"Quiet Flow". Hah!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonex, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Jonex

Jonex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just installed a Napa Quiet Flow muffler on my Cherokee. What a joke. It's louder than the rusted out split seamed thing I removed. Is there such a thing as a quiet aftermarket muffler?
  2. s0crates82

s0crates82 n00b

Oddometer:
    not really. OEM is as quiet as it gets. you could always hit a junkyard and grab a couple old mufflers off other vehicles and string 'em together. that'd turn down the volume real quick.
  3. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I just replaced a cat back system on my Ford van. Got it from the local dealer. OEM is stainless, aftermarket is aluminized steel, and I KNOW it won't last ten years, like the original did.
  4. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    Sonex:
    I think you got mismarketed at.
    There are many quiet after market exhaust parts.
    Maybe the 'Flow' should've been a tipoff.

ttpete:
    You could've bought the OEM part. I'm sure you did some math. Hope it works out.

I quit doing exhaust work for a while but now my kids have cars and no money so 'I'm back'!
  5. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
    It never hurts to call the stealership. Sure you might get a laugh but I have found complete exhaust systems for my Ford truck for under $150 and it went on easy, pull two bolts, new flange gasket and very sweet..it had the hangers welded on as original, job was cake and good for another 100k miles so sometimes you get lucky on oem.
  6. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
    PS- I had repacked my KTM 550 can and stuck the sticker on it "SILENT SPORT" well it sure was as bike was only heard from 2 miles vs 3.5 miles away.
  7. Jonex

Jonex Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got that right. Napa claims that their Quiet Flow line provides OEM-like sound levels. What a crock. The chick at the counter even said it would have more baffles than the cheapy ones, hence the big price tag.

Live and learn I guess.
  8. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    In the past when I needed something quiet, I've used the Walker triple-pass mufflers to good effect. Normally the biggest, longest one I can fit in the space available. They work OK.
  9. big-t

big-t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cherokees are usually on the border between loud and quiet,doesn't take much to cross that border. The correct "direct fit" from any good after market Mfg should be very close to the original sound level.

Check out the application (should be on the net) to see if they sold you the correct muffler.You would be surprised how many mufflers are interchangeable size wise,but the flow and sound characteristics are really bad when used on a different vehicle. Sometimes the part folks get creative....:huh

Has the converter ever been changed or gutted ? Universal ones are only 1/2 the length of the originals and will make it a lot louder,as will an empty one.

Check to see if the system is touching the frame anywhere.I see many laying on the crossmember,which seems to amplify the sound.

Any engine mods ?? They can cause problems.

Lotsa issues that can cause excessive noise

Good luck !
  10. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you put it on backwards it's a loudener.:deal
  11. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Why didnt you just buy a good used muffler from a salvage yard? It'd be cheaper, work better, and fit better.
  12. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    That's what I DID do. It's a one piece system, and I'm keeping the truck until the wheels fall off. I let the dealer hang it because I was getting a new drag link at the same time. After working in the automotive field for 40 years, I'm done. The dealer gets to fix my vehicles from now on.
  13. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    This.
  14. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    This is the first thing you've posted that I don't agree with.
    Some things, you don't get at a junkyard.

Shoelaces
    Brake pads
    Mufflers

Just to name 3. :D
  15. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Bring it back. Get the OEM type system from them.