Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lightcycle, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Was fun helping Isak break in his new KTM 1290 Super Adventure R!

I remember doing the BMW Enduro course with my R12GS still set on street mode after riding back from the restaurant after lunch. It was such a different animal, uncontrollable in the dirt. Once back to Enduro mode, all was well with the world again. These new bikes are packed with so much electronics that they really transform the machines into very different motorcycles.

[​IMG]
    The love-em-or-hate-em lights on the KTM. I like them. There's an
    aluminum heat sink down the middle to keep the LED lights cool at speed.

I'm eager to try out the new R1250GS to see what it has to offer. Right now, on paper, it's not that appealing. I'm not happy about the additional weight that its gained, it seems to almost cancel out the extra hp - almost like two steps forward, one step back. Aesthetically, the new Beemer hasn't changed much from the 2018 model, and the Super Adventure R has it beat in the looks department, IMO. But on the other hand, I am much more comfortable with the 33.5" seat height vs the 35.1" KTM seat though. No dirtbike mounting needed.

That KTM engine though...!

[​IMG]

Next iteration of the RideDOT.com RTW motorcycle?
    Nawer, Max Wedge, Moosietoo and 11 others like this.
  2. Sinnergy

Sinnergy Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Hi Gene,

I'm not a BMW snob (really), but I thought I might have some input for you...

In the same world as yours; I had a '07 'GSA that I absolutely loved, but as it approached 80K miles I thought it might be smart to look for something a little less long in the tooth. Inseam hasn't been much of an issue for me (mine runs to about 34 inches) and I tried out several other adventure bikes including the KTM/A, S10, and AT. I ended up as the second owner of a low-mile, Wasser-Boxer with the big tank.

It has taken me a little time to warm to the drive-by-wire throttle and low viscosity oil, but I don't think I would have been as happy with any of the other choices.

Thank you for all of the vicarious adventures, and definitely try out a newer 'GSA before you swap canoes.

--S
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Nice jargon free, real world write up. Thx.
    I'd like to hear your impressions of some other bikes as well.
  4. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt

Oddometer:
    2 remarks Gene:
    - For you I would advise a test ride on the 1290 SuperAdventure S, same frame, same engine, same dash but smaller wheels (19"-17") making it more nimble AND substantially lower, dealing with your two negatives...
    - Not sure about the Ride Mode experience Isak had, on the SAR the off-road mode only affects power, ABS and Traction Control, there's no electronic suspension.
    Deuce likes this.
  5. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My personal thougths: KTM and BMW Adv "dirt/off road" bikes => Too expensive, too heavy, too much electronic. Triumph Tiger, and Yamaha Tenere can be also included, all those trendy and markting toys in fact...
    Let's get back to basis => Africa Twin!
    GiddyThump and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  6. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure Gene is looking for a dirt/off road bike but rather a sturdy, capable, durable and comfortable RTW tourer...
  7. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    This guy has been on the road doing what we all dream about for over 6 years....do you think he really cares which bike WE think he should get? :rofl:rofl:D
  8. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear! Few are in the fortunate position (health, wealth and other circumstances) to be able to make their dreams become reality. To not do it if you can is a tragedy.

Keep us apprised!
    Phrog and BigEasy like this.
  9. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Having ridden an older GS ADV for a summer, I feel it's a great road bike but too heavy to take on some of the gnarlier trails we sometimes venture out on. Because eventually I'm going to drop it. And then I'm going to have to pick it up... :uhoh

And the new one is even heavier! So I'd probably pass on a new GS ADV. The KTM SAR/SAS is about 20 lbs lighter compared to the current non-ADV R1200GS. And the new R12GS is 10 lbs heavier than the current! Not a good trend.

Yes, I sat on an older 1090 Adventure which has the same seat height as the 1290 SAS. Closer to the R1200GS and more manageable. Also tubeless tires, which I'm a big fan of.

I did spend a bit more time on the SAR during the last week. The engine is *very* lumpy compared to the boxer twin and the even more refined parallel twin. Not sure I could live with that long-term. New F850GS has almost 100 hp. Close to what my 2006 R12GS makes... And it has tubeless tires! Hmmm... Just needs wider bars, like the 12GS and SAR.

Yes, I'd also like to test-ride an Africa Twin as well. Wet weight is only about 10 lbs lighter than the SAR, so it's in the same range. But it's a lot of bike for the money!

It's always fun to window-shop and compare notes with other owners though.

Honestly, I'll probably end up scooping up a couple-years old R1200GS. I reckon there will be a lot of low-mileage models ripe for the picking when the R1250GS comes out! :dukegirl
  10. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm certain this will be the case so you should be able to pick up a great buy. :beer
  11. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have spent the last two weeks riding around Baja on a new African Twin. It weighs in at over 500 pounds but it feels like a dirt bike on anything but deep sand. I only wish Honda could shave another 100 pounds from this awesome bike.
  12. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trend now is to smaller bikes not larger, who needs 1200 cc to get up to the speed limit
    CowboyFatBob likes this.
  13. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many moto decisions are not based on needs, but wants.....
  14. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed the reason, but no 1090R considerations? Plenty of "go" with a lot less weight. That said.... new 790 Adv is coming. From what I've heard from pros with first hand experience testing it out, it is going to be quite a machine. Only slightly less power than the 1090R but even lighter.... win win :drif:D
  15. Rock709

Rock709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe only around 30lbs in the difference of the 1090r and 1290r
  16. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 16 lbs difference full of fuel actually. :D
    Averaging out the weight of Fuel at 1.69lbs per Liter makes the total weight (less luggage of course) come in at:
    1090R - 503 lbs
    1290R - 516 lbs
    1200 GSA - 630 lbs

27 lbs shy of a hundred pound difference between the GS and the 1090r, both making 125 HP. It is the least expensive out of the 3 as well. Seems like a no brainer to me if it is at all an option. That said, the 1290R is more fancy than the 1090R, I'll give it that

The thing I wonder about is dealer availability and support globally for KTm vs. BMW. There is no denying that BMW have a lot of dealerships in a lot of places. That said, Lyndon is getting along just fine on his travels... so maybe not such a factor??
  17. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    AAAfrica?
  18. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Gene and Neda how are things going?
  19. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allow me to pick up their trail from where they left off......They sold the bikes(all 4) flew home to $$$ canada, worked for two arduous years and they are now getting a bit antsy and in January will be starting on to Africa on twin Africa Twins. :y0!
    DrSmooth and Rich Rider like this.
  20. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    LOL! Wow, that's ominously close.

The trip is not over, but we're taking a break from everything: riding, touring, blogging, etc. It was getting a bit too much, we were getting burnt out and we needed a change.

We are back in Canada, figuring out our next move. Instead of camping out in Toronto, we've relocated to the west, in Kelowna BC, where we're going to be snowboard bums for the rest of the winter.

[​IMG]
    This is our new home. Big White.

[​IMG]
    Different kind of riding.

[​IMG]
    Neda says Hi!

We're also seeing if West Coast living is more our speed. Toronto is stupid expensive and doesn't cater to our interests, snowboarding in the winter, motorcycling/dirtbiking in the summer. We've got all that for cheaper out here, seems a no-brainer. So far...