Quiet here

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by OK Lucinda, May 4, 2015.

1. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    PM'd you. Christmas morning on the Mekong.
  2. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    1) The dirt riding is very hard for a big bike. It's like your avatar at the first sign of rain.
    2) It's inexpensive.
    3) Very, very friendly. Specially Indonesia, where they almost beg to do something for you. Everyone is smiling.
    4) Skip Malaysia
    5) China can be a cruel place and will fuck with your head. But Yunnan was beautiful. I won't be back.
    6) The Latin women / SE Asian women comparison is nearly impossible. Equally beautiful, but beyond that, nothing in common.
    7) If I could only ride in LA or SE Asia, it would be LA every time, no hesitation. But in Asia you can get a lot done in a little time.
    8) The classic Dili, E Timor to Medan, Sumatra route can be either the most fantastic epic, or the most miserable epic, depending on how you navigate and survive it. I loved it, many hate it. Either way, an essential tick, like Puerto Montt to Ushuaia 'direct'. But with 60 million vehicles, lol.
    9) Thailand is so civilized and easy it might not hold your interest for long, not sure.

I have more to do, so we'll see.
  3. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:

Maybe we'll see some signs of life in the adv bike world now that Honda has opened the door wide. The new AT solves a lot of problems for the litre RTW crowd. I've been wondering what BMW's response will be, now that they can no longer claim to make a litre dirt-capable bike, by comparison. Are people allowed to show up to Rawhyde courses on a Honda? That'll be embarrassing. The only question that remains is whether the AT is better than all three current litre KTM's in the dirt. Might be. A couple of journalists have already hinted at it. Plus it's a Honda. So the heavy litre class now has a bike better in dirt than on paved. The best guess is that BMW will radically overhaul the 800.

For lighter bikes, thumpers, who knows. Er. the Aussies reckon they know, they are all, to a man, committed to the DR650. I know three good RTW riders, two Aussies and a Kiwi, on fully tricked out DR's. They'd consider nothing else. ShortWayRound, all hail, ended up on a DR. They can be lightened.

The HP2 is not realistic unless someone is committed to all the changes and hassles required, and willing to pay big for it. So fine for someone planning a 5+ year ride, a lifestyle change, and bugger everything else. Plus it's not an easy ride, way too cut-and-thrust to ever be comfortable. I had a GS and the first time I got on the HP2 I thought no way, not a chance. I've just got used to it. It looks nice though!

Rambling.
  4. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    SE Asia Lucinda selfie

[​IMG]
  5. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of the Africa Twin concept that'll undoughtedly be released as the 'R' version.

Termignoni full ti system
    Rally seat
    Extended range tank (existing tank is about 230 miles)
    Cleaned-up tail section grabs etc
    Possibly an aluminum cradle hiding under the white paint
    Nice side panels
    Other stuff we can't see
    Power up, weight down

What a beast!

[​IMG]
  6. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    It's unlikely that they'll interfere with the 1200 program. 90% of GS owners don't ride on dirt anyway, so no need to fix what isn't bust.

But BMW have to do something. They're completely invested in being the ADV bike company. Most of the marketing images are dirt images. So now they have a big problem. Within 12 months everyone will know the AT is the actual litre ADV bike for actual ADV riders, whether they're parked outside Starbucks or not. They'll be the bikes happiest tearing down the Carretera, not the GS. The price is right, too.

It seems likely that BMW will retaliate with a bike smaller that the GS. Maybe a brand new 800, redesigned from the ground up. Plus Yamaha will have to do something. Anyway, the AT is good for ADV riders because it'll bring new competitive bikes to market.

So if I had to buy a new bike now, it'd be an easy decision. Even though it's heavy, it's a good dirt bike, has massive dealer support depth everywhere on the planet, is probably Honda reliable, is comfortable, doesn't require any farkling, is a blast to ride apparently, got it all.
  7. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam Lewis swapped over to drz for Russia and bam road after LA on the DR.
  8. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good discussion but what about a bike that does not require someone to be 6'5" or with ostrich length legs to flatfoot? Something lower without screwing it up w/ lowering links. But with large enough tank. The tall bikes also get blown around more in the wind. Not many of these are actually even ridden offroad. Maybe a little gravel or hard dirt roads.
  9. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda cb500x with rally raid conversion looks like a very nice setup for light duty travel, would like to see differnt tank option but very nice for shorter riders.

I think much depends on desired continent to ride. I have enjoyed my heavy 650 down South but would prefer a 400 for say Africa SE Asia I'm thinking. Big choice on how far off the Tarmac you are wanting to go.
  10. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    That's a dangerous and highly political question. Even when the bike is repeatedly a problem, the owners stand firm on orange. I wouldn't touch one.

It's amazing how much resistance the AT is getting from some. Doesn't suit the way they want to present themselves, or they can't afford a new bike, or some snobbery that has nothing to do with the bike. Something prevents them from getting their head around how good the bike actually is, or have an ego-related blind spot for the mix of riding in a very long route. None of this is directed at you Max, or anyone on this thread.
  11. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    It doesn't have much. Less than any other litre bike.
  12. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude hear ya go. You can make it into whatever you want. 53 HP , bulletproof Eng. 357 wet. Not a racer but a good long rider!

upload_2016-1-8_7-24-27.png
  13. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    bananaman likes this.