"Quickie" KTM bar riser extensions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Nov 4, 2004.

1. malsin

malsin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, Loaded raises some good points/questions ...

Original post by Creeper was for stainless bolts and nuts. Did I miss the "no go" post on that?

The bolt heads are marked 8.8. I found a table at
    http://www.americanfastener.com/technical/grade_markings_steel.asp
    The numbers would indicate that a 8.8 metric is equivalent to a grade 5 US. Am I off in la-la land with this one? Perhaps the bolts aren't stainless if they are marked 8.8?

The grinding was of short duration on the edges of the head only. Very little discoloration occurred.Cutting the slot didn't take much time either. Time = heat build up.

I didn't set out to do this the cheap way. I ordered the bolts and nuts and then waited, and waited, and then got impatient.
  2. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:

no buttons pushed mate.

we'll deal with the heating issue first as it is a simple cut and dry answer. "not much" discolouration does not quantify anything. any discolouration at all has altered the properties of the fastener. combined with a nice slot in the head its yield strength has been reduced substantially.

lucky for you stainless doesn't "go soft" like a carbon steel does... stainless is cold worked to increase its strength. aint gonna touch that here.

you say the head was marked 8.8... not a stainless fastener! simple. done. piece of cake. stainless fasteners are graded with different designations.. it is either an a1, a2, or a4 degnation. that designation is followed by a dash number 50, 70, or 80... that is the material hardness.

the most common 10mm stainless fastener commercially available has a tensile strength of 500n/mm^2. just disregard the newton part and look at the 500 for comparison with the stock fastener.

the common (readily available) 8.8 grade fastener 10mm has a tensile strength of 800n/mm^2 .... but that's not what the factory uses to hold your bars on...

ktm uses a 10.9 grade fastener which has a tensile strength of 1040n/mm^2

i ship my risers with a 12.9 grade fastener which is rated at 1220n/mm^2

summary:

1) you have installed a bolt with half the strength of stock.

2) you modified (grinding and slotting) it which further decreased the strength.

3) you have increased the height of your bars and the bending force on the fastener.

conclusion:

take the flippin bolts and risers out until you get the correct bolts.

your call doode...
  3. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Creeper, hi!
    I have read somewhere Meat_Popsicle is 6'4", similar to me. Here you and Meat say you are both 200 pounds, so may be you are close to 6'4" like me. Then my question is: a kit of 30mm handlebar risers resolve your standup ride issue? or even close?
    Last one: I couldn't find info about the wires lenght of the '06 640ADV. Do you know how tall are the risers they allow?

Thanks, and my apollogies for re-open such an old thread ;)
    See you.
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    When this thread was current, Meat and Creep may indeed have weighed in at 200 pounds. Things change over time...

Oh, and Creep is closer to 5'4" than 6'4" :lol3
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's girth right?.... :lol3

btw thx liferider... for diggin this one up! :thumb
  6. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    I still say not to use grade 3-5 or above bolts.

I've had mine on for years and Wacked em hard on the ground more than a few times.
    road home with bent bolts but they didn't break. if they were grade 8-10 I woulda bent the bars or worse broke something else then it woulda been a long trog outta the woods.

just my .02 cents

PS fuck loaded :wave

:flip
    :lol3
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    That's part of the same logic for torque values eh Dag? Example: over-torqued triple clamp pinch bolts could cause the forks to bend before the pinch bolts slip. Adjust fork alignment or replace forks - you make the call. :lol3
  8. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:

Eggzactly!

high grade bolts Snap in lateral load. low grade bolts just bend.
    hey grade might be stronger (correct me if I'm wrong loaded) in torsion and stretch but in a lateral load iz bad.

I'd rather bend the bolt for 89cents and replace it than bend my $89.00 bars or break the $3.00 bolt and have a bitch of a ride home.

:fitz
  9. Nicolasleon

Nicolasleon Gnarly F5er

Oddometer:
    Hey Liferider, I wonder if you ever got an answer for your question, as its the rockbottom issue here in Chile, where cables are'nt easy to get. I'm gessin its your problem too in Argentina.

Did you manage to find out how tolerant to bar riser hight are the stock cables on your bike?

it seems stupid to me talking to you in english but it might help if anyone else has the answer!:freaky
  10. liferider

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha!!! it always happens to talk in english even to spanish talkers !
    But here you are right, that makes possible everyone to join the subject.

I never got an answer here (first time it happens to me), and at KTM Chile at Temuco, I was told that they "consider" the cables are long enough, but they only installed bar risers in 990 and 950 models. They just think they should work.
    And about to get longer cables (and any KTM parts as well) ... here in ARG it's more impossible than in your country. I buy everything at the Temuco branch, everything I needed, they got it. A few days ago I was there, and they did my complete trip end service.

Please keep us updated if you have news about this, thanks!
  11. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:

Hey Liferider, I have these risers on my bike with stock length cables. You will have to move some stuff around to get it all to work, but it does.

The other thing you can do about your height issue (from the year old post above), is to swap the stock bars for ProTaper Pastana FMX bars. The stock bars have an awkward downward bend that I could never get right, so I got rid of them. Huge difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. liferider

Oddometer:
    Super B-Rod to the rescue!
    How are you? Good news for us, and good pics of the bar risers. A good job deserves more questions:
    -- I have been reading that 3 cms are what everybody uses to rise the bar, and I was always wondering if 3 cms (1.18in) would be enough. As far as I can see, your setup seems to be higher than that (4 or 5 (1.58 or 1.97 inches) may be). Am I wrong?
    -- What is the device you have added to the screws of the top of the suspensions?
    -- I have been told the addons you put at both ends of the bar are to help minimize the vibration of the bar. Is that right?
    Thanks again!
  13. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    My riser is 2 3/4" (7 cm), which makes it taller than Dirtinblood's (2"), and Loadedagain's (1 1/4"), or ProTect Enduro Concepts riser (1.5").

The bar end weights probably reduce vibes, as my bike feels reeeeaaallly smooth (I've only ridden 1 other 640, and I really didn't pay attention to whether it vibrated or not) at highway speeds, and only vibes a little when plonking around town. I never notice vibration off road. Other things to think about, like how much fun I'm having.

The things you see on the forks are speed bleeders, which, when you press the top, release the built up air pressure in the forks.

Again the handle bars make a huge difference for comfort, as I am a tall guy (6'3"), and wasn't comfortable bending over when I stood, even with the excessive height of the riser.