Quiet here

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by OK Lucinda, May 4, 2015.

1. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    So it's spring '15 and the activity here, on one of the most entertaining regional threads, is down on this time last year. And even further down on the spring of '13, when this was chaotic with activity. This board made it easy to route CA and SA because of all the discussion back then. Everyone and their mother knew to gas up big in case there was nothing at Bajo Caracoles for example. Now, you'd never know.

This place used to be an institution. Love it or hate it, it was gold.

Do you think the rider numbers are down? I would have thought with ever advancing ride assisting tools like the improving OSMs and GPSs and stuff like trip advisor, couchsurfing, ATM's sprouting everywhere, etc etc that make it a relative breeze, the numbers would be going up.

Apparently not, but maybe the numbers are increasing and it's just this board that's in decline. Maybe HUBB is on the ascendancy. But they're not going to find out where to get high in Bogota over there in goodytwoshoes land, and for Vancouverites that's critical info. For example only.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm busy with my new riding partner Little Tom Buck:wink: Edit: Born April 30th
    [​IMG]
    and planning on getting back to Houston for a tourist visa for VZ in the near future.

I can see ADV vans and Landcrusiers in my future....:lol3

Now where is that shiney things thread at in the basement:type
  3. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3

I am moving a scooter from 'merica up to Alaska in a couple of weeks. What kind of oil should I use? Is Canada like a whole other country or something? Can I bring my guns with me? Do they sell gas there? Is pot legal? Where can I get high in YVR? :rofl Willing to trade info about prostitutes in Medellin and Bogota. :lol3

That's what's happening here now, the dread of every adv rider, baby pictures! :rofl

congrats John. :freaky
  4. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Max, you're probably the most hated man on advrider. :lol3 and the most entertaining. You should be proud of that. :lol3 but we still love you man!:rofl I'll be in San Diego in the next 2 weeks getting the scooter ready for the ride up to AK with my bitch on the back. Look me up. I'll be around and can take you on rides that will make you cry like a little bitch.

Misery Goat, please don't ban Max, he is the last entertainment we have. :lol3
  5. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably too many people from Vancouver showed up and everyone got out while they could.

6. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    John, the rug rat has one up on ya buddy, He's got hair on the top of his head. He definitely got Mamma's good looks.:rofl
  7. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Hola Vince, you better make sure your german queen doesn't read this or you're not gonna enjoy the ride up north :D :jomomma :D
  8. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    I can just tell her its a language barrier. :rofl The only phrase I can remember in German is something like "fuck double shit." :lol3

I might be able to swing that, have a 450 and 690 in SoCal now. :evil
  9. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Sound like a new European odyssey ride report title "Spreken Zie Fuck Double Shit" is in order to me:rofl Vince gets pulled over by the cops and all he can say is "fuck double shit son a bitch" over and over in broken German; I bet never a ticket... You've got to wear a helmet cam for sure:deal:lol3

Vinny gets a new 450 and 690 and John get a new baby:lol3 I've heard it more than once before that a good wife has been the death of a great adventure rider:lol3 What can I say, I was either going to get married to the greatest woman I know or spend the rest of my days with Colombian whores, it was a total tossup:1drink

Ps sorry about the baby pictures, I could not help myself I'm just so impressed with what I made I had loads of practice to get it right:D, now just have to live long enough to show this kid how to have some real adventure starting with a ride up to Alaska to see ole uncle Vinny. Keep up the good work amigo, somebodies got to it:wink:
  10. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Congrats, John!
  11. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Thanks MG.
  12. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    I'll probably take you up on that, and even pit for you or drive chase. I'll be hiding out in Alaska until October most likely. If you want to hook up with a team that actually has a chance of placing in the over 50 moto class, let me know. :lol3
  13. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Congrats John on the new adv rider.
    Bman, even though you term yourself a bully, Or a curmudgeon or cranky, I think as you get older (and more mellow?) a better term for you (especially on this forum) is viejo cascarrabias.
    It is snowing and raining in Colorado this weekend, even the Goldwing is staying in the garage.
  14. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    fyyff bman.
  15. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that brings a tear to my eye. Maybe we could do the same for Gabe when he gets to the U.S. on his record ride!:lol3 He should be in Colombia by now arranging his crossing of the Darien!:lol3
  16. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude I was starting to think he was somebody's fake noob!:lol3 I knew it wasn't going to be easy. When that volcano went off I must admit the picture of him out in that wind with added ingredient of volcanic ash thrown in had me rolling on the floor not that I wish them anything but the best of luck but come on I am sure you see the humor!:lol3
  17. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nov 30, 2006
    Updated: New Alaska-Argentina Trans-Americas Record Set On BMW F650

© 2015, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc. From a press release issued
    <!-- video / image / nothing --><!-- image - regular site uses 520px wide and no bgcolor --> [​IMG]
    <!-- media caption (title/description) --> David Gerulski finishes his 27 day, 15,051-mile trek on his BMW F650 in Ushuaia, Argentina.
    Previous Record Broken by 7 Days; a Fundraising Project for Pat Tillman Foundation PORTLAND, Ore. It's a long and winding road from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, to Ushuaia, Argentina 15,051 miles to be exact from the most northern milepost in North American to road's end in South America. Now imagine riding that distance on a motorcycle. Then imagine doing it as fast as you dare, day after day, for nearly a month. David Gerulski, of Atlanta, Ga., did more than imagine such a ride: he did it. And he did it in record-setting style, setting a new motorcycle world record for the Trans-Americas journey: 27 days, seven hours, and 52 minutes. Riding a 2005 BMW F650 Dakar off-road bike, equipped with PIAA auxiliary lamps and halogen headlight bulbs, Gerulski departed Prudhoe Bay on September 1st and cruised into Ushuaia on September 28th, breaking the previous record by seven days. More important than the record far more important is that Gerulski took on the challenge as a fundraiser for the Pat Tillman Foundation. Tillman, as most Americans are aware, was a standout professional football player for the Arizona Cardinals. After 9/11, he gave up his gridiron career to become a member of the U.S Army Seals. Tragically, Tillman lost his life in Afghanistan. Gerulski, a family friend of Tillman, wanted to give something back to America in Tillman's name. The 15,000-mile ride crossed 17 borders and traversed 14 countries. Many of the roads were unpaved. The weather varied wildly, putting Gerulski through rain, snow and high winds. Temperatures ranged from freezing to triple digits. To cover the distance in the required time, Gerulski rode an average of 16 hours a day, sometimes more, and four-to-six of those hours were at night, where the PIAA lighting kept the 43-year-old high-tech business executive on a safe path. "I started a bit slow, so I had make up time by riding long hours at night through jungles, mountains and deserts," explained Gerulski, "The PIAA lamps and bulbs not only provided a clear view, but a real sense of security. Without them, I would never have set the record. Plus, it didn't mater if I came across a moose, a cow or a llama, I lit 'em up from a hundred yards away with my PIAAs!" Despite the severe conditions weather, vibrations, road debris Gerulski's PIAA lamps and bulbs a BMW 650 kit (PIAA p/n 74650) that included two 510 driving lights and a custom mounting bracket -- performed flawlessly, with no failures of any kind. Gerulski's fundraising goal was to raise a million dollars for the Pat Tillman Foundation. To date, he is shy of that ambitious goal but continues to push towards it. The Pat Tillman Foundation seeks to carry forward Pat's legacy by inspiring and supporting young people striving to promote positive change in themselves and the world around them. Inspired by Tillman's passion, the Foundation's Leadership Through Action program enhances young people's leadership skills, helps them use their skills to develop solutions to today's problems, and ultimately funds those projects that have merit. Further, the program creates a forum and a network for current leaders to give back and help shape the leaders of tomorrow. For detailed information on Dave Gerulski's incredible journey on behalf of the Pat Tillman Foundation, visit www.34for40.org, and read his ride diary and view photos of the trip. The website also has details on how to donate to the Tillman Foundation. PIAA Corporation, USA is located at 3004 NE 181st, Portland, OR 97230, 503-489-6666. For more information visit the PIAA website at www.piaa.com. And now some reader comment on the above press release, which was posted as received: FIRST PERSON/OPINION Via e-mail: You may have already been advised of the factual error in the article about David Gerulski's 15051 mile ride. If not, be advised that Pat Tillman was an Army Ranger, not an Army Seal. The only "Seal" units are in the U.S. Navy. I don't mean to nit pick but when reading Army Seal it is grating to the nerves like someone scraping their finger nails on a chalk board, kind of like reading "Honda Ninja ZX10." On a positive note, I like your website a lot. I check it every day for the news updates and also subscribe to your magazine. My wife, who rides a 2005 CBR600RR, thumbs through it too. Keep up the good work, Adam Worthington Westerville, Ohio
  18. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Banana,
    The continue of the saga looks that continue in the HU Facebook group, it seems that is coopted by a gang of parade’s HD long trips to Starbucks riders who are trying to help a poor man who are lost down here on the South Wasteland Territories without be able to talk the native dialect. What an amazing adventure have our two heroes, the crazy Max (Fury Road Max) is a pussy!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thehubb/permalink/787582291338376/

(Hey Mark you should re-open his thread so he can entertain us with his RR a bit, life is too boring without)
  19. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heh heh heh....Javier comes through with a direct link to the action! Abrazos y besos usted y su esposa encantadora!
  20. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree here is the old thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014435&page=2

But I am still saying like I said to Bananaman that this whole trip is bogus .:lol3 All the characters are fake noobs and the whole story is a humorous farce! We need the thread to clear it up and if it is real determine how these wayward riders went wrong!:deal