how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks for feedback.
    eugeneorange
  2. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i had the shop put engine ice in to help keep the hot running beast cool. The carbs had tank skudge on them so carbs got cleaned. What I should have done was gotten a hold of the oil return kit (60 bucks i think) and had that installed but thats another story..Oh yea maybe a bigger clutch jet whatever that is
  3. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    An Orange S (with a black/orange fender) is an '03 bike. At least in the rest of the world it is. I have the same bike. Confusingly enough it's sold as an '04 bike in the US too. From '04 all models have unicolor fenders and the S is the blue GO! model.

Raising the fuel needles (both) to 3rd from top and setting the idle mixture to 4.2% CO is all that's needed to set the carbs right. Unfortunately most dealers don't have/use a gas analyser to do this and just put the idle mixture on x turns out. This is not the same and not nearly as accurate... KTM didn't put 'sniff-holes' on the headerpipes for nothing ya know.

Another thing a good dealer should do is to check all the nuts'n bolds on tightening spec. Seems pretty obvious but very few dealers actually do this. Both my 950s had their first service at Sommer Germany and both times the mechanic spend a lot of time jumping around the entire bike with a torque wrench. This goes from cylinder heads and yokes up to the wheel axles. Everything really.

Stangly enough my first '04 bike needed an almost scary amount of re-tightening of the most important joints like cylinder heads and such. Way off spec... :yikes My second and current '03 S was much much better in this respect and needed very little re-tightening. It was not the first time they encountered this with '03 vs. '04 bikes BTW.