"Quickie" KTM bar riser extensions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Nov 4, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Hi ya' inmates,

Got my risers finished tonight. I had some aluminum, old style Harley Screamin' Eagle, Evo air cleaner backing plate spacers laying around in the misc. semi-useless shit box.
    They are 33mm long (about 1 9/32") and all I had to do was core them out to a 10mm ID from 5/16".
    Got some 10x100 stainless allen head bolts (enough to offset the additional length) and stainless low-profile nyloc nuts to go with them.
    I had access to a lathe, so cutting the heads down to match the OEM short head bolts was no big deal. I suppose if I didn't have a lathe, a grinder, belt sander or saw would have worked as well... just slower and not as sano.

[​IMG]

Had to reroute the decompressor cable to the front and between the risers... a bit too short for the original position. The throttle cables were fine and all other cables and wiring were fine as is.
    Standing up on the pegs, my back is straight with just the slightest bend in my knees.
    I'll be on the lookout for a firmer bushing (polyethalene?) to replace the stock rubber ones. With this much leverage, I think they will get worn out faster than normal.

[​IMG]

Major bonus!!! I get to put back one inch per side of steering lock that I had to take out for the roadbook holder. :clap

That's it.
    Creep
  2. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I must start thinking about raising my bars, I will probably use the Touratech risers and see how I get on from there. I noticed that the decompressor cable looked like it may need attention, are any of the others tight?
  3. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Funny you should post this. My new-to-me 640 is apart. I went to install Pro Taper risers and 1) the bolts were to big for the OEM holes in the rubber and 2) they ain't tall enough.

I'll be visiting a fab shop by my house tonight to get them to knock me out a pair of dem. OR, I'll see if Home Depott has some aloominum stock. I got a drill press.

Course if you wanna' knock out 2 more I'll pay ya to overnight them.

Barry
  4. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Creeper, Looks like the ones I made but taller. Mine are only .750 and that was a strech on the throttle cables. :scratch. I also tappered mine to match the Diameter of the washer crown for a larger footprint. made sence at the time.
    What grade bolts did you use? I went for standard grade and stayed away from grade 8's . with the extended leverage I would rather bend a bolt than break one and I've seen grade 8's break where a low grade would just bend. At least you get home with a bent bolt. :lol3
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Beautiful creeper but one side question: you got your forks choked up pretty good there. Why?

:ear
  6. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    mine are like that too cuz i lowered the rear and if i didn't, it'd ride like something made by jesse james.

running the stock rear height and raising the forks will decrease rake and quicken steering. i had to do that on my KLR, it rode like a damn chopper. :freaky
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Howdy y'all,

Bucky, I believe the Touratechs are 24mm. would make quite a difference. I don't imagine you'll encounter any cable problems.
    I went as long as I did just for the hell of it. I can always shorten them. :evil

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    It took me a week to get the bolts... had to special order them. Finding a 10X100 allen at the local harware store... or any hardware store for that matter... good luck.

Hey Dag... they are grade 5 stainless. I like bending vs. breaking myself. :D My throttle cables are long enough, even the decompressor cable was close in the standard routing, but routing it as shown eliminated a slight binding at full right lock.

Meat... It's not that much "choke" on the legs. I've (and Peeps apparently as well) found it corners a bit better on the loose dirt/gravel/rocks that make up most of Washington off-road.

Of to work... hi ho, hi ho....
  8. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Creeper, I have my forks up about 5mm, you look to have about 15mm or so. Is this cause you lowered the rear too, or were you looking for more front end bite ? It must really be a handful in sand when you get off the gas!

One more thing... do you have the part number for your fork bleeders? I saw them for 48mm exc forks and wondered if it was the same part.
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Mine is up just a hair to the second ring - it was supposed to help with the front end "flopping" into corners at slow speeds. I don't know if that is the correct terminology but on the tarmac at low speeds when I lean into a corner to turn the front wheel turns (or tries to) all by iteslf. Is this normal w/o a dampener or do I need to choke up more?
  10. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Meat,

mine flopped as well when I had the Sahara's on it, with the front tire inadvertantly mounted backwards from the factory. I put new MT21's on it and it has NO tendancy to do that anymore.
  11. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    hey meat, that's called oversteer, and it could be tire related, pressure related or fork related. that's a symptom of a small amount of rake tho, and raising the forks would only increase this tendency. make sure your tires are properly inflated may be a cheap fix, sounds like front may be a bit soft.
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    hmmm, stock 03 with 2500 miles on stock Saharas, tire pressure is at about 30psi for tarmac. maybe the forks are setup wrong?
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    What do you weigh? Short of running a stiffer spring in the fork, you can increse the compression damping and reduce the rebound. A common "bandaid" for a fork with insufficent spring rate.
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I oscillate around 200lbs. DOE

I would love to have the $1200 suspension work done but your bandaid might actually happen. Increase compression dampening and reduce rebound. check. :thumb
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I weigh the same. :lol3 I'll give you the numbers I settled on tonight.
  16. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    As I recall, they are currently at... ah, yea' I think about 15mm. Did it to improve handling on and off road.
    If I could find some sand in Washington, other that at the Pacific Ocean... :D
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Just a little addendum.

The H-D part number for those spacers is 6784. They retail for about $2.25 ea. They will have to be drilled out to 10mm ID.

The 10X100mm bolts and low-profile nuts are distributed by Gardner-Westcott, a wholesale only fastener supplier to many H-D dealers and custom shops. The bolts are #73809, the nuts are #69962. The allen bolt heads will have to be shortened to the same hight as the stockers.

So, this whole thing can be done for under $10. :D

Thazit...
  18. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    loaded risers come in 20mm and 30mm lengths and come with the required hardware. If you want a set pop me a pm.

[​IMG]
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Support free enterprise!!! Buy Loaded's riser kits. :thumb :D
  20. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Loaded,

what is your height/torso, etc? Got ape arms? Just trying to determine if I should be in a 20 or 30mm situation. I am 5'10" with proportional torso, legs, arms...

What do you think?

M